Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hyundai Elantra N: Civic Type R Competitor/Alternative?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
The cx30 is a blast....I was surprised in its capabilities. It may be a high choice on my list when a new vehicle is In order. I'm starting to accumulate vehicles that can only be driven in 50° + weather. It's not a bad thing but more of a running out of garage space thing.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
I'll have to go back and try a cx-5, too - the interior was legitimately punching way above it's asking price, and long term cost of ownership should be pretty good. They're not "fast" but they're.. god I sound old, but they're "peppy"

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'll have to go back and try a cx-5, too - the interior was legitimately punching way above it's asking price, and long term cost of ownership should be pretty good. They're not "fast" but they're.. god I sound old, but they're "peppy"
Doug Demurro does a review of the CX30* Check it out!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Sad* if indeed it is true. But yeah....Big Govt. Pushing Evs....even though we don't have enough raw materials on earth to supply all the EV batteries that are being pushed....plus not to mention the power grid to accommodate all the charging and No good solid way to charge a battery in under 5 mins like filling a gas tank up. Evs have their place but are NOT the solution.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

ronmcdon

Hope not entirely irrelevant but will most likely check out a '22 Golf R in a few weeks with a family member (not a car for me but will get to test drive).
The infotainment is supposedly beyond offensive but the driving dynamics have improved a lot over past haldex setups.
seems like a ride quality isn't bad, so a worthwhile consideration for those of us who are older or less comfortable with harsh ride or are just a bit feeble.

https://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/golf-r

allocation is a bit confusing right now but this thread seems helpful on some of the more recent pages

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/usa-2022-golf-r-order-process.9465545/page-96

download.jpg

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #48
I just heard on a youtube video comment that the Elantra N has some seam welding. If this is true which seemed like it was the Chassis is going to be solid!

I'm sure it might not outperform the FiST but damn what a hell of a sedan that will seat 4. Comfortably!

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I just heard on a youtube video comment that the Elantra N has some seam welding. If this is true which seemed like it was the Chassis is going to be solid!

I'm sure it might not outperform the FiST but damn what a hell of a sedan that will seat 4. Comfortably!
Yeah, my wife hates my fiesta. She’s taller than me, but she insists I should keep it. But the alternative for family trips is a minivan. So I’ve started looking at larger cars.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Yeah, my wife hates my fiesta. She’s taller than me, but she insists I should keep it. But the alternative for family trips is a minivan. So I’ve started looking at larger cars.
My friend made a mistake and wound up with kids, so he had to get a van - he has a v6 honda oddysey and it is ridiculous how good that v6 sounds :p

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Hope not entirely irrelevant but will most likely check out a '22 Golf R in a few weeks with a family member (not a car for me but will get to test drive).
The infotainment is supposedly beyond offensive but the driving dynamics have improved a lot over past haldex setups.
seems like a ride quality isn't bad, so a worthwhile consideration for those of us who are older or less comfortable with harsh ride or are just a bit feeble.

allocation is a bit confusing right now but this thread seems helpful on some of the more recent pages

View attachment 45978
Yeah the infotainment is laggy for no discernable reason. I know that they select infotainment processors for long term durability and flexibility in high heat and so on, but jeebus we've got refrigerators that can play doom now - there's no excuse for how choppy and laggy a 40k brand new car's infotainment is. Just take out the bullshit screens and give me back a double din hole in the dash if you are going to cheap out like that. The only thing holding me back from the Golf R is that I've owned too many vw's before ;)

ronmcdon

It's really too bad VW's media interface for the current (mk8?) Golf R and GTi was so poorly executed, especially since, imo Audi has been so well sorted out with their infotainment, virtual cockpit and general interface. Said family member had a 16 or 17 TT-S (very easy to live with day to day save for it's size) and it was a breeze to use.

But yeah I'd say if that doesn't sound like a deal killer, then it's definitely worth a test drive. Really curious how the newer AWD setup feels from past Haldex, although not quite sure one can tell on a typical test drive. Supposedly according to many reviews the current R is step up performance wise, but does suffer from giving the driver less feedback (which is okay for said family member car shopping looking for daily driver).

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
It's really too bad VW's media interface for the current (mk8?) Golf R and GTi was so poorly executed, especially since, imo Audi has been so well sorted out with their infotainment, virtual cockpit and general interface. Said family member had a 16 or 17 TT-S (very easy to live with day to day save for it's size) and it was a breeze to use.

But yeah I'd say if that doesn't sound like a deal killer, then it's definitely worth a test drive. Really curious how the newer AWD setup feels from past Haldex, although not quite sure one can tell on a typical test drive. Supposedly according to many reviews the current R is step up performance wise, but does suffer from giving the driver less feedback (which is okay for said family member car shopping looking for daily driver).
The new AWD system feels pretty good - but there is a super obvious interaction from the onboard computer. It's hard to describe... the back end will slide, but the entire process feels kinda videogame-y. It's fun, but you can also feel that the computer is there helping you make it happen but also waiting to catch you if you go too far. It's a world of difference from an early WRX where the AWD system basically shouts out "I'm doing my part, don't f**k this up!"

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

View attachment 45978

Let them offer the much smaller Polo in that same 'R' configuration over here, and I would consider getting back into a VDub once again. [wink] [driving]