Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How safe are Cobb OTS tunes?

Hey everyone, Im wondering how safe the Cobb OTS stage 1 93 tune is? I really like the overall feel of it compared to stratified (No disrespect, great tune, just not my style) and after looking at some data logs I do notice some knock events and negative corrections. Ideally, I want to run this through the winter until I get an intercooler, then give dizzy a try. I guess I just want to know if running the stage 1 OTS tune for an extended period of time will end up blowing something or causing unneeded wear. I always hear how the OTS tunes are "crap" and "less than ideal" and want my FiST to last as long as possible, while maximizing fun of course :).

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Interesting. I'd think that the Cobb tune would be among the most conservative. Did you happen to log anything before you installed the tune? I wish I had -- it would be interesting to have compared the knock events and negative corrections before and after.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey everyone, Im wondering how safe the Cobb OTS stage 1 93 tune is? I really like the overall feel of it compared to stratified (No disrespect, great tune, just not my style) and after looking at some data logs I do notice some knock events and negative corrections. Ideally, I want to run this through the winter until I get an intercooler, then give dizzy a try. I guess I just want to know if running the stage 1 OTS tune for an extended period of time will end up blowing something or causing unneeded wear. I always hear how the OTS tunes are "crap" and "less than ideal" and want my FiST to last as long as possible, while maximizing fun of course :).
Just go to Jason @Dizzy tuning...you wont regret it I promise. well worth the money! Cheaper than a protune/ Dyno tune!

Spork1569

Just go to Jason @Dizzy tuning...you wont regret it I promise. well worth the money! Cheaper than a protune/ Dyno tune!
Have had both the stratified stage 2 tune as well as 2 stages from Dizzy(E30, stage 2) and he is definitely my preferred tuner. Stratified is fun but after a while the tire spin gets old, as well as the lesser mileage.

Dizzy tune is smooth from takeoff and builds up in the higher rpms. Much better for a DD in my opinion but the power is still there when you floor it.

I felt Cobb had the same problem as stratified in they stuck all the power and torque down low, but the Cobb tunes are definitely more conservative in that even the stage 3 tune doesn't come close to even the stage 1 dizzy or stratified tune.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
My experiences with cobbs ots are alright. That being said im chasing gremlins elsewhere in the car. (I think....) And im feeling like the extra fuel they dumped into the tuning has prematurely worn my cat.

ROCKYFiestta

I love the feel of the dizzy have both 91 and e30 I just keep seeing shitloads of misfire counts but so far havnt found any answer to that mystery yet.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I had my car dyno'd at FSWerks. Paperwork shows 190 ATW with 271 torques. No, I have NO problems with their work, Vik is the best and the car has been RELIABLE with everything they did to the car. This is on 91 octane. This baby purrs on the freeway with 90,000 on the clock! I think too many people try to do too much to their cars and then find out they have problems later. Keep it simple and still go fast!

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
My partner has been running a Cobb Stage 3 map for 2 years, 60k+ miles. Completely fine, he uses it on the track and the street and it hasn't had a single issue. He has a dizzy e30 tune for the track as well but hes had more issues with that than anything with Cobb.

OP
S
Thread Starter #9
My partner has been running a Cobb Stage 3 map for 2 years, 60k+ miles. Completely fine, he uses it on the track and the street and it hasn't had a single issue. He has a dizzy e30 tune for the track as well but hes had more issues with that than anything with Cobb.
What kind of issues was he having?

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
What kind of issues was he having?
Idle is too low on the Cobb (hes got solid mounts and wants it higher)

Dizzy tune has caused him to throw torque performance codes, and he also started pissing oil out of the valve cover into the intake on this map (may have been a coincidence), it also usually runs VERY rich.

ROCKYFiestta

hmm I had one of these oil cap valve breathers and my car also pisses oil out of it ive been running dizzy stage 2 and e30, I was under the impression it was the breather thing so I removed it but never thought it was the tune. anybody can chime in some words of wisdom regarding this issue???

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm running Stage 3 on 91and have never had any problems. However, I had mine tuned by FSWerks as I don't touch anything technical! I leave stuff like that to the pro's so it's done properly!

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
hmm I had one of these oil cap valve breathers and my car also pisses oil out of it ive been running dizzy stage 2 and e30, I was under the impression it was the breather thing so I removed it but never thought it was the tune. anybody can chime in some words of wisdom regarding this issue???
It may have been coincidental, we changed the cover and the tune at the same time and it hasn't done it since.

Idle is too low on the Cobb (hes got solid mounts and wants it higher)

Dizzy tune has caused him to throw torque performance codes, and he also started pissing oil out of the valve cover into the intake on this map (may have been a coincidence), it also usually runs VERY rich.
How rich?

in the low 10s. OTS tune runs 11s normally.
Do you have an ethanol content gauge? If its running that rich I'd lean towards the ethanol at the pump being a more diluted blend, and if he only runs it at the track the computer isn't going to have enough time to adjust fueling.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I also was misting oil onto the Valve cover with a CFM cap. Replaced it with the stocker...no issues since.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

CaptainCheesy

U.S. Army Veteran
So I read over this thread, didn't quite get any solid answer on the Cobb AccessPort OST tunes. I've heard they're absolutely trash and will send a rod through your roof and all kinds of other crazy issues. Can anyone solely confirm or deny, perhaps with proof of some kind, that the OST tunes are acceptable?

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Minus my. Coil packs dying from age, and removing ill fitting cpe parts causing false knock readings. My ots tunes have been fine.

Personal experience are the cobb tunes are super conservative. If your engine blows apart and sends rods through the concrete or hood your engine had issues. I've logged so much and barely have even seen any counts of knock. Pretty much no corrections or anything on stage 3 with other matching mods.