Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How much faster is a s280 build vs stage 2

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Lol I love it when people who do not have S280‘s on their cars try to tell me how fast my car is. You do not know what you speak of.
I've owned a gsx750 and an ST with an S280. There is no contest. Now when I get my full E30 tune? Jury is still out on that one.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I've owned a gsx750 and an ST with an S280. There is no contest. Now when I get my full E30 tune? Jury is still out on that one.
GSX750 is under 5 lbs/hp. To get the same power to weight ratio our car needs to be cranking out 575hp lol. It's still going to be no contest. Even at 400whp we're at a 20% disadvantage in power to weight (assuming 15% drivetrain loss)

Lol I love it when people who do not have S280‘s on their cars try to tell me how fast my car is. You do not know what you speak of.
And you obviously don’t ride or know what I have in my ST. Motorcycle….bwahahahahaha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

believe me you will feel a difference a big one in the mid and top it will pull like a freight train above 2800-3k and will accelerate like a motorcycle. It’s hard to compare numbers though because dyno readouts vary and vdyno which a lot of us use in a pinch is an approximation. Albeit one that gets close to real numbers. The main thing is how it is when you are driving and trust me it will be big difference between stock turbo with a tune vs S280.
I think that The Homie Dpro catches too much flak about the "accelerate like a motorcycle" piece.

I actually thought it was a bit rich, myself, and then I installed S280 in my (wife's) ST. For me, it isn't comparable in the actual rate of acceleration, the actual feet per second second squared. It just isn't. However, the way the acceleration is delivered, the character of the powerband, is not unlike that of a NA big bore 4 cylinder in a motorcycle. Very linear, but there is definitely a crescendo, and it comes on the right side of the tach.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I think that The Homie Dpro catches too much flak about the "accelerate like a motorcycle" piece.

I actually thought it was a bit rich, myself, and then I installed S280 in my (wife's) ST. For me, it isn't comparable in the actual rate of acceleration, the actual feet per second second squared. It just isn't. However, the way the acceleration is delivered, the character of the powerband, is not unlike that of a NA big bore 4 cylinder in a motorcycle. Very linear, but there is definitely a crescendo, and it comes on the right side of the tach.
This I never said it felt like a Jixrr sheesh that was a factory race bike right off the showroom floor in fact I knew guys who raced them professionally because of that .

leave it to these guys to take it way over board just because I get colorful. Though on looking at toofless posts he has a stock turbo with a tune.
He may ride a bike but his car is mild unless he just recently in the last month or so put a hybrid or bigger turbo on.

Though his posts do not allude to that. Also comparing pure hp does not match the feel TQ. TQ is where you get the kick in the pants feel. oh and ya the S280 has a nice broad flat TQ band compared to a hybrid which is another reason I like it.

Anyways most these guys commenting on my comments do not have S280’s so there comments come without experience vs yours.

Last edited:
Just actually did this went from dizzy stage 2 to tune+ s280+airtech manifold. So let me tell you, it is night and day. You do notice that, like what others stated, the city use is a bit different but once you get to 3k itll pull until redline. Adam did a stellar job, actually got it dyno tuned by him on 91 and sitting around 277whp and 303wtq at 23psi. The butt dyno tells the real story and it makes me smile everytime.

LILIKE16ST

It’ll run good but NOTHING like a motorcycle. Maybe a 250…

I think you're sleeping on what these things are capable of. My fbo x37 16 st could keep up decent with my buddies 05 636 ninja. He would pull me by 2 car lengths or so buy I could keep up decent. I would walk away from any 250 lol. An s280 is gonna be just as fast or faster depending on your other supporting mods. Has the potential to be much quicker with the right fueling mods.

Matter of fact I plan on switching to an s280 in the future and I'm gonna do +30% injectors and an upgraded hpfp. I would like to do 350+ to the wheels around 28-29 psi on e30/e40. I'm around 280 wheel right now on e30 fbo x37.

It's night and day different. I was able to get a combined 28 mpg on my E30 vs the stock E30 @ 24 mpg. Maybe it's just me but I think the Fiesta is pretty stabled as it does not feel fast until you look at the speedometer. I remembered one time I was going off the speedometer in a highway stretch in the middle of nowhere because the car felt like it was going 60 mph in my minivan.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
And you obviously don’t ride or know what I have in my ST. Motorcycle….bwahahahahaha.

I think you're sleeping on what these things are capable of. My fbo x37 16 st could keep up decent with my buddies 05 636 ninja. He would pull me by 2 car lengths or so buy I could keep up decent. I would walk away from any 250 lol. An s280 is gonna be just as fast or faster depending on your other supporting mods. Has the potential to be much quicker with the right fueling mods.

Matter of fact I plan on switching to an s280 in the future and I'm gonna do +30% injectors and an upgraded hpfp. I would like to do 350+ to the wheels around 28-29 psi on e30/e40. I'm around 280 wheel right now on e30 fbo x37.
Ya Just because he owns a sportbike besides his stock turbo tuned FiST he thinks he has it all figured out , no real life experience with bigger Turbo’s in this car. I have embarrassed motorcycles and much more expensive powerful cars with my S280 FiST . I pull 284 on 91 at 26-27lbs boost . Pulled 300whp on E30 and 340 wtq .
It drives stockish with a mild tune till around 3k then it’s just silly season depending on how much you floor it and it’s straight to redline no dip. So ya unless a person has owned a swapped Turbo FiST big or hybrid they really should not be commenting and it just makes them look like keyboard warriors.

Ya Just because he owns a sportbike besides his stock turbo tuned FiST he thinks he has it all figured out , no real life experience with bigger Turbo’s in this car. I have embarrassed motorcycles and much more expensive powerful cars with my S280 FiST . I pull 284 on 91 at 26-27lbs boost . Pulled 300whp on E30 and 340 wtq .
It drives stockish with a mild tune till around 3k then it’s just silly season depending on how much you floor it and it’s straight to redline no dip. So ya unless a person has owned a swapped Turbo FiST big or hybrid they really should not be commenting and it just makes them look like keyboard warriors.
I def plan on doing an S280 in the very near future. A sportbike power band is not quite what I'm after; at least a small displacement one. What I do enjoy about the stock turbo is rolling on it in top gear and not having to downs shift for adequate pull @3Krpm. What I do not like is how it falls on it's face after 5000 rpm. How does the S280 do in top gear on the highway?

I have owned several sport bikes (One with 230whp & 615lbs with me on it) and drag raced them competitively trapping 125 in the 1/8th and 155+ in the 1/4. I would love for my FiST to be that quick! Lol, but I'll be satisfied with 120ish traps.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I def plan on doing an S280 in the very near future. A sportbike power band is not quite what I'm after; at least a small displacement one. What I do enjoy about the stock turbo is rolling on it in top gear and not having to downs shift for adequate pull @3Krpm. What I do not like is how it falls on it's face after 5000 rpm. How does the S280 do in top gear on the highway?

I have owned several sport bikes (One with 230whp & 615lbs with me on it) and drag raced them competitively trapping 125 in the 1/8th and 155+ in the 1/4. I would love for my FiST to be that quick! Lol, but I'll be satisfied with 120ish traps.
it can pull in 6th or 5th it’s not suggested i.e. going for a dig, but I travel back and forth on the 5 between here and San Francisco and I occasionally have rolled on in 6th at 80 without thinking about it. Though usually I would downshift to 5th and if I wanted to scream past drop it to fourth and punch . At 80 mph in 6th you are revving around 3200 rpm which is definitely in the upward arc of this Turbo’s power band. You are not going to fall on your face or run out of steam at 5k :ROFLMAO:.
I do not think you will be dissapointed.

i have the turbo laying in wait to be installed in the Spring and plan to go uprated injectors with an e30 tune; from everything i've read that's the limit to how much power you can pump into the OEM engine/transmission if you still want to DD it. i've read on here everything from "this is the way" to "there's way too much power for the front end to really handle once you're past 280WHP" so everyone's mileage will vary.

@MO15Fiesta can speak to trap speeds on an s280; his build is taking the Fiesta to it's realistic limits and he documents his drags. if you wanna research how close you can get to putting down the best quarter miles, that's the build to study

I’m in this same boat lol. I’ve been stage 2 fbo for a bit now and am taking the jump to the ATP 2860 and I’m trying to fathom the power. I have experience with many many turbo cars, but the FiST is its own thing. I opted to go 2860 over the S280 as I want a more linear powerband and don’t “need” faster spool I guess. Yes I know sounds boring, but I plan on doing all fuel mods and meth injection.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I’m in this same boat lol. I’ve been stage 2 fbo for a bit now and am taking the jump to the ATP 2860 and I’m trying to fathom the power. I have experience with many many turbo cars, but the FiST is its own thing. I opted to go 2860 over the S280 as I want a more linear powerband and don’t “need” faster spool I guess. Yes I know sounds boring, but I plan on doing all fuel mods and meth injection.
The S280 is linear:ROFLMAO: it just spools faster than the 2860 plus if you drove a S280 powered car you would realize it drives quite well at low rpm and the fast spool does not make it less linear. That’s stock frame hybrid turbo’s S280 is a KO4 frame.
Just saying your reasoning may be a bit off.

I just got a Draggy for Christmas. Wanted to do some runs before I do the fueling upgrade. Most cars I've seen trap just under 110 without fueling mods. Getting in the low 300-340ish virtual dyno nets 110-115mph. Would love a 120mph trap car too, but I feel like its too greedy with a stock engine. I'm anxious for Dizzy to get done with his new engine build. I'm curious how it will hold. I feel like at the end of the day getting a sleeved/closed deck will be the answer to holding the power. MO15Fiesta is also flirting with the edge. Will be interesting to see how far he can stretch with the new HPFP he got in his setup. I think I'll personally just tune for low 300's and hopefully enough fuel to just run full e85. This mixing for e30 is for the dogs. I'm spoiled from having a flex fuel setup in my old car.

I
The S280 is linear:ROFLMAO: it just spools faster than the 2860 plus if you drove a S280 powered car you would realize it drives quite well at low rpm and the fast spool does not make it less linear. That’s stock frame hybrid turbo’s S280 is a KO4 frame.
Just saying your reasoning may be a bit off.
I moreso meant I don’t need it to hit me in the face at once.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I

I moreso meant I don’t need it to hit me in the face at once.
which it does not do in my opinion and experience. Thats the realm of a stock frame hybrid . The only time I got donkey Kick was on the E30 tune at base with no extra fueling . If you added extra fueling the donkey kick could be tuned out and you would be hitting 330- 340whp with just injectors and upwards of 360-380 with hpfp.

Last edited:
Man. This thread more than most others really makes me want a S280. But then there’s the other thread about smogging with the turbo in CA. @Dpro I think I might let you Guinea pig the smog process before I decide what to do turbo-wise 😬😜