Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Immobilizer malfunction

I got in my car today and I noticed it when I pushed the start button nothing happened, key fob wasn’t locking or unlocking, now it seemed to stop completely Battery tested good, changed key fob battery, nothing happens when I push the button, when I did get it to turn on I would get immobilizer malfunction, any ideas,

OP
Ludeem1
Thread Starter #2
Also a few days ago the trunk didn’t wanna open, it actually opened by itself. Then it only would open with the key fob then today it started to work again. Then the issues started

OP
Ludeem1
Thread Starter #5
Also key fob won’t unlock or lock the doors. Tomorrow I’m going to check the fuses behind the glove box

OP
Ludeem1
Thread Starter #7
The Fob may be damaged.
Try the spare.
Tried it and no luck. I did have the 2 fobs close together not sure if that would matter. Both fobs have brand new batteries. It’s so weird I would get it to lock and unlock and start, then now nothing at all. Everything was fine this morning.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Try replacing one of the Fob batteries again.
Use a new Energizer brand only.

OP
Ludeem1
Thread Starter #9
I think I have fixed the issue, I checked it out this morning and I would get a tire pressure fault now, alarm going off and the ignition turns on now.. I checked fuses all good, I took off the obd2 cable for the accessport and guess what? It started right up no more codes, car locks and unlocks, I wonder if it was loose or bad cable, I was hitting it with my clutch leg so idk

OP
Ludeem1
Thread Starter #10
Update, on the way home the immobilizer warning came back on, I noticed it came on when I turned on the defroster then the warning went away when I turned it off. Weird. Got home then it said key not detected. I parked it and made sure the trunk was closed since it’s been opening by itself lately. Then once I opened and closed it nothing worked again. Hitting the push start did nothing no dash lights or nothing. So I went back and held the trunk button and eventually it would open, and when I did that I was able to start the car. This all started when it started to rain. First the trunk issues then the immobilizer faults. Good thing is the car drives normally when I do get it to start.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Check your battery ground connection. Is it corroded?

OP
Ludeem1
Thread Starter #12
Check your battery ground connection. Is it corroded?
I checked right now it looks clean. So far no issues today. I plugged in my OBD2 scanner and no codes. But when I plug in the accessport cable it seems to short out something as that’s when the codes and issues start. I don’t wanna connect it again but I wonder if the cable was causing all the issues

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
That could be the problem. I'm sure Cobb sells replacement cables. There are all kinds of electronic signals flying around, and if the cable is damaged, that could throw everything off. It might not even be visible.

OP
Ludeem1
Thread Starter #14
That could be the problem. I'm sure Cobb sells replacement cables. There are all kinds of electronic signals flying around, and if the cable is damaged, that could throw everything off. It might not even be visible.
Thanks for the help. I ordered a new plug, I hope it’s that lol. But so far everything has been good since, I’ve had no issues since Wednesday

Mig8191

Did you ever get this sorted? Can’t get rid of the key not recognized issue, new car and fob batteries didn’t help. TIA