Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Just picked up a 2019 Fiesta ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
@New_Daily makes a good point above about all the trouble required to properly adjust an aftermarket coilover suspension setup. Before you go down that road, since you just got the car I would strongly suggest that you drive it for a while stock and see how you like it. The stock suspension is pretty damn good, the quick agile handling of the car has always been its strong point.
Driving it for a while before you make any big changes will accomplish two things. First, if you find you like it that way it may save you the trouble and expense of doing something which turns out to be unnecessary. Second, if you do make the change, you'll have a better baseline to compare the difference that the new suspension setup brings.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^THIS, EXACTLY! [thumb]

I am even still considering putting new factory springs over Bilstein B6es, since it is only the actual quality and longevity of the factory dampers which has me worried (I love the factory suspension's handling/responsiveness otherwise, and do not really notice all of it's 'faults' like everyone else seems to), especially given the beating they receive on my local roads, and when working ARA rallies.

OP
Geese1
Thread Starter #23
@New_Daily makes a good point above about all the trouble required to properly adjust an aftermarket coilover suspension setup. Before you go down that road, since you just got the car I would strongly suggest that you drive it for a while stock and see how you like it. The stock suspension is pretty damn good, the quick agile handling of the car has always been its strong point.
Driving it for a while before you make any big changes will accomplish two things. First, if you find you like it that way it may save you the trouble and expense of doing something which turns out to be unnecessary. Second, if you do make the change, you'll have a better baseline to compare the difference that the new suspension setup brings.
Yup, planning on driving the car for a bit before making any changes that aren't minor cosmetic ones (put on new window tinting, add LED lights to the interior/exterior, that sort of thing). The only thing I'd like to do is get a new set of aftermarket wheels and new tires for use in the summer. The previous owner had a set of summer wheels/tires, but the style, while nice, isn't my favorite and he said they're actually heavier than the stock wheels. Will be looking for something lighter and more my taste. Will probably keep using the OE wheels for the winter setup, or maybe switch over to the aftermarket wheels supplied by the previous owner for winter (or sell them, haven't decided).

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I put lighter wheels on mine (stock size) and was surprised I could feel the difference so immediately. Not cheap, but I like the look and the lighter steering was a bonus. Losing that unsprung weight made it feel... dartier.
Or maybe, more darty. Idunno... :unsure:

Last edited:
^^^THIS, EXACTLY! [thumb]

I am even still considering putting new factory springs over Bilstein B6es, since it is only the actual quality and longevity of the factory dampers which has me worried (I love the factory suspension's handling/responsiveness otherwise, and do not really notice all of it's 'faults' like everyone else seems to), especially given the beating they receive on my local roads, and when working ARA rallies.
I can share what I think I know:

On the Mk8 there are 3 different knuckles for different models with different geometry:
-) ST model -> -2cm ride height, lower + faster ratio steering rack, more camber
-) base model (also stline)
-) Active model ->+2cm ride height, higher steering rack

when you put the the stiffer ST springs with ST B6 together with the Active knuckles (this is my setup together with larger bump stops) you only lower 1cm compared to the stock Active supension so your static geometry is still similar to stock Active geometry and the car is lifted compared to the base model with higher natural frequency (the ST with exactly this setup would be a little lower in the front, heavier enine)
I am 90% sure if you use B6 with with the ST knuckles you will end up somewhere between the ST and base model ride height.
B6 for Mk6/7: I do not know if it works like this, but the B6 durability Is good, I have done 1,5 years of street use with many trackdays on mixed surface (gravel, asphalt) where I destroyed wheels but B6 are still going strong. I don't think the B6 on the Mk7 will be worse, I know of people (not on a professional level) who used them in their rallycross and even stage rally (no hardcore gravel stages, mainly asphalt and mixed) cars on a national level without breaking them. So for street or sometimes track use they are 100% fine if you like the reduced rebound/compression compared to stock ST.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^On the Mk7s, if we want to go to either the R2/R2T M-Sport Reiger 3-way adjustable, remote reservoir coil over setup, OR even the more sedate M-Sport R1 Bilstein no rebound/compression adjustments at all coil over, we MUST change our knuckles BACK to the base, non-ST Fiesta's part in order to use them.

Maybe you have just discovered the actual reason why so many on here claim a higher than factory ST ride height when using the B6es with the factory springs, and not as much lowering as they all wanted/were expecting when using them with aftermarket lowering springs?? [dunno]

It makes a lot more sense than just the high(er?) gas pressure in the Bilstein products being the 'culprit'. [wink]