Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Intercooler upgrade

At what point does a bigger/better intercooler become necessary? What is the limit of the stock one? Just interested in knowing for the future to see how long I can wait to get one.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Texas also gets hot as hell.

I got custom tuned on 93 and E30 with the stock intercooler. I'm probably giving up some power over sustained pulls, I just don't care enough to spend a couple hundred dollars to keep from heatsoaking during the very few times I'm WOT for more than 1 gear.

IMO, recommended, but not necessary. I also switched back to stock heat spark plugs and have only rarely seen a minor negative correction towards redline on my 93 map. I have faith that I would see very little negative corrections on my E30 map. I'm already blowing the tires off in 2nd gear in this cold weather so I haven't switched back to E30 to find out.

The performance difference can be noticed from 75F to 90F, but you'd have to be running past 100F (+110F on the tarmac), to start noticing some real bogging.
But yeah, I think eliminating the cat would do more in terms of power.

I'd say go ahead and bite the bullet. I got whoosh v3 and I very rarely see temps over 75° and we are already getting into the mix 80s in sc. I'm also running Jason's stage 2 tune. You won't regret it specially if u plan on upgrading the turbo later. It's safe to say a necessary evil. Lol

I got a Whoosh V3 and Mountune radiator. I’m in Texas and saw more knock and higher coolant temps than I was comfortable with on Cobb Stage 1 tune. This was just on street driving.

For a few hundred dollars, it seems like a no-brainer to me to do at least a Whoosh V1 or Depo. I like having the extra cooling headroom.

Upgrading the intercooler is always a good idea if u ever plan on an aftermarket tune. I'd be so bold as to say depending on where you live and how hot it gets in the summer I'd up the intercooler for a stage 1tune just to keep charge temps down. I'd also like to add in that even tho I have yet to do it removing the lower grill would probably help too.

You will know when you need to upgrade the intercooler. If you are doing pulls and the later ones seem sluggish. Do not bother with an intercooler if you are not using a tune.

Intercooler and a tune will already max out the factory turbo and allow you to keep power. The cooling seems to be what Ford cut corners. The intercooler and radiator are a joke. They are thin and do the bare minimum in cooling. These are the only parts you need to upgrade in order to be able to max out the turbo reliably.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The performance difference can be noticed from 75F to 90F, but you'd have to be running past 100F (+110F on the tarmac), to start noticing some real bogging.
But yeah, I think eliminating the cat would do more in terms of power.
Eliminating the CAT on our cars does not give significant HP increases in fact they are negligible. It also just causes more pollution, Congrats on suggesting contributing global warming. Lol

If one wants more flow they can run a a high flow catted downpipe. Yet unless one has h upgraded their Turbo, a high flow catted downpipe is also unnecessary. The OP had not upgraded his turbo so he has no need whatsoever to change his downpipe. He was asking about intercoolers not downpipes.

On the Intercooler front indeed our stock intercoolers are wimpy and if you live in warmer climes you will witness heatsoak. Which will cause a loss in power overall.
All it takes is a couple of hot laps and the car will need to cool off before going again on stock intercooler.
The other weak link like others have mentioned and lots of us in warmer climes have experienced is the radiator it can and will overheat under prolonged use in 90-100 degree weather with the Air on. Also in stop and go traffic .
A lot of us have changed out our radiators for a Mountune or Mishimoto the two most available brands. There are a few others out there but they are either no name ebay Chinese knockoffs or lesser known UK brands.

Last edited: