Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Last Minute Problem Installing Rear Pads

I can't seem to get the caliper piston screwed back in (the parking brake adjuster). I think the whole thing is turning. Anybody have any ideas?

OP
custom500
Thread Starter #3
I made a sort of spanner wrench so I can grip the top of the piston and twist it. I don't have a way to hold the piston still though. The other side spun right in, no problem.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I made a sort of spanner wrench so I can grip the top of the piston and twist it. I don't have a way to hold the piston still though. The other side spun right in, no problem.
How are the caliper pins? Were they seized?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
There's a tool that you can rent from an auto parts store that makes it easier. I don't know what it's called though

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Are you turning the caliper in the right way? Buying the correct tool or renting it from a local parts store can be done for a deposit* which you get back after you bring the tool back.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Here is the tool Autozone will have or you can buy it from amazon

Amazon.com: OEMTOOLS 27111 Disc Brake Tool Set, Front and Rear Brake Piston Tool, 11 Adapters Included for Use with Most Cars, Forces or Rotates Pistons into Calipers : Automotive

This is a tool they will sell also...its the cheap one but not that great sometimes with leverage. You use it with a 3/8 ratchet.

Amazon.com: Supercrazy Alltooetools 3/8" Disc Brake Piston Caliper Wind Back Cube Tool : Automotive

Last edited:

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks for linking everything, TyphoonFiST!

OP
custom500
Thread Starter #11
Thanks for your replies-

I did get it to go in. I think the screw that's under the piston (and captive to it) wasn't turning with the piston. Since the pitch of those threads is so extreme, I LIGHTLY tapped the piston. Tap tap tap I must have tapped it a thousand times, and so instead of the screw threads turning and pushing the piston out, I reversed the process and turned the screw by tapping the piston in. I was very mindful of the small parts and the little ball bearing under the piston.

Parking brake works fine, pedal feels good. Thanks again for those replies.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thanks for your replies-

I did get it to go in. I think the screw that's under the piston (and captive to it) wasn't turning with the piston. Since the pitch of those threads is so extreme, I LIGHTLY tapped the piston. Tap tap tap I must have tapped it a thousand times, and so instead of the screw threads turning and pushing the piston out, I reversed the process and turned the screw by tapping the piston in. I was very mindful of the small parts and the little ball bearing under the piston.

Parking brake works fine, pedal feels good. Thanks again for those replies.
I wanna say on my focus rears the pistons were out far enough that it required a certain amount of pressure to get the threads to bite to pull it back in.