Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Intercooler $329.95 Shipped

Trader history for Depo Racing (0)

DaveG99

Thank you . Yeah this house is only 3 years old. It came with a "fancy" kitchen.

I wish I would have ordered new clamps. What size do I need? And is there somewhere locally I can get some?

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Thank you . Yeah this house is only 3 years old. It came with a "fancy" kitchen.

I wish I would have ordered new clamps. What size do I need? And is there somewhere locally I can get some?
Oh man, should have got the ones from depo, just save up and buy the piping kit, worth it for 200, enjoy the kitchen :)

That's looks great without the lower plastic grill

That's how mine looks, I prefer his look better, imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
What does an IC and Charge Pipe install cost?
You can DIY both, I did my own cooler (super easy if you have all the tools)

I did not do my own pipe install but my shop didn't charge more than an hour but took longer to install it lol.

LILIKE16ST

How'd you take those plastic tabs out? Cut?

Looks great and agreed on pluses!

I cut them out with a hacksaw while the bumper was off during the intercooler install.

That's looks great without the lower plastic grill
Thank you and I agree and although I've seen where people have said there were no differences between charge temps with or without the lower grill it's hard for me to beleive airflow isn't improved upon without all that crap in the way

DaveG99

I cut them out with a hacksaw while the bumper was off during the intercooler install.

Thank you and I agree and although I've seen where people have said there were no differences between charge temps with or without the lower grill it's hard for me to beleive airflow isn't improved upon without all that crap in the way
It looks great with the plastic pieces cut out but there are a few negatives about doing so.

1. Rocks and debris hitting the fmic. Not sure about where other people live but here in Texas there are a lot of rocks
2. Strength of the bumper is likely reduced with the plastic removed. It might sag.

I definitely won't be cutting anything out on my bumper but I'll probably take out the horizontal slats.

LILIKE16ST

It looks great with the plastic pieces cut out but there are a few negatives about doing so.

1. Rocks and debris hitting the fmic. Not sure about where other people live but here in Texas there are a lot of rocks
2. Strength of the bumper is likely reduced with the plastic removed. It might sag.

I definitely won't be cutting anything out on my bumper but I'll probably take out the horizontal slats.
Here in VA I really don't have an issue with rocks hitting the intercooler or anything like that and this being a bar and plate design makes it tougher anyways so I hear so it would take a pretty big rock and big impact to do any type of meaningful damage to it I would think and as far as the bumper rigidity being compromised I don't think it's an issue at all and if it is weaker it isn't enough to matter or effect anything and it does not seem to be sagging at all just my .02

LILIKE16ST

Here is a pic where I just ground down the leftover nubs and threw on some black touch up paint just what the dr ordered

LILIKE16ST

If you're going to take out the horizontal grill there won't be much left to protect the intercooler from debris are anything if that is a concern to you where you live at. Those vertical slats are very thin and not very stout so if something was going to come through with enough impact to do damage tote intercooler itself im sure breaking those would not be an issue for it. When I hacksawed them off while the bumper was removed doing the intercooler install they were very thin and not hard at all to cut through and once they were removed it was clear they are very thin and basically little pieces of plastic that isn't any thicker than an average pencil it seems. I don't see those things doing much for the ragidity of the bumper itself nor do I see it causing any ragidity problems by removing them i honest think the effect in that regard is very slim to none and being without them doesn't seem to be causing the bumper to flex or sag or feel compromised to me at all. I've seen several others do this same mod online and I've not seen anyone report problems stemming from it

AzNightmare

Honestly, it's all aesthetics.
The grill is efficient and doesn't block enough airflow to make a difference.
For that same reason, I don't think removing the grill makes a significant difference in protection either. It's so thin... unless the rock hits square on the horizontal part. lol.

Those plastic pieces behind aren't load bearing, they don't really do much other than to be there for the grill to clip on to.

If you don't care about keeping the car reversible (to go back to oem one day), then just cut those plastic pieces for a cleaner look.

LILIKE16ST

Honestly, it's all aesthetics.
The grill is efficient and doesn't block enough airflow to make a difference.
For that same reason, I don't think removing the grill makes a significant difference in protection either. It's so thin... unless the rock hits square on the horizontal part. lol.

Those plastic pieces behind aren't load bearing, they don't really do much other than to be there for the grill to clip on to.

If you don't care about keeping the car reversible (to go back to oem one day), then just cut those plastic pieces for a cleaner look.
I agree 100% with what you just said and I too feel like the vertical slats are just something to connect the horizontal grill to and nothing more and that they would have no effect on the regidity of the bumper and the general structure of it or provide any extra protection against debris. You may very well be right about the additional airflow wouldn't be enough to make a difference performance wise I sleep better at night knowing my intercooler is getting as much air as it possibly can each time I drive and even though it may not provide a performance advantage at least it looks much better and cleaner to me. I prefer this look by a landslide over the stock lower grill particularly with a nice aftermarket fmic

DaveG99

Yeah I don't think I'm going to worry about the debris being able to hit the fmic. I won't be cutting anything but I will likely take out the horizontal piece. I was just typing what I initially thought could be issues. I'm not even really sure how that piece comes out but I like the look of it removed.

We do have a ton of rocks flying around on our roads in Dallas though. I had 2 chips in my hood the first 2 days I had my car. So I went and got a clear bra. My windshield on my 2016 Silverado got a huge Crack in it within 2 weeks of getting it.

LILIKE16ST

Yeah I don't think I'm going to worry about the debris being able to hit the fmic. I won't be cutting anything but I will likely take out the horizontal piece. I was just typing what I initially thought could be issues. I'm not even really sure how that piece comes out but I like the look of it removed.

We do have a ton of rocks flying around on our roads in Dallas though. I had 2 chips in my hood the first 2 days I had my car. So I went and got a clear bra. My windshield on my 2016 Silverado got a huge Crack in it within 2 weeks of getting it.
Wow that's no good must be a lot of debri flying around down there. As far as removing the lower horizonal grill u simply pull straight out on it towards the front of the car it may appear stuck like mine did but pull hard it will come and it won't break :). I like the look without the grill or the slats be at the very least it needs the grill removed ecspecially with a nice looking aftermarket fmic just my .02

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I pulled my grille piece after installing my FMIC and haven't had any issues. If something is gonna hit it, the trim piece certainly won't protect it.

When I first installed mine and removed the plastic cover I found a large piece of pine bark (about the size of my hand) from I guess a log truck I had been following stuck in the depo IC. I pulled it out and no fins were bent. The fins on this IC are very stout and you cant bend them back by hand. I have had a few get bent but some needle nose help get them back where they want to be.

LILIKE16ST

When I first installed mine and removed the plastic cover I found a large piece of pine bark (about the size of my hand) from I guess a log truck I had been following stuck in the depo IC. I pulled it out and no fins were bent. The fins on this IC are very stout and you cant bend them back by hand. I have had a few get bent but some needle nose help get them back where they want to be.
I agree with you this being a bar and plate design it should take a lot to do any significant damage I would think this thing does appear to be pretty stout upon initial inspection during install. I had the horizonal grill removed for at least 2-3 months before I did the depo fmic with the verical slats still in place and when I removed the stock fmic I didn't see any damage whatsoever done to it I don't think flying debris that could potentially damage an fmic is much of an issue here where I live in southwestern VA

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I'll be putting a heavy gauge screen from a screen window / door in front of my intercooler.

Cleaning bugs out of the intercooler is a pain in the butt (as it decreases performance) and over time I know that it will end up getting beat up due to road debris. Specifically, the small rocks that are applied to the snowy roads in the winter - they've already wrecked havoc on my paint / front end.