Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hood release not working. Need ideas.

PhoenixM3

Last night I hit some snow that was in between lanes while driving at 80+ MPH. Lower front bumper is destroyed, but FMIC (DHM race version) appears unscathed. When the impact occurred, the hood release was partially activated. What I didn’t see was the cable had likely popped out from the latch end of the release mechanism. Now how do I get the damn thing open?

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Disconnect it at the lever and see if you can pull it that way. If you can't, you'll probably have to put it on a lift and find a way to reach the latch from underneath the car.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Might have to jimmy it open with a long pick through whats left of the grille

I've been there done that. Getting it popped free is an easy job but it REQUIRES TWO PEOPLE. What you have to do is reach up from under the car and find the cable jacket on top of the radiator cover while it's flopping around due to the second person inside the car is repeatedly trying to release the hood. Place fingers on top of that cable jacket and when you feel it slide towards the passenger side clamp down on that cable by pressing it down on top of the radiator cover. At that point the hood should release. Once open snap the cable jacket into it's clip and if you want to insure it wont happen again use a small wire tie to insure it won't ever pop out of that clip.

OP
PhoenixM3

PhoenixM3

Thread Starter #5
All, I got it thanks! I was able to get a 10” extension and 10mm socket in between the hood and the front bumper and simply remove the 2 bolts holding the latch mechanism. When I did get the hood open, I discovered the mounting tabs for both headlights were broken as well as pieces of the lower radiator support. I ordered a new front bumper for $670, and my restorer will paint the nose for the cost of the paint.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Good job on the fix. This is one of the primary reasons I wont lower my car any, I plow enough snow as it is. My pierce lower brace is constantly pinging on snowball chunks that come off of peoples mudflaps.