Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

koozy's ST

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #163
Day 3
Installed fluid lines to the turbo that needed to be installed before the downpipe went on. What's nice about the v-band clamp on the turbo/manifold is that you can rotate it to tighten the fittings. Once the downpipe goes on it's lock down.

The downpipe wasn't too bad, but takes more time due to all of the connections with the wastegate and recirculating dump. There's a certain sequence installing it, in order to get things to line up and set in place. For sure what helped me was the mock installation of everything off the car a few days before. This allowed me some insight on how things would go on once I was under the car.

I'm gaining a greater appreciation for how well engineered in terms of fitment and build everything is as I've been putting things together on the car.

Downpipe mounted.

Wastegate, recirculating dump, and O2 sensors mounted to the downpipe.

DHM downpipe mated to Cobb CB. Everything with the DHM catted downpipe clears with ample space for movement.

Day 1
Removed the intake, downpipe and cracked loose the coolant banjos on the stock turbo to let it drain. Sprayed penetrant lube on the manifold nuts to let it soak for a night and called it a day. No pics, because there's plenty of pics around of an intake and downpipe removed from the car.
About how much fluid came out between the coolant and oil lines? I should be installing my DHM kit in about month or so, and im curious if you lose enough to have to top off the fluids. As well as how big of a mess ill have on the garage floor. haha

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #166
About how much fluid came out between the coolant and oil lines? I should be installing my DHM kit in about month or so, and im curious if you lose enough to have to top off the fluids. As well as how big of a mess ill have on the garage floor. haha
Hardly any oil comes out when the push fittings for the oil feed and drain are pulled out. Less than a tablespoon of oil when the turbo is removed and placed on the ground.

About 2qts. of coolant comes out. Basically everything in the reservoir. I don't like working with coolant, so I just loosened the banjos and let it drain overnight into pan. Most of it was out in 30 minutes this way and not a big mess on the floor. I already topped off once with water when I installed the oil cooler and I'll top off again for this, and will take a reading of how much the mixture is. If water content is higher than I'm comfortable with I'll probably drain and replace the coolant over the summer.

Congrats with your kit!

Ok. So it shouldnt be too much of a mess then. I just have this habbit of somehow always being underneath the vehicle whenever liquid drains out of it. haha

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #168
Ok. So it shouldnt be too much of a mess then. I just have this habbit of somehow always being underneath the vehicle whenever liquid drains out of it. haha
I feel you, just a slippery mess. I hate it, lol.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #169
DAY 4

Whelp it's all done. I finished up the fluid and vacuum connections that were left and then put everything else back together.

All buttoned up from the bottom.

All buttoned up from the top.

I decided to add premixed coolant (Dexcool) which meets Ford's specs instead of water, since I already diluted it a few months back with the oil cooler install. I loaded Russ' base map to get it started, then primed the turbo to get oil into it for about 20 seconds before firing it up.

With the car still on jack stands I started it up and immediately noticed a different tone and tune out of the exhaust.
After a few minutes of the car idling I checked for leaks up top and down bellow. There were no signs a leaks. [thumb]

Next is to start the tuning process with Russ, but there's rain in the forecast so tuning it may be awhile....

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #172
I put some shakedown miles on the car today to make sure everything is still good. No leaks and all of my typical gauges look normal on the Accessport.

I'm loving all of the new sounds the car now makes. It's subtle, but it sounds totally different everywhere, even at idle. On acceleration there's a nice rumble, while the BOV and wastegate contribute their own symphonies.

My new rear window belt molding came in from Tasca, so I got a chance to finally replace the one that got beat up when the tree fell over it.

Last edited:
OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #177
Awesome congrats on the install!! I get back from the EcoBoost Shootout in FL and we can get this bad boy dialed in!!
Thanks! I'm really happy I was able to install it and not have to call you. I challenged myself to install it without having to reach out unless I was really stuck. I figured you put the time, effort, thought and included notes and labels to help identify some things, the least I could do is try to figure it out. I did receive words of wisdom and insight from [MENTION=1084]Sirsinclair[/MENTION] which also helped a lot, thanks buddy! The hardest part of the install was mounting the turbo to the manifold due to the weight and working space I had while on my back. Even if I had to drop the axle, it would have offered a little more elbow room, but still would have been challenging. I'm really happy with the quality, build, and fitment of the kit you and Cory have put together. It's all top notch, there's nothing Mickey Mouse about it. I also look forward to getting it tuned!

Its a dated term now, but "sanitary" used to be the highest hot rod compliment. You have it.
Thanks! I take one bolt and nut at a time, really. lol.

Love the under hood picture, crazy sleep status! Congrats on the install
Thanks! When are you expecting your kit?

Last edited:
OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #179
whoa, that's real soon! I was thinking of drawing up a how-to guide. I took a bunch of photos. It's not absolutely necessary, but I wish there was something when I was starting and little pointers can help make the experience easier and quicker. I know there a few others on the horizon that will be getting their kits soon too. There's going to be quite a few DHM turbocharged FiST this coming summer. [rockon]

whoa, that's real soon! I was thinking of drawing up a how-to guide. I took a bunch of photos. It's not absolutely necessary, but I wish there was something when I was starting and little pointers can help make the experience easier and quicker. I know there a few others on the horizon that will be getting their kits soon too. There's going to be quite a few DHM turbocharged FiST this coming summer. [rockon]
I think that's a great idea. I know I would certainly appreciate having a point of reference. [perfect10]