Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LBS > HP

Will weight be factor in your next vehicle purchase?

• Yes

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Other (see my post)

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Natural gas-powered ICEs emit something like 15% less greenhouse gas than gasoline-powered ICEs. Running an EV “produces” the same about of greenhouse gas as it took to charge it; zero if you charged it from a bunch of solar panels from your roof and a lot if you get your energy from a coal-powered plant

Re. manufacturing, most batteries come from China and mfg efficiency is poor but there are economic reasons for them to get closer to western standards. Disposal has been a theoretical problem b/c EOL EV batteries are just becoming available but now that a supply chain is building so have recycle and downcycle programs.

It’s still early times for EVs and green energy in general but the alternative is not sustainable. A modern ICEV produces something on the order of 1% of the emissions than does a 1960’s era ICEV but is nearing engineering limits. Imagine the energy supply chain and EVs of 60 years from now or, if you prefer for some reason, the state of the climate in 60 years if we don’t make significant changes in our carbon footprint.
You obviously are quick rush to judgement. I do not share the optimism for EV’s that you seem to have even though I am an optimist at heart.
I also am very for changing our carbon footprint I just do not think EV’s are even near the answer and view them as a stop gap at best. This all in on EV’s is a fools folly in my opinion. Lots of things need to be explored and no ICE have not reached close to the end of the road on reducing emissions. You should take a look at what Mazda is doing in this area. Also I do not feel cars are main culprits Diesels are far worse and until very recently there was regulation on them. You live in Pittsburgh I live in LA I am very aware of the effects of global warming how much CARB emission standards have cleaned up our air. You should have seen our air 30 years ago. Oh and while you are calling me out maybe you should rip on all the catless downpipe members running around in your neck of the woods.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You obviously are quick rush to judgement. I do not share the optimism for EV’s that you seem to have even though I am an optimist at heart.
I also am very for changing our carbon footprint I just do not think EV’s are even near the answer and view them as a stop gap at best. This all in on EV’s is a fools folly in my opinion. Lots of things need to be explored and no ICE have not reached close to the end of the road on reducing emissions. You should take a look at what Mazda is doing in this area. Also I do not feel cars are main culprits Diesels are far worse and until very recently there was regulation on them. You live in Pittsburgh I live in LA I am very aware of the effects of global warming how much CARB emission standards have cleaned up our air. You should have seen our air 30 years ago. Oh and while you are calling me out maybe you should rip on all the catless downpipe members running around in your neck of the woods.
I grew up in LA and know the air problems well. I spend lots of time in Europe and see and smell the emissions from diesels and Europe’s lean on CO2 regulation over NOX and particulates. Search this forum; I get pissy when people talk about catless downpipes. You read the post where I agreed that EVs are only as clean as the source of the charge. I don’t think that I'm doing the judgement-jumping.

I don’t feel that burning something mined to get us from A to B is sustainable, whether it’s gas or diesel in an ICE or natural gas or coal in a power plant. Taking sequestered carbon from the ground and pumping it into the atmosphere for personal transportation is not sustainable. EVs give us a path away from that.

I know how desperately you need to get the last word in, so go ahead.

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
What needs to be done...Is quit building all these safety features into stuff. Simple use of natural selection by mother nature due to Dumb people. Just like in idiocracy only stupid people are breeding...Where is that Brawndo at I'm thirsty!
Like people eating Tide pods. I agree with you.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I sat in a new Explorer ST today. Loved the feel and features of it. Then remembered the power it makes - 400hp with a tune (or was it 500?)!. And then realized, this thing is a damn tank. Thanks to the 10 speed, it is decently fast. Remove the rear seats and drop the instrument panel for a lighter no-frills one and you're really set. Still couldn't corner worth squat though, thanks to high center of gravity.

While I hate the cheapness of our FiSTs, it does play an important role in what they are. They're meant to be agle. Also decent MPG (at least more than my Mustang lol).

Weight is an issue in economy, but car makers can't escape it. Tight safety requirements, people wanting more tech and features, and of course the SUV/crappy crossover craze. That's why we're seeing 8, 10 speed transmissions and aluminum panels. Also partly why cars cost so damn much. And why even the best companies have many recalls now. Weight or horsepower won't directly drive any future purchase I may have, but could be a factor in it (want an EB HiPo 6 speed Mustang or a new Bronco).

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
Does the EST have some form of all wheel drive? If 10 gears improves mileage and allows use of smaller engines on tanks, helps their engines stay in the peak torque bands, peak power ranges, what does that do for the more reasonably sized vehicles? But then, ten gears adds a lot of weight, takes up a ton of space, and negatively impacts reliability.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Does the EST have some form of all wheel drive? If 10 gears improves mileage and allows use of smaller engines on tanks, helps their engines stay in the peak torque bands, peak power ranges, what does that do for the more reasonably sized vehicles? But then, ten gears adds a lot of weight, takes up a ton of space, and negatively impacts reliability.
Yes it does have all wheel drive

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

As far as I've seen (and test drove), mostly keeps the RPM's low - skipping gears for the best mix of fuel economy/acceleration. Slam on it and the higher (numerically) gears are selected for faster acceleration. I think first is also around 4.80:1, which is insane IMO. Quite a trick transmission, but question why flappy paddles to control it? Would hate to track a Mustang with one.

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
Sounds like the best compromise between normal gearing versus CVT. CVT from what I read can be uncomfortably slow to react.

If you slam on the accelerator for faster acceleration, the gearing should either drop or stay the same (in lieu of normal advance). You're probably thinking about the RPMs. Lower gears = higher RPMs. Higher gears = lower RPMs. (not a direct correlation as wheel speed is the input factor)

Sounds like the best compromise between normal gearing versus CVT. CVT from what I read can be uncomfortably slow to react.

If you slam on the accelerator for faster acceleration, the gearing should either drop or stay the same (in lieu of normal advance). You're probably thinking about the RPMs. Lower gears = higher RPMs. Higher gears = lower RPMs. (not a direct correlation as wheel speed is the input factor)
Describing gear ratios always gets me lol. I just remember higher number means higher RPM.