Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Injector Tick Noise -Inside- the Cabin when Cold?

So now that cold season is upon us, I am hearing a rapid ticking that increases with RPM up to about 2100 RPM before road and wind noise overtakes the sound. I know the injectors are loud on GDI and especially so on these, but I can hear this in the cabin, windows up, heater blowing, though the heater blowing can make it harder to hear.

It also doesn't sound exactly like injector tick to me, but I've never had a GDI car cold in the winter before. The ticking sounds rotational to me, and it's roughly the speed at which I (and I assume most people) can roll their tongue at as if imitating a drum roll. The car has a symposer delete, aftermarket RMM, and drop in filter but is otherwise engine-stock.

It goes away once the engine is warmed up.

I can try and catch it on video, but it's pretty quiet so it may not show up.

My question is, in winter months is it normal to hear the injectors in cabin until it warms up, or should I start diagnosing possible internal engine issues?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

For whatever it's worth, these cars make a variety of odd noises when it's cold outside... I wouldn't be concerned with *most* weird noises when cold, if they go away when it warms up. It likely is fuel injector noise, mine does what sounds like the same thing but I have all of the insulation removed on top of the engine.

OP
MetalMatty
Thread Starter #3
For whatever it's worth, these cars make a variety of odd noises when it's cold outside... I wouldn't be concerned with *most* weird noises when cold, if they go away when it warms up. It likely is fuel injector noise, mine does what sounds like the same thing but I have all of the insulation removed on top of the engine.
My insulation is still there but to be fair it doesn't clip in the rear of the hood anymore so it just kind of dangles. I'm guessing it's just loud injectors since they have to push harder and more fuel when it's cold.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

OP
MetalMatty
Thread Starter #5
Everything about these cars is noisy in the cold weather. Wait until you hear all the bushings when it gets below freezing😂😂 sounds like a cheap motel mattress😉😉. I wouldn't be too worried at all.
Oh trust, I know about the bushings, lol. I lubed up the passenger mount and it got quiet, but I don't know where the driver side is and haven't looked that hard yet. squeaksqueaksqueaksqueak

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Is your engine cover (the plastic decorative piece which clips onto the cam covers/top of engine with the 'ST' on it) still in place?

If it is not you WILL hear a bunch more DI injector tick, as well as valve tappet noise when cold, vs. if it is still on the engine.

OP
MetalMatty
Thread Starter #7
Is your engine cover (the plastic decorative piece which clips onto the cam covers/top of engine with the 'ST' on it) still in place?

If it is not you WILL hear a bunch more DI injector tick, as well as valve tappet noise when cold, vs. if it is still on the engine.
Yea, it's still on there. Honestly at this point I've just kind of learned to live with it. It has been happening since it got consistently cold, I know the oil is fresh and clean and properly filled, so really at this point not much left to do other than live with it. I think partially it's a bit louder too because my engine heat cover thing under the hood doesn't stay in place so it kind of mimics not being there at all.

It's my first GDI car so I'm gonna chalk it up to loud injectors that have to push a bit harder when it is colder out I guess, lol.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, BOTH my under the hood sound deadener/heat shield AND my engine cover are not on my car currently.

The noise does not bother me much, and it is a slight bit quieter when the oil is fresh, but then again, my hearing is most likely 1/20th the level of yours, and most others on here.

This guy isn't kidding. Removed my cover years back and noticed the same thing. Everything is a bit louder without it. Probably better to remove it anyways. The damn thing holds heat towards the top a little too well, and those plastic parts near the coil packs are not fond of the heat over time.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This guy isn't kidding. Removed my cover years back and noticed the same thing. Everything is a bit louder without it. Probably better to remove it anyways. The damn thing holds heat towards the top a little too well, and those plastic parts near the coil packs are not fond of the heat over time.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
For those of us in cold climes it could actually help a tiny bit to retain that heat in the winter once the car is up to temp for the oil flow to the head upon restart later in the day, but obviously NOT overnight, outside, when the temps drop like a (cold) stone. [:(]

I always forget to put it back on in the winter anyway, so hard to tell.