Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

High boost = whistling/honking sound?

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Maybe I need to get under there again to check all my clamps. The t-bolt clamps that came with the kit from Modbargains seemed maybe too large. I had to crank all of them down until there weren't any threads left.

I don't think I can get to them with the bumper still installed though. Not looking forward to doing that all over again.
Good point...If you've run out of threads on your T-Clamp there is a very good possibly they are not tighten adequately...

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
I think I might have figured it out. It sounds like my sound symposer can't handle high boost and is leaking.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Are there any other reports of people springing leaks?
Haven't heard of any specific reports here on our forum yet...Symposer box should be ok for stock boost levels as its designed for....However, I view plugging the symposer tube as a preventative measure in the event that the thin diaphragm in the symposer box tears or fails during much higher boost conditions...

That said, it does sound like you also have some cleaning up to do with respect to installing properly sized clamps particularly since you mention running to the very end of threads or have bottomed out on what sounds like a few oversized T-clamps..

Good luck and keep us posted as to what you find out!

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I deleted my sound noise maker asap, so I never gave it a chance fail. I hated it anyway. 2nd day I had the car, I put a sock inside it, lol. After that, I called "my S-class fiesta".

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
Before I had the exhaust I felt it was quite necessary to hear what the engine was doing. Now that I have the exhaust system and downpipe I can't tell if the symposer is even making any noise.

Time to go look up how to remove it so I can verify.

Constant drone I wouldn't expect to come from the DV, that would generally jsut happen as the DV tried to open or close, especially now when they are more electronically controlled.

For the Symposer, pretty much just pull the hose and plug the hole.
I like this little guy. Haven't deleted mine yet, but this is the route I'd go.
http://www.boombaracing.com/fiesta-st-sound-symposer-delete/

or

http://www.deadhookmotorsports.com/2014-15-Fiesta-ST-Sound-Symposer-Delete-Kit-p/17001.htm

for $35-$40 it's not worth jimmy-ing my own solution. The tapped and threaded bung makes for a nice bonus.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
Boomba symposer delete is out for delivery today. After installing it will only take on WOT high boost run to tell if the symposer is the culprit.

I'll update this thread.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #31
Here's a video of my car on the dyno today. You can hear the noise over all the other noises.

[video=youtube;GJxo1mfMlZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJxo1mfMlZY&feature=youtu.be[/video]