Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

H Street: father son adventure

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I have to learn the braking capabilities better.

Anyone else have trouble getting this car to stop?

I have had issues getting use to these cars braking capabilities for some reason during autocross. This is my 5th season running the fist and this year I feel I finally and starting to figure out brakes with this car. I assume your on good pads and not the low dust pads and on upgraded fluid?

OP
m3kerry
Thread Starter #62
I do not but that is a good point. I’ve not done anything to the car other then racewheels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
m3kerry
Thread Starter #64
Quick recap of the 2 days

Day 1 we walked the course a lot and the child did find his way around on the 1strun without DNF’n. We took him to the practice course before he ran. He hit cones on both of the 1sttwo runs and we asked him to back off a little for the 3rd. So, we ended day 1 with a slow 75.9. Honestly just happy to get a time with no experience on big courses.

Day 2 we walked a lot again. Had the pace to be lower mid-pack on day 2 but cones and the car over heating held him back.

Super great moment of being pissed the car over heated and then 10 minutes later starting to plan next year and coming back.

I spent money for 6 tires this year on this car and had less than 1k in the season. The father son time was priceless.

The 1m and Tesla had north of 15k in them to run the cars for comparison for a 6thand 20thplace trophy and a lot questioning what the f are we doing……

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kt3xUWhhZo

OP
m3kerry
Thread Starter #67
Figured I would start making how to videos. Turn around a point so often messed up and was really missed by most everyone at the last local. I was 4th behind 3 cars that have trophied at NATS and on that has been 2nd. So, with just tires I beat a lot of good drivers in better prepped cars all do to distance.

View: https://youtu.be/oBxHO9wESyI

Thanks for the videos... I was wondering... Do you run the ST in Sport mode or DSC off mode? Asking as I tried Sport for the first time in my 4th run this weekend for both Saturday and Sunday, and even though it felt a lot slower and weird, the time improved. Not convinced it's better but PERHAPS I can turn a little tighter get on the gas a little earlier and a little harder for slightly better acceleration coming out of a turn? Or just the learniong curve for the last timed run factor... I need to read up on Sport Mode it as I haven't educated myself beyond the obvious on the modes. Konis all around, max front neg camber, Bridgestones at 42F 36R and heavy rear swaybar, car seems to be handling better than ever otherwise.

OP
m3kerry
Thread Starter #72
That is the most common set of parts. I have been running with just wheels but plan the budget build over the winter. The 1m sold so I’ll use some of that money.

I turn traction control off. Mine does not have a sport button. Typically you don’t want to turn any modes on that changes the input of the throttle. In my experience, sport mode often means touchier throttle which is not good for Autocross.

Tire pressure is about right

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That is the most common set of parts. I have been running with just wheels but plan the budget build over the winter. The 1m sold so I’ll use some of that money.

I turn traction control off. Mine does not have a sport button. Typically you don’t want to turn any modes on that changes the input of the throttle. In my experience, sport mode often means touchier throttle which is not good for Autocross.

Tire pressure is about right
There is not a separate button for the Sport mode, you just hit the ESC off button briefly and do NOT hold it down for as long as it takes to completely shut down the TC, or the most intrusive parts of ESC. [wink]

Last edited:
OP
m3kerry
Thread Starter #75
These is not a separate button for the Sport mode, you just hit the ESC off button briefly and do NOT hold it down for as long as it takes to completely shut down the TC, or the most intrusive parts of ESC. [wink]
Good to know. I always held for 5 seconds and turned it off.

On the 1M there is a separate sport mode button. It basically turns the throttle into an on off switch. Really bad for racing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the videos... I was wondering... Do you run the ST in Sport mode or DSC off mode? Asking as I tried Sport for the first time in my 4th run this weekend for both Saturday and Sunday, and even though it felt a lot slower and weird, the time improved. Not convinced it's better but PERHAPS I can turn a little tighter get on the gas a little earlier and a little harder for slightly better acceleration coming out of a turn? Or just the learniong curve for the last timed run factor... I need to read up on Sport Mode it as I haven't educated myself beyond the obvious on the modes. Konis all around, max front neg camber, Bridgestones at 42F 36R and heavy rear swaybar, car seems to be handling better than ever otherwise.
It had never even occurred to me to try sport mode. I was turning everything off, pretty much automatically. But now I'm curious enough to try it. Thanks.

why the rear swaybar vs. a stiffer front? I'd heard locally that people were having success putting in the base model front swaybar.

why the rear swaybar vs. a stiffer front? I'd heard locally that people were having success putting in the base model front swaybar.
The rear swaybar was 1-2 seconds faster on a 50 second course for me, and I ran with it removed, installed, removed, and installed again, and have several consistent and excellent GS and HS cars as benchmarks. Two benefits for me were first of all it provided much more grip to the inside front tire (by supporting the diagonally opposing rear of you follow) and second also easier and more predictable to rotate car especially decreasing radius turns, those are the best. Better driving would yield just as much for me BTW and that will come, I’ve gotten away from AX for 15 years and the wide loose driving habit from road racing and motorcycles and not getting too close to the cones yet probably costs me even more than that.

I was talking to the guy that won HS this year at nationals, he said he kept stock sway front/rear. His issue with a stiffer rear was the perpensity to increase the likely hood of lifting inside rear tire. Maybe thats just a lincoln setup with high bite and fast sweepers.

I was talking to the guy that won HS this year at nationals, he said he kept stock sway front/rear. His issue with a stiffer rear was the perpensity to increase the likely hood of lifting inside rear tire. Maybe thats just a lincoln setup with high bite and fast sweepers.
Seems that the car is fine for AX with stock suspension even, and I’m always learning what works for others. It lifts the rear inside either way on the sweepers, not sure how that logic works, but of course a National Champ has much better handle on setup than I do, and I’m a long way from there. I wanted to get rid of the rear swaybar, but it seems to make a significant difference, so I’m not sure what to think. 🤷‍♂️