Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

KYB excel-g shock review...not bad at all!

Here is a quick review on the KYB excel-g shocks. I recently purchased a set of swift springs, everyone knows that swifts are tuned to the factory shocks. I wanted to do a refresh but noticed all the performance options like Koni str and Bilstein's were pricey and based on reviews had characteristics that didn't appeal to me such as Koni having a floating feeling to some and the Bilstein's increasing ride height. I saw KYB offered a factory replacement line called the excel-g, from what I've read they're tuned to factory specs and are slightly stiffer to account for factory wear, approximately 10 to 15 percent stiffer. The price point isn't bad either, I got four corners on sale from rock auto for a little over $200 before tax and shipping. The build quality was beefier than the factory "fomoco" shocks. Dampening is on point if not more forgiving than the factory shocks. The fiesta does not bounce around on the freeway anymore. They pair really well with the swift springs as expected. So far I've daily driven them for a week and they feel great, going to get an alignment this weekend once everything settles and take the car for a spirited canyon cruise. I'll give you guys an update once that happens. Happy to know there are other "options" out there than the typical fare. I also found out the the Japanese company TEIN makes shocks for our car as well, one of them being adjustable but still pricey.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Here is a quick review on the KYB excel-g shocks. I recently purchased a set of swift springs, everyone knows that swifts are tuned to the factory shocks. I wanted to do a refresh but noticed all the performance options like Koni str and Bilstein's were pricey and based on reviews had characteristics that didn't appeal to me such as Koni having a floating feeling to some and the Bilstein's increasing ride height. I saw KYB offered a factory replacement line called the excel-g, from what I've read they're tuned to factory specs and are slightly stiffer to account for factory wear, approximately 10 to 15 percent stiffer. The price point isn't bad either, I got four corners on sale from rock auto for a little over $200 before tax and shipping. The build quality was beefier than the factory "fomoco" shocks. Dampening is on point if not more forgiving than the factory shocks. The fiesta does not bounce around on the freeway anymore. They pair really well with the swift springs as expected. So far I've daily driven them for a week and they feel great, going to get an alignment this weekend once everything settles and take the car for a spirited canyon cruise. I'll give you guys an update once that happens. Happy to know there are other "options" out there than the typical fare. I also found out the the Japanese company TEIN makes shocks for our car as well, one of them being adjustable but still pricey.
Thanks for the review, it's always good to get feedback on another option that may be less well-known than some.