Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Intercooler Upgrade - how did yours go, should I watch out for anything?

All,
Have a Whoosh V1 Intercooler in a box and its the next thing on my list. Watched a couple of vid's, but since there is a lot to remove and I won't have any help on this - thought it would be wise to get feedback from those who have done this. Besides basic tools and a dremel for shaving any plastic, I did get a insert popper set, and flexible extensions, wondering what else might be good to have on hand. Basically looking from encouragement as well as a heads up, and how much time to set aside.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Be wary of the Bumper bracket in the center that stops bumper sag. It can be broken if not careful during re-install of the bumper. They are cheap and the car can also live without it....But the bumper will sag a little bit.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Be wary of the Bumper bracket in the center that stops bumper sag. It can be broken if not careful during re-install of the bumper. They are cheap and the car can also live without it....But the bumper will sag a little bit.

Lol I bought one of these in case I need it at some point and its out of stock. Might be time to relax and watch a movie. Except all the new ones keep slipping in not so subliminal middle fingers.....yeah that part is pretty cheap though. Im paranoid from doing parts searches on japanese sites for a slightly less popular Honda car.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Lol I bought one of these in case I need it at some point and its out of stock. Might be time to relax and watch a movie. Except all the new ones keep slipping in not so subliminal middle fingers.....yeah that part is pretty cheap though. Im paranoid from doing parts searches on japanese sites for a slightly less popular Honda car.
I bought at least 3 off rock auto for like $2 a piece on clearance* [emoji2]

It was a pretty straightforward job. The
headlights were a pain to reinstall (at least for me). You just have to be patient. After fitting the V1, I reinstalled the oem charge pipes and factory clamps. On my first shake down run, the hot side pipe popped off the intercooler fitting. Rats! After taking the bumper cover off (again!!), I replaced the oem clamps with Vibrant t-bolt clamps on both the hot and cold sides. Per Ron’s advice, I also coated the inside of the charge pipe with hairspray and reassembled while it was still tacky. That was almost a year and a half ago. No more worries since. EE8605FE-362A-4484-94CA-B848FE0E1F38.jpeg

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It was a pretty straightforward job. The
headlights were a pain to reinstall (at least for me). You just have to be patient. After fitting the V1, I reinstalled the oem charge pipes and factory clamps. On my first shake down run, the hot side pipe popped off the intercooler fitting. Rats! After taking the bumper cover off (again!!), I replaced the oem clamps with Vibrant t-bolt clamps on both the hot and cold sides. Per Ron’s advice, I also coated the inside of the charge pipe with hairspray and reassembled while it was still tacky. That was almost a year and a half ago. No more worries since. View attachment 49822
I took a small hole saw and drilled holes where clamps and nuts are so I can re-tighten them without taking the Bumper off* Best Idea EVER!

OP
T
Thread Starter #10
Well I got it done, thanks to the forum and a bunch of youtube videos. Doing it solo in my garage I spaced it out over two days - took my time doing things like placing sets of fastners in labeled baggies, using wood blocks to raise up the intercooler and bumper for fitment, really clean the bumper cover, paint touch up some scrapes and chips, and double checking things. Was kind of surprised how much plastic attaching to plastic attaching to another plastic thing, If I were to redo it I think I try to ziptie or massive hose clamp the new intercooler to the crashbar for some support. I did do the ziptie mod under the hood member grey25xt posted about just in case (was able to do so without interfering with hood prop rod).
Trouble sports for me where the last bolt to remove the stock intercooler was rusted stuck and for some reason the drivers side headlight is a real pain to remove or reinstall.

Last edited: