Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Intermittent push to start issues.

Hello everyone. Wondering if anyone has had any starting issues on the 2016 Fiesta st ? I noticed a little while ago, maybe a week ago, that I get in press the start once, & the engine doesn't fully start. I wait a few seconds & it normally starts up. Which leads me up to today. So I'm at publix grocery store buying carrot cake. I make it to my car & press the start button. It turns over then dies. I wait a few seconds & press again, it turns over & dies. Waiting again a few more seconds. Press a third time & it starts. I've already called Ford to set up an appointment for July 11th. Bought brand new April 28th. Currently 3,000 miles on it. Just wondering if anyone else had this same issue ?

OP
E
Thread Starter #4
Let me tell you about these carrot cakes. They're pretty addicting. You have to buy them by the slice. Publix has the greatest carrot cake. $2.99 per slice.

Did you get chicken tendies with the carrot cake? What am I saying. Of course not. You would have mentioned tendies if you had of gotten tendies.

Zormecteon

Hello everyone. Wondering if anyone has had any starting issues on the 2016 Fiesta st ? I noticed a little while ago, maybe a week ago, that I get in press the start once, & the engine doesn't fully start. I wait a few seconds & it normally starts up. Which leads me up to today. So I'm at publix grocery store buying carrot cake. I make it to my car & press the start button. It turns over then dies. I wait a few seconds & press again, it turns over & dies. Waiting again a few more seconds. Press a third time & it starts. I've already called Ford to set up an appointment for July 11th. Bought brand new April 28th. Currently 3,000 miles on it. Just wondering if anyone else had this same issue ?
Was the car "hot" when it happened? That is had you been driving for a while, then parked, left the car for a few minutes then came back to start it? If so, don't sweat it. There was HOT water in the block, and cool water in the radiator. I don't know where the sensor is located, but it set the "choke" for one temperature, then got the other one. The car started when the water(s) go sufficiently mixed. This is a common occurance in cars with electric radiators (which I assume these cars have) as the fan will cycle with the car parked. ... .. Or i could be all wrong and you have a different problem altogether.

OP
E
Thread Starter #9
It was a heat advisory. Real feel 108 degrees. So it was real hot outside. I don't know if that was related .

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Was the car "hot" when it happened? That is had you been driving for a while, then parked, left the car for a few minutes then came back to start it? If so, don't sweat it. There was HOT water in the block, and cool water in the radiator. I don't know where the sensor is located, but it set the "choke" for one temperature, then got the other one. The car started when the water(s) go sufficiently mixed. This is a common occurance in cars with electric radiators (which I assume these cars have) as the fan will cycle with the car parked. ... .. Or i could be all wrong and you have a different problem altogether.
I think they have a handle on that scenario. Choke is so early 80's.

Zormecteon

I think they have a handle on that scenario. Choke is so early 80's.
5th injector is early 80s. Choke is closer to 1890s thru 1980s.... I should have said perhaps ....... Fuel Enrichment Function for Starting Purposes....?

They called it a choke because it restricted the flow of air while not affecting the flow the fuel.

me32

1000 Post Club
Sounds like it maybe a heat thing. Keep an eye on it see if it does it on cold starts and on cooler days.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Prior experiences with a different vehicle would point toward timing belt off by a couple of teeth, vacuum leak or dirty mass air flow sensor.

OP
E
Thread Starter #16
Thanks for all the replys. Took it to ford a few days ago. They couldn't find anything wrong. It's been starting on the first push lately.

OP
E
Thread Starter #17
Push to start update. So I had my car @ Ford. They couldn't find anything wrong. Couldn't duplicate the problem. Lately it been starting on the first push.

OP
E
Thread Starter #18
I think my car has gremlins. LOL. I left work & headed to a grocery store. Car running great. I leave the store & start heading home. All of a sudden it's like my engine starts hesitating & stumbling. Feels like a misfire when accelerating. 3rd gear through 6th. Cars bucking along. I stayed behind a van doing 45. I was afraid to try & pass. Finally made it home. I sent Summerville Ford an e-mail to schedule an appointment. I drove to work the next day & it's running fine. I wonder if maybe I just got some bad gas? So Ford calls & I explained what happened. I decided to cancel my appointment & just keep an eye on it. Currently 3,400 miles on it. No other issues. Oh & never got a check engine light at any point. I use 93 octane.

OP
E
Thread Starter #20
Its been starting ok lately. It was having trouble maybe because of the extreme heat in Charleston SC.