Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Jacking Points

Chris G

Hi guys - I know this topic has been covered a few times but I couldn't find the specific answer I was looking for in other threads.

I want to get my two front wheels up on jack stands and can't find an efficient way to do so with my floor jack. Is there a central location underneath, like the crossmember, that is safe to get both wheels up at the same time? I've tried the control arm bolts and it just turned the car into a teeter totter and I couldn't get the opposite side off the ground without putting the car on 1 tire. I also tried to jack up one side but both wheels come up pretty quickly and I can't imagine dropping one side on a stand like that then trying to do the other side is the safest thing to do.

Help? Seems ridiculous to be having this problem; feel like a noob but just want to make sure I do this safely.

Thank you!

FocusMike

I would suggest doing it right and jacking up one side at a time. You don't want to risk bending or damaging any suspension components just to save 5 minutes. After you have it up on a jack stand on one side, once you jack up the other side the rear wheel will go back down to the ground.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
If you have some ramps it makes the process less teetering, but I also do one side at a time. Having coilovers, there's really not enough clearance for me to attempt to jack up the two front tires at the same time.

What I did before was jack up one side, slide in a ramp backwards then let it back down. Jack up the other side and this time slide in the jack stand. Then go back to the first side and jack it up a bit more and then slide in the jack stand, this will decrease the rocking. I also leave the ramps under the front tires as an added safety precaution. This process might not be as efficient but I do find it a bit safer.

OP
Chris G

Chris G

Thread Starter #4
I would suggest doing it right and jacking up one side at a time. You don't want to risk bending or damaging any suspension components just to save 5 minutes. After you have it up on a jack stand on one side, once you jack up the other side the rear wheel will go back down to the ground.
This is what I ended up doing. The fact the whole damn side comes off the ground on each side you jack was terrifying but it seemed to work.

How the crap do you jack it up AND put in a jack stand on the same side at the same time if there is only one jack point?

OP
Chris G

Chris G

Thread Starter #7
How the crap do you jack it up AND put in a jack stand on the same side at the same time if there is only one jack point?
Very very carefully. There was barely enough room but it does work if you angle it all correctly with the jack.

I was also a bit freaked out by the way the rear comes up with the front until you Jack the other front.

Are the little cutouts in the underside of the side skirts for room for jackstands while using factory Jack points on the pinch welds? Not the rectangular panels that cover the Jack points, but underneath and slightly inward of those? I've been putting my Jack stands here.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Using jack stands can bend that area, do as in the picture that Kozzy posted.

Right now the HF aluminum jacks are just $59 each, I have 3 of them and one big one for the dually, great jacks.

I use one on each side and just walk back and forth a couple of times lifting in stages which is easy as I have the room

I can let them down carefully and square on the stands so not causing them to be loaded improperly.

If using one jack you can lift one side, puts some blocks under a tire, do the other side, etc....so you twist the car a bit less in the air.

After I set the car on the stands I go back to the other side and jack it up to settle the stand correctly, both sides if needed.

This is safer than having the stands not loaded vertically correct.

Here's a question, how would you put jack stands on the rear end? Jack up the front until the rear is high enough? I'm afraid I'll put the car on it's side.

I use the middle of the axle to jack from.
Where do you put jack stands for the rear if you Jack from the axle? Not at factory jack points on pinch welds? Sorry for noob questions, I'm pretty new to jack stands and I don't want to bend up my pinch welds or do anything unsafe.

I use the middle of the axle to jack from.
Ah cool, I did this when installing the hitch. I just wanted to be sure I didn't screw it up. Thanks.

Where do you put jack stands for the rear if you Jack from the axle? Not at factory jack points on pinch welds? Sorry for noob questions, I'm pretty new to jack stands and I don't want to bend up my pinch welds or do anything unsafe.
I put mine on the pinch welds and they came out OK. I imagine it's lighter on the rear for them to bend. I'm new to this too, I've never done so much to a car before the FiST.

It's ok to put jack stands on the pinch welds at the lift points if you have the stands that have a notch in them for the pinch to sit in. I have done this on every car I have ever owned and never bent anything. The lift points are made to hold the weight, and they are the furthest point out that can safely hold the weight giving it more stability. Putting the stands like in koozy's pic just seems like it would run the risk of sliding off the stands. Having stands with the notch in them with the pinch sitting in it also reduces the risk of it slipping.

I have the Saturn in my garage sitting on the pinch weld at the lift point and I can crank hard on any bolt on the car, or drop the engine in from the top without it ever feeling like it's unstable.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Craftsman has 2 and 3 ton jack stands with pinch weld load carriers. So does harbor freight. My jackstands never crush my pinch welds. Put the jackstand where the window on the side of the car is, for when you get a flat on the road is, after jacking the car up on the flat part of the K member. locate the jackstand so that the load carrier is centered on the pinch weld. Push up until the load carrying part of the jack stand is touching the underside of the body, on either side of the pinch weld, and relocate it, as needed to center it and avoid the hydraulic jack. I use an aluminum racing jack from harbor freight because the top is a flat rubber padded disc. Very little chance of rocking or sliding. I have a two ton and a 4 ton. I use the four ton for these jobs where I really need to jack the car up high for.

Thanks for replies. Ive only had the car up twice, for plasti dip and then exhaust install. So far all my pinch welds are fine but my jack stands do not have a notch, so I may have to invest in some of those.

I got these rubber covers for the stands, they seem kinda crappy but then again I bet they weren't meant for pinch welds. They should assure no slipping with the koozy method though.