Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How early is too early for big turbo?

Besides being a car guy, I also enjoy nature, wild life, the ocean and clean air. I do my part and what I can. This catted ST smokes non-catted ones, LOL.
My 1985 e28 BMW failed smog last week, so I'm dealing with that right now to get it up to spec.

Where did you get the wastegate setup from? :)

OP
P
Thread Starter #83
That DHM setup is a beauty. I am about to start running an e30 tune from tune+. Hopefully that will tide me over long enough to get the car run in a bit more. Then turbo upgrade here I come!

Ahh dang. Waht's the setup for the EWG? I Basically have the copy cat version of this with no EWG. (I wish I could just call Russ)

I am at 7,900ish miles and went to the Mountune MRX kit over the weekend. I was very hesitant to do the install until I hit the 36k mark for warranty. I just couldnt stand looking at those beautiful boxes sitting in my garage any longer lol.

I am at 7,900ish miles and went to the Mountune MRX kit over the weekend. I was very hesitant to do the install until I hit the 36k mark for warranty. I just couldnt stand looking at those beautiful boxes sitting in my garage any longer lol.
How was your install? And did you remove the axle to get in easier?

How was your install? And did you remove the axle to get in easier?
Honestly it was a PITA. I was an F18 mechanic in the NAVY for 11 years. I am by no means an expert mechanic (cars are a different animal) but I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined. It took me roughly 15 hours. I didnt drop the axle, I didnt think it was necessary. Mountunes directions left a lot of ambiguity and this resulted in me having to drop the turbo twice as the clamp is not possible to install without the turbo as the bolts on the adapter are too big to squeeze the clamp into. There are a bunch of vaacuum hoses (3) that I should have installed on the turbo first prior to mounting but again, the instructions did not say so. My fault, I should have taken this into consideration first. If you do it yourself, make sure you have a solid weekend and the family has plans so they stay outta your hair!

Honestly it was a PITA. I was an F18 mechanic in the NAVY for 11 years. I am by no means an expert mechanic (cars are a different animal) but I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined. It took me roughly 15 hours. I didnt drop the axle, I didnt think it was necessary. Mountunes directions left a lot of ambiguity and this resulted in me having to drop the turbo twice as the clamp is not possible to install without the turbo as the bolts on the adapter are too big to squeeze the clamp into. There are a bunch of vaacuum hoses (3) that I should have installed on the turbo first prior to mounting but again, the instructions did not say so. My fault, I should have taken this into consideration first. If you do it yourself, make sure you have a solid weekend and the family has plans so they stay outta your hair!
Thanks for the heads up. I plan to install this weekend. I just got it last week but didnt have my CP-E exhale coming in the mail until tomorrow, and octane academy later this week. I was nervous about the install, but Mountunes instructions didnt look so bad. LOL Im glad I asked, as I will be running this on jackstands in my garage, with no lift like they have.

Thanks for the heads up. I plan to install this weekend. I just got it last week but didnt have my CP-E exhale coming in the mail until tomorrow, and octane academy later this week. I was nervous about the install, but Mountunes instructions didnt look so bad. LOL Im glad I asked, as I will be running this on jackstands in my garage, with no lift like they have.
No problem and good luck! The Mountune directions for drilling a small hole into the silcone elbow are extremely vague. This is for the compressor inlet elbow (the bigger one). I did mine on jack stands as well, no issues with room. I dropped the stocker out the bottom, removed the the manifold through the top with the wiper cowling removed. Assemble your new turbo and manifold together off the car. Tighten the adaptwr to the manifold with the turbo clamped but leave the clanp loose. Drop the assembly in through the top, snug your bolts then adjust the position of the turbo THEN tighten your clamp. This is what had me screamibg, cursing, bleeding and flustrated lol. You can email me at rosscoe6@gmail.com if you need pointers during your install as this is all painfully fresh in my mind still. I can help as much as I can.

No problem and good luck! The Mountune directions for drilling a small hole into the silcone elbow are extremely vague. This is for the compressor inlet elbow (the bigger one). I did mine on jack stands as well, no issues with room. I dropped the stocker out the bottom, removed the the manifold through the top with the wiper cowling removed. Assemble your new turbo and manifold together off the car. Tighten the adaptwr to the manifold with the turbo clamped but leave the clanp loose. Drop the assembly in through the top, snug your bolts then adjust the position of the turbo THEN tighten your clamp. This is what had me screamibg, cursing, bleeding and flustrated lol. You can email me at rosscoe6@gmail.com if you need pointers during your install as this is all painfully fresh in my mind still. I can help as much as I can.
Awesome man, I will email you if I have trouble. I want to try to get it on without removing the manifold, tho I am wanting as painless as possible, so if its too much trouble I will likely rip it off. Im guessing i should go get some replacement bolts for all this stuff.

I tried to keep the manifold on too. I couldnt get it to work. Your kit co.es with all new studs for the DP to the hot section and your tuebine to the manifold. It will not have any for your manifold to the block though. How many miles on yours? My mileage was liw enough that I felt confident reusing the manifold gasket and studs. I inspected them and found no evidence of stretching and they looked good. Reapplied everything with anti-seize and checked for leaks afterwards with soapy water and all good so far. Be sure to pick up some anti-seize, pb blaster, thread sealant and petroleum (holds the oil drain line gasket in place while wrestling that bastard in place). Sourskittle has a very helpful write up with all the tools you will need.

I tried to keep the manifold on too. I couldnt get it to work. Your kit co.es with all new studs for the DP to the hot section and your tuebine to the manifold. It will not have any for your manifold to the block though. How many miles on yours? My mileage was liw enough that I felt confident reusing the manifold gasket and studs. I inspected them and found no evidence of stretching and they looked good. Reapplied everything with anti-seize and checked for leaks afterwards with soapy water and all good so far. Be sure to pick up some anti-seize, pb blaster, thread sealant and petroleum (holds the oil drain line gasket in place while wrestling that bastard in place). Sourskittle has a very helpful write up with all the tools you will need.
So I have swapped my downpipe already and I have bolts rather than studs. If I can reuse those that would be ideal, rather than have future stud issues. I only have 9400 miles on mine. Just bought it brand new in September. So I assume I could just re-use everything but I had seen comments that made me question it. If I can reuse the downpipe bolts I will be stoked.

Personally I dont think I know enough to give you the right answer but for me, I did and would if I were under 10k miles. We have reused hotsection bolts in F18 afterburners as long as thread pitch did not stretch/change. If you can apply antiseize and run the nut down the threads and it doesnt bind up or goes on smooth, the bolt is fine. Again, just my opinion.

Personally I dont think I know enough to give you the right answer but for me, I did and would if I were under 10k miles. We have reused hotsection bolts in F18 afterburners as long as thread pitch did not stretch/change. If you can apply antiseize and run the nut down the threads and it doesnt bind up or goes on smooth, the bolt is fine. Again, just my opinion.
Yeah I cant imagine they will have too much issue. Never heard of problems with people that change DP's with more miles than I have. At least locally, so I think I will be fine. I will check em out tho. If I need to make parts runs I will be able to thanks to my non daily. Just excited to get it all done. Quick question, did you go with the uprated WGA? I did, but I havent seen much on people that have chosen it vs the standard.

Brura22 has, I did not. I am on crap 91 octane so I won't be making huge gains anyways. He has said it makes a huge difference. I was looking for more oomph and want to be around the 250-270hp range as this is my daily and I want to keep it until the apocalypse lol. Bruras write up is good too unser the MRX turbo thread. I think its around the 150 page range (I did months of reading before pulling the trigger).

Brura22 has, I did not. I am on crap 91 octane so I won't be making huge gains anyways. He has said it makes a huge difference. I was looking for more oomph and want to be around the 250-270hp range as this is my daily and I want to keep it until the apocalypse lol. Bruras write up is good too unser the MRX turbo thread. I think its around the 150 page range (I did months of reading before pulling the trigger).
Oh yeah I saw his, as I have definitely read through that thread twice now. I remember him saying something like..... HOLY CRAP, but never really saw any data of it before he disappeared. I am only running 91 right now as well but I am going to try to move into a higher octane tune with Boostane if Randy is feeling generous. If so I can get a 95 octane tune for track days or when I feel like I need the fun.

Does torque feel lacking below 3K with MRX?

Does torque feel lacking below 3K with MRX?
I am in the middle of tuning with Randy so I am not dialed in yet. I am only at 9 psi until he can safely agree to allow more boost. Tje target will be 27.5psi he said. Even with the low boost, I can tell the car drives mucj different, in a good way. Around town, I stay out of boost and my MPGs have gone up. So yes, to answer your question, torque is much lower below 3k. The power comes in steadily around 3k and it is awesome. I cannot wait for Randy to finish!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
The powertrain warranty is 60k, not 36... But either way, you want the power now or you don't and our engines are very stout anyway... Any Vdyno results yet? How are you enjoying it so far?