Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hyundai Elantra N: Civic Type R Competitor/Alternative?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Indeed it's more about the exterior since all the engines are the same. I prefer the first gen Kona but I still like what the new Kona N is all about despite my utter hatred of crossovers, lol.
Am I going blind, or does the Kona N appear to be substantially bigger/bulkier dimensionally than the earlier, 1st gen Kona??

I like the concept of this Elantra N, but not needing, nor even wanting the extra room/bulk (like many on here do) turns me off to it even more than the styling does.

Same reasons I do not like the Stinger, and other rides in that category as well, which others just adore.

Now an i20 N I would be all over, if done properly. [wink] [driving]
But of course that will NEVER happen here in the land of 'bigger is the ONLY thing'. [mad][thumbdown]

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I like the front end. NGL, it looks like a fun car. Hyundai's really come a long way.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Not a fan of the wing on the Elantra. I get in a bad mood anytime I think about cars like the i20N and other little hatches or their little trucks we don't get here.

ronmcdon

Im also skeptical it being a CTR killer. It's not hard to imagine the elantra n w/ dtc getting better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, but it's another to do better lap times. You have to specify exactly what the Elantra does better than the CTR. The Sonoma track driving vid is not really a good indicator of how well the car drives at the limit, given it's likely a press event where you're unlikely to pass slower drivers and it was raining. Seems more like the car was driven at 3/10s so not really a good way to evaluate the Elantra N. I think upcoming lap times will determine how well the Elantra does.

I really do like the CTR most however (unlike most I love the 10th gen styling esp in Phoenix Yellow) and it'd be interesting to see if the 11th gen CTR does bring along an auto or dct transmission and what the costs are. Elantra N does make more financial sense given it's likely to be 7-10k cheaper given likely CTR dealer markups.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #30
Im also skeptical it being a CTR killer. It's not hard to imagine the elantra n w/ dtc getting better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, but it's another to do better lap times. You have to specify exactly what the Elantra does better than the CTR. The Sonoma track driving vid is not really a good indicator of how well the car drives at the limit, given it's likely a press event where you're unlikely to pass slower drivers and it was raining. Seems more like the car was driven at 3/10s so not really a good way to evaluate the Elantra N. I think upcoming lap times will determine how well the Elantra does.

I really do like the CTR most however (unlike most I love the 10th gen styling esp in Phoenix Yellow) and it'd be interesting to see if the 11th gen CTR does bring along an auto or dct transmission and what the costs are. Elantra N does make more financial sense given it's likely to be 7-10k cheaper given likely CTR dealer markups.
I believe it'll probably do 0-60 closer to 4.5 or 4.8 and the new suspension setup they have seems to be solid. I don't think it'll beat the upcoming CTR but really believe it'll give the previous CTR a run for its money.

PLUS, I don't think the CTR is going to be tangible due to dealer markups so right out the gate it wins every time if the CTR doesn't make it into our hands due to limited production.

The only race you can win is the one you're in. LoL

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I would also love an i20 N, it's about 3-400 lbs lighter than the Elantra N, which in turn is about 300 lbs lighter than the Kona N. One of the many things I like about our car is how light it is, with a curb weight of about 2,700 lb, which closely matches the i20 N. Regarding weight, I also noticed that the DCT adds about 120 lb to each Hyundai N model.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #33
I would also love an i20 N, it's about 3-400 lbs lighter than the Elantra N, which in turn is about 300 lbs lighter than the Kona N. One of the many things I like about our car is how light it is, with a curb weight of about 2,700 lb, which closely matches the i20 N. Regarding weight, I also noticed that the DCT adds about 120 lb to each Hyundai N model.
Since I already have the FiST I don't want to have 2 hatchbacks. If I didn't own a FiST yet and the GR or i20/30 had an N version I would probably think about it. What I like is that this has a legit DCT and of course it's an Auto with better performance. I want something more dailyable.

I'm actually going to the dealer in a bit to take a look at an Intense Blue Elantra N. Not going to buy but want to see how comfortable it is. Was shocked they had one. But I want one in White.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Since I already have the FiST I don't want to have 2 hatchbacks. If I didn't own a FiST yet and the GR or i20/30 had an N version I would probably think about it. What I like is that this has a legit DCT and of course it's an Auto with better performance. I want something more dailyable.

I'm actually going to the dealer in a bit to take a look at an Intense Blue Elantra N. Not going to buy but want to see how comfortable it is. Was shocked they had one. But I want one in White.
I probably don't want two hatchbacks either, to be more exact what I probably should have said is I wish we at least had the option of getting the i20 N in case something happened to my car and it couldn't be fixed. I hope to keep mine forever, but I do like to know that there are other viable options out there if something happens, and there's nothing else at this point that does a great job of replacing it.
I wish we were getting the i20 N here, and for that matter I wish we were getting the new version of the FiST.

ronmcdon

haha just keep the Fiesta stock ride height and call it a crossover then!

seriously I think my fiesta has consistently the highest center of gravity that I can brag about at every driving event I attend

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #36
One of the only dealers that has one. Wants $5K markup. I told them no. Going to wait.

The car is INCREDIBLE! The blue is absolutely gorgeous. I’m 6’4 and I have plenty of leg room and can also fit behind myself which is insane!

Eventually I’ll get one when they stop charging markups.

Attachments

ronmcdon

If listings on Cargurus are accurate, shows they are cars being sold at or slightly under msrp, although not a lot of models avail right now.
Think there's a car in Ontario, CA a bit under msrp. Yeah maybe drive out to CA or NV and/or wait a bit longer.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #38
If listings on Cargurus are accurate, shows they are cars being sold at or slightly under msrp, although not a lot of models avail right now.
Think there's a car in Ontario, CA a bit under msrp. Yeah maybe drive out to CA or NV and/or wait a bit longer.
Yeah I'm gonna wait. I will always be salty if I pay over MSRP. Here's some thoughts in detail mostly about the interior. (Since taller people like me struggle with our needed leg room)

View: https://youtu.be/MTsX2OpXGPY

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I really want to try the kona n, knees and back getting old lol

mazda 3 turbo and cx-30 turbo are really impressive too,but feel more luxury oriented

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I really want to try the kona n, knees and back getting old lol

mazda 3 turbo and cx-30 turbo are really impressive too,but feel more luxury oriented
The cx30 is a blast....I was surprised in its capabilities. It may be a high choice on my list when a new vehicle is In order. I'm starting to accumulate vehicles that can only be driven in 50° + weather. It's not a bad thing but more of a running out of garage space thing.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk