Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is this a "normal" failure mode?

My 16 FIST suddenly started a mild misfire at idle. Threw three misfire codes. But it went into a weird (to me) limp mode that limited the rpm to 3000 when the car was stationary and I buzzed the throttle...but if I now drive it off it runs full rpm range, full power. Not like any limp mode I've ever seen. It's only in limp mode when the car's not moving. Would that help diagnose the problem?

OP
R
Thread Starter #4
Only a few thousand miles on the plugs...and if by rebooting you mean cycling the power at the battery, then yes, multiple times to reset the codes.

But my question was really the odd behavior of rpm limiting with the car stationary, but full power and range once underway. That makes no sense for a limp mode.

I did pick up a new set of NGK plugs and coils. Have my doubts that's the problem but it's an obvious step to take. Haven't installed them yet, but the issue must be intermittent as it's not throwing codes currently. I hate intermittents.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Only a few thousand miles on the plugs...and if by rebooting you mean cycling the power at the battery, then yes, multiple times to reset the codes.

But my question was really the odd behavior of rpm limiting with the car stationary, but full power and range once underway. That makes no sense for a limp mode.

I did pick up a new set of NGK plugs and coils. Have my doubts that's the problem but it's an obvious step to take. Haven't installed them yet, but the issue must be intermittent as it's not throwing codes currently. I hate intermittents.
Need to actually can watch Misfires in each Cyl. The Threshold for misfires may not be reached at what Fomoco will allow before setting off the check engine light.

Sam4

I only said that because IT Support ALWAYS says that....however, sometimes they're right. I suppose deep down, if you keep throwing codes, there must be a correlation.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

Did you do a Kam reset? You can do them with the Ap3/accessport if you have one.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk