Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hybrid Turbo?

So I bought a 2014 Fiesta ST back in Dec 2018 as a fun daily. I bought it with about 49k miles and had a Cobb intercooler, Injen intake, unknown exhaust and downpipe installed. I've since installed a Wilwood BBK, KW V3 Coilovers, AWR motor mounts, Mountune radiator, and a few other odds and ends. The other day I was replacing the Turbosmart dual port BOV and I noticed the previous owner had installed a Turbosmart IWG. The turbo housing is clearly OEM so now I'm wondering what the likely hood is that it could be a hybrid. I can't think of any real reason to install an aftermarket waste gate actuator without doing any work to the turbo as Id imagine you'd have to remove the turbo to complete the install. Is there any real way to tell other than pulling the turbo and looking at the internals? TIA

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Can you see what the spring pressure is 7 psi, 11psi, 14 psi. If its larger than 7 then it probably is not oem

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I thought it said the number on the face of the wastegate but just double checked the website and they don't in fact show that info so ignore my recommendation

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
So I bought a 2014 Fiesta ST back in Dec 2018 as a fun daily. I bought it with about 49k miles and had a Cobb intercooler, Injen intake, unknown exhaust and downpipe installed. I've since installed a Wilwood BBK, KW V3 Coilovers, AWR motor mounts, Mountune radiator, and a few other odds and ends. The other day I was replacing the Turbosmart dual port BOV and I noticed the previous owner had installed a Turbosmart IWG. The turbo housing is clearly OEM so now I'm wondering what the likely hood is that it could be a hybrid. I can't think of any real reason to install an aftermarket waste gate actuator without doing any work to the turbo as Id imagine you'd have to remove the turbo to complete the install. Is there any real way to tell other than pulling the turbo and looking at the internals? TIA
I have the 7psi wastegate. Holds about 2psi more on the top end on the stock turbo.

OP
T
Thread Starter #7
So update…it has an aftermarket inlet tube but from what I can tell, it looks like an OEM compressor wheel.

Attachments

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Btw, you don’t have to remove the turbo to swap the wastegate.

OP
T
Thread Starter #10
I used dental mirror to look at the wheel. Hard to tell if it’s larger. Difficult to get a picture.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
So update…it has an aftermarket inlet tube but from what I can tell, it looks like an OEM compressor wheel.
Did the car come with an AP? If it did you could datalog and dump the info to computer and stick it in vdyno to get an idea of numbers it is putting out that would tell you immediately if you had a stock turbo or a hybrid.
Though If you have a hybrid you should also be able to spin your tires like mad off the line when you dump the clutch.

OP
T
Thread Starter #12
Did the car come with an AP? If it did you could datalog and dump the info to computer and stick it in vdyno to get an idea of numbers it is putting out that would tell you immediately if you had a stock turbo or a hybrid.
Though If you have a hybrid you should also be able to spin your tires like mad off the line when you dump the clutch.
So it didn’t come with an AP (bought it from a dealer) I figured it was a stock turbo for the longest time and I tuned it with Mountune’s MR230 tune. It’ll peak at 20-21 PSI but I’m also in Phoenix where it’s nearly 100 degrees out.

Dialcaliper

How would I tell the different spring rates apart?
The two ways are to take the wastegate off, take it apart and see what spring is inside it, or else hook a mityvac up to the vacuum line and see what pressure the wastegate arm starts to move (crack pressure)

Also, if it’s a hybrid, you can remove that inlet elbow and measure the inlet diameter on the compressor housing. Stock is 38mm, hybrids usually enlarged to ~43mm or so.

Last edited:
How about a 3rd gear pull? If boost falls off a cliff after 5K rpm it's probably stock. I Think my turbo drops from 26.7psi 3K rpm down to 16psi at 6K. Unless that's in the tuning?