Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How many issues have you had?

There is no question that I love my 2016 Fiesta ST. Satisfaction and smiles .But as always, my car has been less than stellar in its reliability.I purchased my 2016 ST new with 0 miles. Ive had the following issues in 3 years of ownership:
1) A/C actuators (both) twice.
2) Tech broke evaporator assembly fixing the actuators, so Evaporator.
3) Gas tank Vaccum purge valve
4) Fan and assembly.
5) 3rd to 4th gear synchronizer and ring
6) CV joints, axle boots

I do not autocross my car. I do not race my car. In fact all I do iw some spirited driving here and there, but this is Miami FL....so not.many good roads.

Ive owned over 10 Ford Vehicles and The AC actuators seem to be an issue on almost newer vehicles from Ford...

Tell me about your experience.

At times.is frustrating..Am I alone??

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I also have a 2016 which I bought new, and my experience has been really good, I'm sorry you've had some issues.
The only problem that I have had is that my Sync 3 wouldn't update from the original version 1.0 which it came with, either over Wi-Fi or using a USB drive. A failed Wi-Fi update lead to an error message saying bad installation file, and then the voice recognition wouldn't work anymore. It was finally determined it to be a bad APIM. Fortunately, I was under warranty when it was discovered and it was fixed for free by the dealer, because my understanding is that part is pretty expensive.

Erick_V

Blend door actuator, axle boots, rattling interior, weeping axle seal, sync 2 issues and my AC acts weird sometimes. However I do autocross and I’m pretty hard on the car in general so it’s not too surprising

SPhilli911

Bought my car new in 2015 and it has just over 50,000 miles now, but I've only had an issue with the blend door actuator.

Otherwise, the car has been very (and honestly, surprisingly) reliable.

OP
L
Thread Starter #6
Oh yeah..Ditto on the Sync 2 to 3 upgrade crapfest.....

I've only had my '16 for about 15k miles so far, and the only issue I've had (that can be attributed to Ford anyway) is the blend door actuator.

I bought my 17 new and have only put 16k on it. The only problem ive had is a weird one. Any time I have the fan on for the defrost or floor, when I first start the car air will come out of the panel vent for about 5-7 secs before it actually switches to the actual setting its on. Anybody experience anything like this?

SPhilli911

I bought my 17 new and have only put 16k on it. The only problem ive had is a weird one. Any time I have the fan on for the defrost or floor, when I first start the car air will come out of the panel vent for about 5-7 secs before it actually switches to the actual setting its on. Anybody experience anything like this?
Same here, but this isn't necessarily a problem since I think all of them do this. Not sure what the reasoning is, but it sure is annoying when you are blasted with cold air on a cold morning before the defrosters kick in.

Same here, but this isn't necessarily a problem since I think all of them do this. Not sure what the reasoning is, but it sure is annoying when you are blasted with cold air on a cold morning before the defrosters kick in.
Yeah i just find it super annoying. Wondered what the actual problem is.

2016 owner here as well. I've only experienced a weird phenomenon of the engine temperature shot up while driving on the highway from California to Arizona, where the air outside was in the degree of 90s. I turned off my AC and pulled into a rest area, and everything went back to normal. I had a dealer services to get a reading, and was told there was no code. The transmission of my car was replaced at around 21k miles, per Ford dealership services' claim that I need a new one after not being able pinpoint why there are some clunking noise. They checked the driver side wheel bearing in the same duration, but failed to tighten the wheel adapter back on, which cost the adapter, wheel studs, and the rotor, on them. I still suspect I got a new tranny at 21k for no reason.

My car is, however, only at about 35k currently, so it's possible that things will not be so bright as it gets older. Who knows? I think I'll sell it and get a Honda Type-R later this year.

I hope what you described is the end of your negative experience with your car, btw.

OP
L
Thread Starter #12
And oh yeah..The dealership called last time during repairs that the wheel lock key i have is the wrong one...They had to use the.dealer.universal key to take the wheels off. My thought is that dealer misplaced the key or the last dealer did.it. i was.basically told.by the service manager i need to buy a new set. When i contacted Ford was told that my siatuation has to be resolved at a dealer level and they cannot intervene. I guess Ford is yet another.company that does.not care.about how customers cars property and equipment is being managed...Ney.....The dont care.about providing service and resolution for something they created..i know..its just a key for the wheel locks..but is the principle.....enough rant..lol

haste

1000 Post Club
Only issues on my '15 with 79k on the odometer are leaking axle seals which I just replaced a couple weeks ago, blend door actuator, and the turbo oil drain was leaking around the hose joints. The turbo oil drain part has been superseded and is all metal now instead of 3 different pieces joined together. I assume models after '15 or '16 have the better designed turbo oil drain from the factory.

The car has been ultra reliable considering how I drive. It has also done two full weekends at VIR and a few autocrosses.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
2017, 25k miles. I’ll only list the issues not caused by me. I am extremely picky about fitment/squeaks/rattles, so I might just be intolerant of a car at this price point. The car is obviously built to a price target, so perhaps I am just too picky.

- clunking grinding when rolling to a stop. Diagnosed as bad axles. Dealer replaced the bad axles, but
- dealership replaced axles but used the wrong seals, which led to all my trans fluid leaking into my driveway overnight. Somehow they replaced the seals in like 45 minutes the next morning (but only put 1.5l of fluid in the trans). after axles and trans refill the noise was qu
- failed evap system, leading to lots of fuel in my oil and constant fuel/oil burning smells in the cabin. Replacement evap system and lines and the fuel in oil and oil burning smells went away. The car no longer stumbles after filling up with gas, so that’s cool.
- car constantly died after filling with gas, resolved via the prior fix
- shifting felt like poo, lots of whining. Dealership said it’s fine. I put in 2l of ravenol mtf-2, only 1.5l of fluid came out. Shifting felt better, but still really “notchy” and it doesn’t like going from 3 to 4 when it’s cold, I have to wait a moment between 3 and 4
- paint “fell off” the rear bumper in strips. Originally dealer challenged me on this but they caved and repainted after I pointed out the places that I *had* scratched and said I didn’t expect them to fix, and said I’d pay for those ones.
- drivers side exterior door handle basically wiped off around the lock unlock button within weeks of getting the car. They repainted it without a fight.
- drivers seat squeaks like an old hotel bed while gettin’ jiggy. Annoying but not worth a dealership trip. Only happens when it’s adjusted just the way I prefer it.
- passenger door inside handle - The screw cover on the handle fell off the first time I used the passenger door. I stepped on it while looking for it and smashed it so I bought a new one :p
- clunking from drivers side rear suspension when the car is cold. Dealer could not replicate. Unresolved but not a big deal.
- passenger side engine mount or something in that area is really squeaky when backing up while the car is cold. Dealership said normal. I requested they inspect the mounts and they said they were fine.
- when getting moving in first, driveline feels “rubbery” like the engine rocks when the clutch engages. Requested they check the mounts. They said it’s “normal” and that my mounts were fine. Ordered poly inserts for driver and passenger side mounts but am presently physically unable to install. May just pay a shop to do it. Already have Cobb rmm.
- if I turn the steering wheel full lock and slowly release the clutch, it feels like the entire driveline flops during clutch engagement. Dealership says “normal”, mounts are fine.
- exhaust smell in car. Dealership blamed my mbrp exhaust. Still does it with stock exhaust and a new gasket. Measured CO levels and they’re consistently 20-30% higher in the hatch area. Currently looking for leaks. Tightening the rear hatch is my next target, haven’t figured out how yet. It’s not an exhaust system problem - if there’s one thing I know really well it’s the FiST exhaust system lol.
- tons of rattles and squeaks. Not worth a dealership trip, I place a little silicone grease at squeaky plastic interfaces and add acoustic/mass damping foam when I track noises down.
- when cruising, if I clutch in and roll to a stop, the flywheel clacks and clanks as it spins down. Dealership said normal, but I swear it sounds like grindy bearings. I don’t think this is normal dmf noise, but it bothers me a lot. I coast down in-gear and only clutch in at the last moment and the sound doesn’t present itself.
- the little nubbin that the engine cover seats onto, rear passenger side atop the engine, sheared off while hand tightening. Bought a new one and it’s been fine.

the pros, though.
- compared to my fiat, everything works and parts don’t fall off.
- compared to my fiat, after repainting my paint hasn’t “fallen off”
- it’s never died on me or left me stranded.
- even the cheap components seem reasonably well made.
- dealership, besides “no trouble found” on some stuff, has been very accommodating, almost always giving me a loaner or rental right away when I drop off. I have gathered this is not normal though.
- the car was almost throwaway cheap, so I am probably nitpicking.
- parts are stupid cheap compared to almost all the other new cars I’ve bought in recent history.
- great aftermarket support - Ron/whoosh is amazing and patient with my questions and there are so many part options to modify and enhance the car and they’re all dirt cheap.

at the end of the day, I am satisfied with the purchase considering what I paid, but I am unlikely to keep it once the warranty is up. The car fulfills the objective of a cheap beater that I can still have fun with without going extralegal speeds. It handles well, the “go”, “turn”, and “stop” parts seem pretty reliable. Most of my modifications were intended to make the car “meaner” and add a little character that I missed from my Abarth. I still miss the Abarth almost every day, and I still think stock for stock, from a dead stop, the Abarth was faster, but the FiST is technically the “better” car. You just can’t realistically compare it to a car that costs 70-100 grand, so I have to bear that in mind and keep perspective... though the FiST is WAY more reliable than my wife’s ever Alfa was, hands down, and that car cost way more.

OP
L
Thread Starter #15
And on that Bombshell!!!! LOL.
Keep sharing!

19 fist which I bought new.When its below 20 degrees my 1st and 2nd is super hard to get into and then 3rd feels a little notchy.Humming at or around 40 to 50mph.Every day when I back out of the driveway I hear a light clunk from rear driver side.Thinking about trying Ravenol for the tranny and have koni's with swift springs sitting in the garage.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
2017 w/ 33k - no issues other than the occasional rattles that come and go inexplicably. I've only been to the dealer two times (for oil changes); otherwise, I take care of the mods and the routine maintenance myself (with a few exceptions). Hopefully, I haven't jinxed it with this post! ;)

I have a 17 with just over 20K. No racing of any sort, but a fair amount of spirited driving. The blend door actuator went out about a year ago, and now the warranty replacement is doing the same thing. I hate the thoughts of taking it back to the dealer (it's still under warranty), as my car was full of broken plastic bits after they replaced the first one. Did they remove the old one by smashing it with a hammer?

Brake rotors show a surprising amount of wear for 20K, but my experience with performance cars is limited, so that may be normal.

It's hard to describe, but my biggest concern is that my car feels noticeably "not new" for only 20K (clutch is a little grabby, little noises here and there, etc.), even though I'm really particular about car care and maintenance, and it's not really even a daily driver (I have another vehicle for bad weather, carrying stuff, etc). Other than the Ford truck, all the new cars I've purchased in the last 30 + years have been Japanese or Korean imports, and they seemed to feel just like new for a whole lot longer. Even the ford truck felt new longer while being used as a truck. This concerns me a bit for the future...

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have a 17 with just over 20K. No racing of any sort, but a fair amount of spirited driving. The blend door actuator went out about a year ago, and now the warranty replacement is doing the same thing. I hate the thoughts of taking it back to the dealer (it's still under warranty), as my car was full of broken plastic bits after they replaced the first one. Did they remove the old one by smashing it with a hammer?

Brake rotors show a surprising amount of wear for 20K, but my experience with performance cars is limited, so that may be normal.

It's hard to describe, but my biggest concern is that my car feels noticeably "not new" for only 20K (clutch is a little grabby, little noises here and there, etc.), even though I'm really particular about car care and maintenance, and it's not really even a daily driver (I have another vehicle for bad weather, carrying stuff, etc). Other than the Ford truck, all the new cars I've purchased in the last 30 + years have been Japanese or Korean imports, and they seemed to feel just like new for a whole lot longer. Even the ford truck felt new longer while being used as a truck. This concerns me a bit for the future...
Its an Economy pocket rocket....I knew that getting into it. Its NOT the flagship F150 that ferd takes all their pride in. I accepted that and deal with things as they pop up. I just get creative with the things that pop up.....Like their poor paint.... . Man do I have an idea for that come spring. Its ok...You're not the only one!

Mine is a 2016 with 17k miles. To the best of my knowledge the previous owner had to get software update for the hvac (wierd) and that's the only issue so far. It has some intermittent rattles and the driver's seat squeaks a fair bit (have to look into that).