Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

High Traction Front Tires (Track Tires) with Summer Rear Tires

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
So... in the pursuit of more traction, has anyone run two different types of tires for their 'fun' days? I'm considering mounting up some Toyo R888R tires on my spare wheels but only doing two as I would only run them on certain days and really, do we NEED that much traction in the rear??

Thoughts??

Also, yes, I've considered going up in tire but I'm already pushing the limits of stock fenders with my 225/45R17's (which the R888R's would also be in).

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Your asking for the car to rotate way more in rear. I had a friend with this theory on an acr neon. Was with him on hwy when he had to quick swerve to avoid semi tire in the lane. Things got real interesting when spinning out on hwy when rear end broke loose. I'd never run that style setup unless at drag strip.

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Your asking for the car to rotate way more in rear. I had a friend with this theory on an acr neon. Was with him on hwy when he had to quick swerve to avoid semi tire in the lane. Things got real interesting when spinning out on hwy when rear end broke loose. I'd never run that style setup unless at drag strip.
Well, it's not like my summer tires are low traction (Continental ExtremeContact DW's) but point taken.

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
If you don't have an lsd , start saving for one. Traction improvement is tremendous with getting one.
Good to know! Do you think there is any performance drop / gain to be had with the different LSD's? Not to completely steer the conversation in that direction but I've always been curious as to WHICH LSD performs the best.

So... in the pursuit of more traction, has anyone run two different types of tires for their 'fun' days? I'm considering mounting up some Toyo R888R tires on my spare wheels but only doing two as I would only run them on certain days and really, do we NEED that much traction in the rear??

Thoughts??

Also, yes, I've considered going up in tire but I'm already pushing the limits of stock fenders with my 225/45R17's (which the R888R's would also be in).
My current setup for the twisties is 205/40R17 R888Rs all-around. Swap-in new front pair about every 2000-mile. Older worn fronts gets rotated to the rear. Adjust F/R tire pressures for preferred throttle-lift rotation balance.

Initially tried R888R (front) and Falken RT615k+ (rear)... the only place for the RT615k+ is in the TRASH! [:(!] Run the rear Falkens hard and they would slip, first (and too much), overloading the outside front R888R and the FiST would run wide. Not saying that other other extreme-summer tires won't work... just the Falkens didn't grip. Not in front. Not in the rear.

Hope you have better results mixing R888R front with something else in the rear. New R888Rs in front, older ones out-back has worked well for me.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Good to know! Do you think there is any performance drop / gain to be had with the different LSD's? Not to completely steer the conversation in that direction but I've always been curious as to WHICH LSD performs the best.
Some have claimed that the helical gear/Torsen style diffs are WORSE in the snow/ice than even our factory nannies and open diff (given the same exact tire setup), but I cannot imagine they would be worse than a clutch pack type, or locker style limited slip diff in those conditions. [dunno]

I would STILL like to know the bias ratio differences between all of the various limited slip Torsen type diffs out there for our app (Quaife, M-Factory, Wavetrac, etc.), as that would play into both on track dry performance differences as well as rain/snow/ice performance differences, but it seems that NO ONE from these companies is willing to divulge that info ;)