Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

X37 30% injectors stock fuel pump

I have the x37 turbo and I emailed my tunner about the 30% injectors and what kind of power I would make. He said "There would be zero gain on 91oct, on E40 you would have up to 320-330whp worth of fuel with the injectors."

Sounds like yes please on the 30% injectors. But then I'm reading what dizzy wrote.

"Are the uprated injectors worth installing, without an upgraded HPFP? The short answer is NO. As with most performance upgrades, when you strengthen one component, it can sometimes cause undue stress on other components. Every action has a reaction."

https://dizzytuning.com/blogs/technical-documents/fiesta-st-bosch-30-uprated-injectors-part-1

My question is are 30% injectors safe with out a fuel pump upgrade?

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I have the x37 turbo and I emailed my tunner about the 30% injectors and what kind of power I would make. He said "There would be zero gain on 91oct, on E40 you would have up to 320-330whp worth of fuel with the injectors."

Sounds like yes please on the 30% injectors. But then I'm reading what dizzy wrote.

"Are the uprated injectors worth installing, without an upgraded HPFP? The short answer is NO. As with most performance upgrades, when you strengthen one component, it can sometimes cause undue stress on other components. Every action has a reaction."

https://dizzytuning.com/blogs/technical-documents/fiesta-st-bosch-30-uprated-injectors-part-1

My question is are 30% injectors safe with out a fuel pump upgrade?
I’d love to hear @78kingcobra thoughts on this one. Adam is the only one I’ve seen say unequivocally “yes”

Dialcaliper

Dizzy's point is that while the AFR stays stable with the upgraded injectors on stock fuel pump, the rail pressure drops to unhealthy low levels. While you can totally tune it that way and it will run fine at WOT, you're operating the injectors on much lower pressure than designed, which means you risk inconsistent fueling under part load as the cylinder pressure fluctuates away from the point you've tuned to.

Basically its a bit of a hack and do at your own risk, much like the old days of port injection and running injectors up to 100% duty cycle (full open) instead of limiting to 80% where you have proper control over flow

If you're at the point of mods where you're upgrading fuel, you've already got enough money sunk in the car that cheaping out on the fuel pump when you've already got the fuel system cracked open and the car won't run without a new tune is a questionable decision in my opinion. If you *don't* have that much money sunk into the car to where $1000 is make or break, you might stop and double check whether you actually have the right supporting mods to reach your goal safely, as you're getting to power levels where your unique engine and mods are a special snowflake where a lean condition on anything but a well dialed in tune can risk a detonation or burnt piston. But that's just my personal take.

Last edited:
OP
agangel
Thread Starter #4
Dizzy's point is that while the AFR stays stable with the upgraded injectors on stock fuel pump, the rail pressure drops to unhealthy low levels. While you can totally tune it that way and it will run fine at WOT, you're operating the injectors on much lower pressure than designed, which means you risk inconsistent fueling under part load as the cylinder pressure fluctuates away from the point you've tuned to.

Basically its a bit of a hack and do at your own risk, much like the old days of port injection and running injectors up to 100% duty cycle (full open) instead of limiting to 80% where you have proper control over flow

If you're at the point of mods where you're upgrading fuel, you've already got enough money sunk in the car that cheaping out on the fuel pump when you've already got the fuel system cracked open and the car won't run without a new tune is a questionable decision in my opinion. If you *don't* have that much money sunk into the car to where $1000 is make or break, you might stop and double check whether you actually have the right supporting mods to reach your goal safely. But that's just my personal take.
So with only the upgraded injectors WOT pulls would be safe but daily part throttle cruising loads would not be safe. That was the part that eluded me. I thought it would be more controlled/safe initially. Dam well yeah I'm not going the injectors only route. Sounded to good to be true.

OP
agangel
Thread Starter #5
Back in the day I had a svt focus that I put a Jackson Racing supercharger on. I slapped some 40# injectors on I think it was then dyno tuned it. Never upgraded the fuel pump. Ran like a champ from like 40k to 110k then kaboom on a highway run. I guess it's not the best way but it is a way, and I thought I was being safe then.

OP
agangel
Thread Starter #6
I'm going to trust Adam. Next mod injectors 30% after I install the Chinese radiator. Going to send it!!!!

"You can run just injectors, I outlined the power you will see in my previous email. If you want to run MORE ethanol and more power you will need the pump as well." - tuneplus

Love it

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm going to trust Adam. Next mod injectors 30% after I install the Chinese radiator. Going to send it!!!!

"You can run just injectors, I outlined the power you will see in my previous email. If you want to run MORE ethanol and more power you will need the pump as well." - tuneplus

Love it
"Trust Adam" [popcorn]

CSM

1000 Post Club
I feel like this is playing with fire. A locally tuned RX7 grenaded a motor a few years ago on the dyno during tuning. Tuner saw pressure drops, but didn't see a corresponding issue with AFR (which stayed stable), so kept going and the motor blew. Turns out the sampling rate on the AFR gauge wasn't quick enough to catch the periodic lean conditions when the fuel pressure dropped.

OP
agangel
Thread Starter #11
I was kinda hitting the white claws last night and got all excited about potential 320-330whp. I totally get what you are all saying. But I did do it before with the SVT focus. I was only running like 8lb of boost but she ran like a champ with 40lb injectors and stock fuel pump. If I do go ahead and proceed it probably won't happen for a few months anyway. In the mean time if anyone has any first hand experience with this let me know your thoughts. Someone has had the have gone this route as it seems way more direct to me.

Dialcaliper

I was kinda hitting the white claws last night and got all excited about potential 320-330whp. I totally get what you are all saying. But I did do it before with the SVT focus. I was only running like 8lb of boost but she ran like a champ with 40lb injectors and stock fuel pump. If I do go ahead and proceed it probably won't happen for a few months anyway. In the mean time if anyone has any first hand experience with this let me know your thoughts. Someone has had the have gone this route as it seems way more direct to me.
Injector upgrade only was a great option when there really weren’t easily available high pressure pumps available, until more options came on the scene.

Out of curiosity, besides the obvious $$$, is there a reason you’re against upgrading the fuel pump at the same time? For me it’s a no brainer. Already thousands of dollars invested in the car, already cracking open the fuel system and valve cover for injectors, already requires a completely new tune to run properly.

Just my personal opinion, but if you’re after the least expensive bandaid fueling option to stretch you up to the limit of a hybrid turbo, you’re probably better off with single port Aux fuel or water/meth setup. Nearly equivalent pricing without the potential fuel pressure issues.

At the level of tuning we’re talking about if it’s only motivated by saving a couple hundred bucks, it’s a pretty bad tradeoff.

If on the other hand, you have future plans beyond the X37, do it right with injectors+HPFP.

Last edited:
OP
agangel
Thread Starter #13
Injector upgrade only was a great option when there really weren’t easily available high pressure pumps available, until more options came on the scene.

Out of curiosity, besides the obvious $$$, is there a reason you’re against upgrading the fuel pump at the same time? For me it’s a no brainer. Already thousands of dollars invested in the car, already cracking open the fuel system and valve cover for injectors, already requires a completely new tune to run properly.

Just my personal opinion, but if you’re after the least expensive bandaid fueling option to stretch you up to the limit of a hybrid turbo, you’re probably better off with single port Aux fuel or water/meth setup. Nearly equivalent pricing without the potential fuel pressure issues.

At the level of tuning we’re talking about if it’s only motivated by saving a couple hundred bucks, it’s a pretty bad tradeoff.

If on the other hand, you have future plans beyond the X37, do it right with injectors+HPFP.
So my motivation to do just injectors and not single port or meth or fuel pump is simplicity and higher potential to smog in California. I don't want to go so far down the rabbit hole I'll have to dig myself out in 2years when I have to smog. Less things to reverse if I have to. I am betting that the check sums for the smog is BS and aftermarket tunes can slide past inspections if they don't disable stuff like the cat and whatnot. I do agree with you and for perfection fuel pump is the way to go. But my plan is for simplicity and stealth not perfection.

Love it
So how much whp are you supposed to get on pump gas with just the injector upgrade?

No gain with 91 all the magic happens with e85 blends e30 e40 ect.
Well that sucks. Just thought that with either injector upgrades and aux fuel upgrade, that pump WHP would see a increase since the limiting factor is the OEM fuel system versus the pump gas if our FiSTs aren't making 300 whp. (Really seems like on pump, accurate WHP is like 250 to perhaps 270 with 91 and 93 versus many of our peers positions on the forum that we can hit 290 WHP to 300 WHP on pump with a big turbo upgrade and pump gas with some variation of fuel upgrade.)
I know that with some variation of an etune we can reach 320 WHP to 340 WHP on the Bosch injectors alone being tuned by Adam. But was just curious if there was any increase with pump gas is all. I appreciate it.

Dialcaliper

Well that sucks. Just thought that with either injector upgrades and aux fuel upgrade, that pump WHP would see a increase since the limiting factor is the OEM fuel system versus the pump gas if our FiSTs aren't making 300 whp. (Really seems like on pump, accurate WHP is like 250 to perhaps 270 with 91 and 93 versus many of our peers positions on the forum that we can hit 290 WHP to 300 WHP on pump with a big turbo upgrade and pump gas with some variation of fuel upgrade.)
I know that with some variation of an etune we can reach 320 WHP to 340 WHP on the Bosch injectors alone being tuned by Adam. But was just curious if there was any increase with pump gas is all. I appreciate it.
To my understanding, something like a hybrid or S280 on our engine is octane limited especially on 91, and just adding more fuel won't help, so you are not fuel system limited on pump gas.

With higher octane, you can push more boost and timing to make additional power, but doing so with ethanol blend requires even more fuel due to the lower AFR's required for ethanol and so you run up against fuel system limitations before falling completely off the right side of the efficiency island of a smaller turbo where is just becomes a fancy hairdryer. Most "maxed out" turbos are already running off the right edge, brute forcing more charge air into the cylinder by intercooling+fuel evaporation, but there are diminishing returns. You could theoretically push a small turbo even farther on pump by using an even more massive intercooler, but that causes its own problems.

A bigger (big) turbo can move more air more efficiently to make more power at lower boost on pump with less exhaust backpressure, but you pay the price in spoolup RPM on a small engine like a 1.6L.

If you were able to run higher octane racegas, you could easily max out the hybrid/S280 turbos to almost what ethanol can give (not quite) without even upgrading the injectors, and the fuel volume required is lower than with ethanol blends. You could make even more power on these turbos on E85, but that's typically done with much larger injectors on a port injected engine, and we are fuel limited by the scarcity of direct injection upgrades. Instead of +30% and squeezing a bit more with increased fuel pressure, a port injected engine on E85 would run something more like 2x to 4x larger injectors (or more). You could however get there on E85 with an Aux fuel setup (which is basically adding high volume port injection). This is the reason DI engine tuners like lower ethanol blends like E30 - less extra fuel volume required to get decent octane (94+). For older style port injection, once you head away from pump gas, there's really not a lot of point to enduring the hassle of blending something like E30 when you can easily just run full E85.

You can't directly compare flow ratings on DI vs port injectors because DI is limited by intake/exhaust valve opening where port injectors can add fuel for 2 full engine revolutions, but our injectors are probably in the 1200-1700cc range and can deliver fuel similar to something like 400-440cc port injectors. Port injected engines running E85 would typically run somewhere between 1000-1200cc injectors to hit 400hp, and 1600-2100cc to go higher.

OP
agangel
Thread Starter #19
"91oct – regardless of turbo is going to be maxed out around 260ish, being in CA the fuel quality is bad so 260 is not guaranteed.

E30-E50 is all capable of making max power on each turbo, but you’ll need fuel system upgrades to get beyond 295whp." -tuneplus

"91oct – regardless of turbo is going to be maxed out around 260ish, being in CA the fuel quality is bad so 260 is not guaranteed.

E30-E50 is all capable of making max power on each turbo, but you’ll need fuel system upgrades to get beyond 295whp." -tuneplus
I hit 270 whp consistently on a few logs according to Vdyno, on 91. It’s definitely possible

Last edited: