Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

inspection in Jersey?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I just moved back to Joyzee, and once I convert the license, plates/registration and insurance over i am sure that they will require an inspection.

The last time I was here they were still doing the full vehicle check over, replete with mirrors looking for the factory catcons, etc., and not solely the OBD2 plug-in done currently.

Question; does the system they use simply check for readiness monitors, major codes thrown, etc., or is it more draconian (like Cali) where they can check the reset/retune counter, therefore tipping them off to an aftermarket tune??

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I just moved back to Joyzee, and once i convert the license, plates/registration and insurance over i am sure that they will require an inspection.

The last time I was here they were still doing the full vehicle check over, replete with mirrors looking for the factory catcons, etc., and not solely the OBD2 plug-in done currently.

Question; does the system they use simply check for readiness monitors, major codes thrown, etc., or is it more draconian (like Cali) where they can check the reset/retune counter, therefore tipping them off to an aftermarket tune??

Thanks in advance.
They are not doing check reset retune counter . That is more hyperbole than actual truth. Several members here have all gotten smogs here recently in SoCal and all they are doing is plug in check readiness which is and has been standard procedure ever since the OBDII test went to read only. That as well as a equipment look over is all that is done.

OP
M-Sport fan

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
They are not doing check reset retune counter . That is more hyperbole than actual truth. Several members here have all gotten smogs here recently in SoCal and all they are doing is plug in check readiness which is and has been standard procedure ever since the OBDII test went to read only. That as well as a equipment look over is all that is done.
OK, yes, sorry, as I was conflating and confusing the DEALERS' looking at/checking that counter in order to possibly deny warranty work on anything engine/powertrain related with an aftermarket tune in the ECM.

BTW; I am NOT one of those all too many on here who will rag on Cali just for the hell of it, or some other agenda which compels them to loathe much of what your state does.

I FULLY understand why they are as strict/overkill as they are as concerns emissions, especially in the greater metro areas.

I am old enough to remember those older pics of your city where one could hardly see any structures at all through the thicker than a heavy New England fog type smog cloud encasing it totally. [wink]

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
OK, yes, sorry, as I was conflating and confusing the DEALERS' looking at/checking that counter in order to possibly deny warranty work on anything engine/powertrain related with an aftermarket tune in the ECM.

BTW; I am NOT one of those all too many on here who will rag on Cali just for the hell of it, or some other agenda which compels them to loathe much of what your state does.

I FULLY understand why they are as strict/overkill as they are as concerns emissions, especially in the greater metro areas.

I am old enough to remember those older pics of your city where one could hardly see any structures at all through the thicker than a heavy New England fog type smog cloud encasing it totally. [wink]
Ya Sorry if I went kinda all out on you. It’s just I get tired of all the people perfectly willing to speak up on it yet they do not live here. It’s literally like if one has not lived or lives here what gives one the right to criticize us for everything? Some which like you pointed out above is a for a very sound reason. I grew up in the bay area which always had cleaner air . We did have smog to a lesser extent but damn I remember going to Disneyland with a bunch of people when I was 15 and my lungs hurt it was that bad and that was Orange county not even City of Los Angeles.
So ya air is a hell of a lot better now than it was then. Do not get me wrong though I do think CARB can be a little out of control sometimes but you know like I already mentioned above.It’s our thing.