Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hybrid Turbo

matt-m3

I've recently bought a mk7 Fiesta ST which I suspect has a hybrid turbo installed but I haven't been able to confirm this yet but it gives off a really loud whistling noise which I've read is common in the X47-R hybrids. It sounds exactly like
this

Power wise the car feels like stock I haven't seen boost above 18psi on either the turbosmart boost guage or torque pro app.

Hoping to get it up on the ramp soon to get a look but I'm not sure if I'll be able to tell visually, my understanding is that with the hybrids the exterior housing is the same as stock turbo is this correct? What would be the best way to figure out if it has a hybrid turbo or not?

Last edited:

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I've recently bought a mk7 Fiesta ST which I suspect has a hybrid turbo installed but I haven't been able to confirm this yet but it gives off a really loud whistling noise which I've read is common in the X47-R hybrids. It sounds exactly like
this

Power wise the car feels like stock I haven't seen boost above 18psi on either the turbosmart boost guage or torque pro app.

Hoping to get it up on the ramp soon to get a look but I'm not sure if I'll be able to tell visually, my understanding is that with the hybrids the exterior housing is the same as stock turbo is this correct? What would be the best way to figure out if it has a hybrid turbo or not?
Ive seen some with a dark grey cerakote, almost like a graphite color.

That whistle is pretty indicative of a hybrid though.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Hybrids are modified stock turbos so it’ll “look” stock from the outside. They definitely whistle loudly with an aftermarket intake. Stock intakes are much quieter though. Only way to really tell is to pull it or use a camera to look at the turbine wheels. If it has an aftermarket WGA it’s probably a hybrid but a visual inspection should be used to confirm. Your tuner could probably tell if it’s flowing more air than stock too.

OP
M

matt-m3

Thread Starter #4
I'll take a look at WTA and remove the turbo inlet to see the turbine wheels when I get the car back it's currently being fixed for MAP sensor problems. It does have an aftermarket induction kit the cone type but I'm not sure which brand, it also has a airtec stage 2/3 intercooler not sure which it's tall and aftermarket boost pipes. Is it dangerous to run a hyrbid turbo without a map/tune? I bought the car from a dealer and I think that it's been put back to stock for selling after previously being mapped.

Here's a pic of the induction kit
enginebay.jpeg

I have an X47 and it does make that whistling noise. On WOT mine makes 26psi with the Pumaspeed map, so 18psi seems very low. You can remove the turbo elbow and check the size of the blades as ones in the hybrids are noticeably larger.