Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

In need of Jackstands!

So I want to make my first purchase of either jackstands or the ramps people use any recommendations?

Thanks.

I just use standard jack stands from Harbor Freight, along with their jack stand pads so they don't scratch. I put them under the engine cradle inboard of the control arms on the front, and under the rear control arms as close as I can get them to the rear wheels in the back. They've done a good job so far.

Speaking of jack stands, sort of off-topic but I spoke with someone at a trade show a few days ago who told a very chilling story that serves as a warning to those who work under their cars while on stands to be super careful... he was cleaning up the chassis near the engine, and his metal bracelet shorted against the starter. That cranked the engine, causing the car to lurch, fall of the stands, and land on him. Friends got the car off of him, but he required an induced coma and several facial reconstruction surgeries.

OP
Original J-Pat
Thread Starter #5
Speaking of jack stands, sort of off-topic but I spoke with someone at a trade show a few days ago who told a very chilling story that serves as a warning to those who work under their cars while on stands to be super careful... he was cleaning up the chassis near the engine, and his metal bracelet shorted against the starter. That cranked the engine, causing the car to lurch, fall of the stands, and land on him. Friends got the car off of him, but he required an induced coma and several facial reconstruction surgeries.
While finding the QuickJack right after looking for Jack stands (through a youtube video) can possibly be God sent. I always worry about those unlucky situations.

Waterfan

Came to post "Harbor Freight", leaving satisfied.

I have never used ramps, I am more experienced/comfortable with stands.

PSA: Be EXTREMELY careful with placement/raising/lowering. Absolutely not a thing to take lightly. Get an experienced friend to help you/train you if you have never done it before.

Raising/lowering is by far the most dangerous part of DIY maintenance. (the above story is why the general safety guideline for any automotive work is to disconnect the negative ground at the battery first (and remove all jewelry). Generally not followed these days with smarter cars and annoying power-off reset procedures)

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread: Show us how you jack up your FiST
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/13782-Show-us-how-you-jack-up-your-FiST

I have a photo showing the jack-up and jack stand points for the front.
The rear will be similar.

The ramps should allow you to use any jack...
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=low+profile+ramps

I purchased these but haven't yet tested.
https://www.amazon.com/Discount-Ramps-6009-V2-Plastic-Service/dp/B00UHLPES0

I used to use homemade wooden "stepped" ramps to get a jack under my lowered Mustang. With the FIST I've found that a low profile jack can slide under to the chassis without touching the body or any problems. Mine is from Harbor Freight. Wouldn't put myself under the car without stands...

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The steeper ramps risk hitting the bumper. It is also more risky in terms of driving a manual shift vehicle off the edge of the ramps.

The only purpose is to get it high enough to use the standard run-of-the-mill jacks that everyone already has lying around the garage.

Getting a set of $50 ramps beats spending a couple of hundred bucks on a new jack that's going to take up additional space sitting next to the old jack.

OP
Original J-Pat
Thread Starter #12
The steeper ramps risk hitting the bumper. It is also more risky in terms of driving a manual shift vehicle off the edge of the ramps.

The only purpose is to get it high enough to use the standard run-of-the-mill jacks that everyone already has lying around the garage.

Getting a set of $50 ramps beats spending a couple of hundred bucks on a new jack that's going to take up additional space sitting next to the old jack.
Oh I see I may just invest in a quick jack and take it to shops for installs until then.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I have these and they're totally worth it for my lowered car. My car won't go up my Rhino ramps due to the height and angle of the ramps, but the low profile ramps clear my front spoiler/valance without issue. I don't use them every time I lift the car, but they're handy and do the job well if I want to get the front end up just a few inches.

FWIW, I love my QuickJack and I'm pretty sure [MENTION=7768]mullick[/MENTION] feels the same about his. It's a bit on the pricy side, but I didn't want to go the full $2000 + install price on the 4 post I was looking into.

The small cheapo steel Harbor Freight ramps are a bargain and they've been solid. I tried the aluminum ones from them and while I didn't have a problem they didn't save THAT much weight and in my mind didn't seem nearly as strong. I have thrown folded rags, old socks / T-Shirts, etc, over the jackstand to prevent frame damage. Works fine. I have the plastic covers too but the weight of the car is concentrated on the pinch welds where the jack stands sit and it chews up the plastic anyway.

Also I have the HF 1.5T small aluminum jack and I have some hesitation on recommending it. It's super light weight and portable. Lifts to max height with 5-6 pumps. (we have an old steel one at the firehouse that requires 15 pumps or more). It required me to add hydraulic jack fluid initially which is not a big deal. But it requires the car to be parked on level ground. I have used it a few times on my street that has a slight grade and there is LOTS of flex. Also it doesn't lift very high. You can cheat with some blocks of wood and the jack stands though. They have a couple of steel ones that are stronger and lift higher.

I have a Jeepers Creepers mechanics creeper. Makes life easy. The HF knock off has terrible reviews if you weigh more than a school girl. But big cardboard sheets work okay too.

also HFQPDB dot com always has 20% coupons and freebies with purchase. I have so many sets of screw drivers and multimeters, I give them away as stocking stuffers.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I also do not trust the small, 1.5 ton HF 'racing' jack, and use my Craftsman 2 ton alloy jack with NO problems whatsoever (with an old hockey puck, and the Prothane pad cover).

I generally do not set the (also Craftsman steel, 3 ton) jack stands on the pinch welds (I use the sub frame/k-member/etc. instead), so I use the Prothane/ES poly jack stand covers on those. ;)

koozy

3000 Post Club
I've had my single pump 1 ton Aluminum Harbor Freight jack for 15+ years, no issues. Best part is that it's made in China. It replaced my leaky Craftsman jack.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The 2 ton Pro-Lift brand jack, blew a seal the first time I ever attempted a two wheel lift with it. I was lifting the Fiesta, not a truck LoL.

Apparently there is no standard for determining what the *actual* lift capacity is for a jack.