Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Isabella de la fiesta

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm military and my duty station is Norfolk. Since their location is more than 350 miles from my duty station I would have to submit a request to go that far. It's not worth the trouble.
You are a lot closer to where they used to be in the Baltimore area. [:(]

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #264
Alright so, oddly enough finding and fixing this may have actually solved the rest off my codes.... I think because the solenoids cable was messed up it couldn't accounts for boost and that caused it to mess up the calculation of air being created in the turbo. Either way I don't have an air leak as of yet, my solenoid code went away and the car has yet to die since I fixed this... It is still running rough but that I can safely assume is because my cams aren't totally dialed in yet.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #266
Axle came out of transmission housing... I give up... Gonna let rob handle the rest of it. I knew I was at the end of my rope anyways with this, it's been an immense undertaking putting all of this stuff together and I didn't fully respect the builds I see on this site until I went through it on my own. Cudos to you guys. I will update when it gets back up and running.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #267
Alright guys it's time for an update, there were 2 very hard to find leaks that rob found. One was the crankcase vent (plastic part attached to block), apparently it wasn't seating right. The other was an oil line above the transmission. I also had a leaking seal, so I'm gonna have to go back the shop that built the trans for me and talk to them about that. I swapped out the spark plugs with 2 step colder, swapped out the intercooler piping for cep 2.5 inch piping and got the tial blow off valve. I also ordered itgs crossover, intake and whooshes 3 inch silicone induction hose so I have a full 3 inch intake versus the 2.5 inch. I also got a 3 inch to 2.5 adapter to the turbo so hopefully this eliminates any bottle necking. I bought dnas control arms because the bushings on my control arms are shot. So the problem apparently was that the back control arm bolts came out, not that the axle was coming out. What would cause this? I torqued them to spec... Maybe the vibration made the bolts back out? Also adding awr rear motor mount at 95a durometer...new turbosmart wastegate(14 psi)(btw this is custom fit and requires a wg extender) innovate advanced gauge, water temp and oil pressure gauge, and coolerworx? Sandwich plate?. Problems with the x57 have been: Ron's block off plates don't work and neither did the turbosmart wg without the extension. Otherwise it's going smoothly. Should have this car back next week. Also, my friend got me a nos bottle as a present.... Not sure if I'll be using that lol

eq5

When I was running Fiesta R2 in WRC, the control arm rear bolt was a common issue and we were re-tightening those after a few stages. M-Sport made an upgrade and installed those from the interior side, so when it came loose, at least the bolt did not drop out.

This should be more of an issue on gravel or when running on very bumpy tarmac. Its a good idea to tighten them after some mileage.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Alright guys it's time for an update, there were 2 very hard to find leaks that rob found. One was the crankcase vent (plastic part attached to block), apparently it wasn't seating right. The other was an oil line above the transmission. I also had a leaking seal, so I'm gonna have to go back the shop that built the trans for me and talk to them about that. I swapped out the spark plugs with 2 step colder, swapped out the intercooler piping for cep 2.5 inch piping and got the tial blow off valve. I also ordered itgs crossover, intake and whooshes 3 inch silicone induction hose so I have a full 3 inch intake versus the 2.5 inch. I also got a 3 inch to 2.5 adapter to the turbo so hopefully this eliminates any bottle necking. I bought dnas control arms because the bushings on my control arms are shot. So the problem apparently was that the back control arm bolts came out, not that the axle was coming out. What would cause this? I torqued them to spec... Maybe the vibration made the bolts back out? Also adding awr rear motor mount at 95a durometer...new turbosmart wastegate(14 psi)(btw this is custom fit and requires a wg extender) innovate advanced gauge, water temp and oil pressure gauge, and coolerworx? Sandwich plate?. Problems with the x57 have been: Ron's block off plates don't work and neither did the turbosmart wg without the extension. Otherwise it's going smoothly. Should have this car back next week. Also, my friend got me a nos bottle as a present.... Not sure if I'll be using that lol

Do you have any photos of those front control arms? I was considering them but then dug into the quality a bit and saw some pretty terrible welds.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #270
I'll make sure to retighten them then after 50 or so miles. They didn't come out immediately and in fact I put 500 on the car before I even had this issue so it makes sense.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #271
Do you have any photos of those front control arms? I was considering them but then dug into the quality a bit and saw some pretty terrible welds.
I do not but I can certainly get you some when I get the car back.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #272
Visited rob today and this is what those control arm welds looked like. I'm a welder and can say I have little issue with these. They aren't the best I've seen but they are solid nonetheless and should hold perfectly fine. Not sure if others would be different but these 6 are nearly identical to all the rest I've found. No porosity, no spatter, little too much reinforcement at some of the ends but it's a proper fillet weld.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Visited rob today and this is what those control arm welds looked like. I'm a welder and can say I have little issue with these. They aren't the best I've seen but they are solid nonetheless and should hold perfectly fine. Not sure if others would be different but these 6 are nearly identical to all the rest I've found. No porosity, no spatter, little too much reinforcement at some of the ends but it's a proper fillet weld.

Interesting, thanks for posting. These are fairly consistent with what I have seen (maybe a smidge better?) but I am surprised those look acceptable to you. It's hard to tell but it doesn't look like they have much penetration. Also superficially I would never accept these. Again, just my opinion.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #274
Interesting, thanks for posting. These are fairly consistent with what I have seen (maybe a smidge better?) but I am surprised those look acceptable to you. It's hard to tell but it doesn't look like they have much penetration. Also superficially I would never accept these. Again, just my opinion.
You know considering the price of these, it wouldnt be hard to copy these and someone make them at their house assuming they had a welder. You could probably get by with just a handheld tube Bender too. People would be looking at maybe 100 bucks for the material itself and could also get pretty exotic. Maybe some chromoly? I'm trying to work out a deal with someone for a bravo alpha intercooler for 425 shipped from NC. When I get under there I'll see if I can get the dimensions of these. It would look a lot better if they Tig welded this.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I've got a full on pneumatic tube bender and it's fuckin' awesome... I'm always looking for more things to make! A proper jig would be needed but easy enough to make with the stock set up...

How are the rod ends attached? just weld on nuts? EDIT - Never mind! I can see the bushings on DNA's website.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #277
I think I have a 1" die set... 1.25" for sure - is this something I should actually consider? :unsure:
Well I paid almost 600 dollars for these control arms ... It's something I've considered, making parts for our forum members that is. I could probably make these same ones for a little over the price of the stock control arms and still make a little on them.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Congratulations! You've been through a lot with this build. It has to feel good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #280
Congratulations! You've been through a lot with this build. It has to feel good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thanks. it does feel pretty good. Now all I have to do is dial her in and I'm golden.