Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is there an accurate conversion for WHP to BHP?

Im just curious as i see a lot of content that is non-US based and they often use BHP, as do the MFG usually when citing numbers. I'd like to know the context of their figures in comparison to what most people in the tuner world here discuss. I heard somebody once say you can do it by percentage, meaning if a car goes from 200bhp to 220bhp that's a 10% jump in power.

So if you know it's got something like 170whp, you can just add 10% bring it to 187whp. But is this accurate?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Im just curious as i see a lot of content that is non-US based and they often use BHP, as do the MFG usually when citing numbers. I'd like to know the context of their figures in comparison to what most people in the tuner world here discuss. I heard somebody once say you can do it by percentage, meaning if a car goes from 200bhp to 220bhp that's a 10% jump in power.

So if you know it's got something like 170whp, you can just add 10% bring it to 187whp. But is this accurate?
Not accurately, there's always going to be a variance, and even a known value like 10% changes throughout the range. The best you could do is a "guesstimate". Drivetrain loss is estimated, and can be affected by a bunch of outside variables, i.e. tire pressure, sticky tires, torque converter, trans slippage, low traction, final drive ratios, etc.

There are a bunch of "rules of thumb" that aren't necessarily accurate, but more of a "generally accepted as accurate-ish" - like when drag racing, every 10lbs lost = 1hp. (I like to say that since I stopped working 80+ hours a week, I have gained 9 horsepower lol).

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #3
Not accurately, there's always going to be a variance, and even a known value like 10% changes throughout the range. The best you could do is a "guesstimate". Drivetrain loss is estimated, and can be affected by a bunch of outside variables, i.e. tire pressure, sticky tires, torque converter, trans slippage, low traction, final drive ratios, etc.

There are a bunch of "rules of thumb" that aren't necessarily accurate, but more of a "generally accepted as accurate-ish" - like when drag racing, every 10lbs lost = 1hp. (I like to say that since I stopped working 80+ hours a week, I have gained 9 horsepower lol).
Well i go about 250-255 so i have some HP to gain there 😭 But damn i really like my food and i lift regularly so not sure i can get under 200. But 5hp i'll take that.

Yah there isn't really any specific calculator. The estimates for drive train loss I've heard are:
FWD: ~10%
RWD: ~15%
AWD: ~20%
but as mentioned earlier this can vary significantly. I once heard someone say that with all the moving pieces and added weight, there's something like 30% loss for STi's :unsure:

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Yah there isn't really any specific calculator. The estimates for drive train loss I've heard are:
but as mentioned earlier this can vary significantly. I once heard someone say that with all the moving pieces and added weight, there's something like 30% loss for STi's :unsure:
Yeah that viscous diff is brutal lol

Se7eN

That isn't even considering the Automatic Trans vs Manual Trans loss, which with DCT Transmissions now a days add for more confusion.

Example how something simple can change WHP and still not change the BHP (which is usually the same as Crank HP) my other car had 335whp added a new TCi Torque Converter for the trans and had it rebuilt next dyno was 320whp. Similar temps, did nothing to the engine. Still had the same crank hp

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #7
I've always hated those anyway. They look like 80s rally throwbacks.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #9
LOL yea i love rally racing actually, i wish the states had more support for it rather than drags and Nascar. But those 80s cars were pretty ugly, 70s too IMO. By the 90s they started to look better. Today's cars i think have a bit of retro look like an 80s model, and even with regular street cars. I blame Transformers, my favorite childhood cartoon.

If you look at even family cars like the Camry, it's ridiculous, big blocky gaudy chunky shapes, kinda like some 80s cars. I prefer more streamlined, like a FIST or the beautiful 2004-2006 GTO. The newer cars like the camera look like one of those rappers always showing their fake teeth. 2018-Toyota-Camry.jpg 1381527506_aaaac0ec2809f9f0054be56aca2faccc.jpg

Hypergram

1000 Post Club

80 hours a week... Jesus, I'm sorry.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Oh I stopped doing it, made a whole post about reestablishing work/life balance :p
Started sleeping more, stopped eating quick stuff while working and... gained almost 9 horsepower :p
Your health is the most important thing you have. It's good that you stopped, but I also commend you for being able to do that in the first place.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #18
Heh yeah I’m obsessively productive - if I don’t stay busy I start tinkering and disassembling things for fun :p
When i was a kid i had a friend that i hung out with all the time for about a year or two. When we were older we kinda went different directions but when we were like 8 or 9 we were always taking toys and electronics apart. Lots of battery operated toy motors, i built a boat with a propeller once and tried it in our bathtub,

I've always been like that, im surprised it took me this long to get into auto. I think it's also why when i decided to buy my first mod i tried out that Race Chip idea, it's just in my nature to check the random dark corner before more common areas.

Spork1569

When i was a kid i had a friend that i hung out with all the time for about a year or two. When we were older we kinda went different directions but when we were like 8 or 9 we were always taking toys and electronics apart. Lots of battery operated toy motors, i built a boat with a propeller once and tried it in our bathtub,

I've always been like that, im surprised it took me this long to get into auto. I think it's also why when i decided to buy my first mod i tried out that Race Chip idea, it's just in my nature to check the random dark corner before more common areas.
So when do we get to hear how the AP compares to the race chip? After your E-30 tune or are you already running a tune off the AP?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club

I tried to take up flying a quad rotor, then I crashed it into my face and needed stitches lol. It’s all good when it’s headed away but in the way back, look out!