Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

IWG75 14PSI preload 2mm or 4mm?

Just putting all my parts together S280 turbo with Turbosmart 14psi (from whoosh) custom for s280 . I've seen conflicting information regarding the preload on the wastegate.

Some sources say 4mm preload but I know their wastegate may have diff spring (not sure diff that Adam's doing vs Turbosmart stock).

Turbosmart manual is indicating 2mm preload.

Weigh in?

Last edited:

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Just putting all my parts together S280 turbo with Turbosmart 14psi (from whoosh) custom for s280 . I've seen conflicting information regarding the preload on the wastegate.

Some sources say 4mm preload but I know their wastegate may have diff spring (not sure diff that Adam's doing vs Turbosmart stock).

Turbosmart manual is indicating 2mm preload.

Weigh in?
Ask your tuner. 4mm is likely what most will say or they will say "install it per instructions" and go from there. I've adjusted mine 5-6 times at this point and it's probably 20 mins start to finish, going from underneath.

OP
jingo5
Thread Starter #4
Friend said he had to adjust down from 4mm. Think I'll do 3.5 see how she handles. Still putting everything together. Thanks!!

OP
jingo5
Thread Starter #5
Curious if guys know what psi you were opening your wastegate? Started measuring and at 4mm it took 26psi to actually start to open, 3mm got it down to 20psi +/- 1. Guess I'll ask strat what they're wanting as they're my tuner.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I adjusted mine from up top while on the car it’s not hard. I just went by counting turns. Got a solid base 14lbs and was good to go. Oh and this was with a base tune before Adam turned the boost up . He did say anything above 14lbs is fine though.

OP
jingo5
Thread Starter #7
Just wish there was a set measurement. Additionally what makes these custom for s280 vs other ones. I could tear it apart and go oh we have spring color x but I have no reference to stock

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Just wish there was a set measurement. Additionally what makes these custom for s280 vs other ones. I could tear it apart and go oh we have spring color x but I have no reference to stock
A threaded wastegate actuator rod is always going to be tricky for getting a set measurement aka 3mm or 4mm due to the nature of design, It’s way I just counted marked the starting point with a sharpie and then did 3-4 turns. It took two times of going in to adjust but it worked. These hold more pressure at higher boost than the stock one that comes with the turbo that is why they are used. If you don’t want to push higher boost numbers one could stay with the stock actuator that comes with the turbo. The way I look at it is my tuner is the one that figured out the Turbo needed per the boost levels the Turbo can run. He has more experience tuning this Turbo than pretty much all the other tuners. It‘s why I picked him and the results with him have been great.
I really think you are over thinking this process stop trying to break it down and analyze why. It’s proven it works get it adjusted , datalog and tune there is fun to be had.

OP
jingo5
Thread Starter #9
A threaded wastegate actuator rod is always going to be tricky for getting a set measurement aka 3mm or 4mm due to the nature of design, It’s way I just counted marked the starting point with a sharpie and then did 3-4 turns. It took two times of going in to adjust but it worked. These hold more pressure at higher boost than the stock one that comes with the turbo that is why they are used. If you don’t want to push higher boost numbers one could stay with the stock actuator that comes with the turbo. The way I look at it is my tuner is the one that figured out the Turbo needed per the boost levels the Turbo can run. He has more experience tuning this Turbo than pretty much all the other tuners. It‘s why I picked him and the results with him have been great.
I really think you are over thinking this process stop trying to break it down and analyze why. It’s proven it works get it adjusted , datalog and tune there is fun to be had.
I've got my gauge so I could say what psi is needed to crack it open. Would rather someone (waiting on strat) to tell me so I can set it exact.

Hold it closed by hand then tighten the nut to where it's just holding. Then do the sharpie and 3-4 turns, it'll be just right 👍🏼