Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Lightweight 11.2 lbs fly wheel

Hey guys
Looking at the ttv lightweight flywheel which weighs 5.1kg or 11.2 lbs
People tend to exegerate the downsides to these
Anyone running a lightweight flywheel?

My specification is 290whp 280 wtorque How do you find this upgrade?
Any downsides?
Do you feel much of a difference in acceleration?
Thankyou

NOVA_Ranger

U.S. Army Veteran
Can't speak to a light-weight flywheel in the Fiesta, but I did install one in an E36 BMW M3 that I owned. In that car, it did help acceleration a bit...however I was not a fan of the overall daily drivability afterwards (needed higher RPMs to get rolling / more prone to stalling out). I assume there would be a similar change to drivability with the Fiesta.

I can't speak to a lightweight flywheel on the fiesta. But in 2 of my previous Hondas and my current mustang have lightweight flywheels. They all lost a little bit of drive-ability in the low end but it helped make the care more lively on the top end of the rpm. All my cars are time attack/ canyon cars so they live in the mid to high rpm range. You also lose a touch of mpg in all 3 cars. The benefit far outweighs the cons in my opinion.

Dialcaliper

Speaking from experience with other cars, lighter flywheels won’t make much noticable difference in acceleration. The flywheel isnt just there to slip the clutch in first, it’s mostly there to dampen out the torque that fluctuates because of the combustion pulses (not to be confused with the crank and driveline torsional vibration/chatter, which is where the actual crank damper and dual mass flywheels come in) . It’s true that heavier flywheels are used by most OEMs to make slipping the clutch and everyday driving easier

Where light flywheels make the biggest difference is in rev-matching. An ultra light aluminum flywheel and 3 or 4-puck clutch makes for beautiful clean downshifts (and fast up shifts) because the engine and transmission under no load can change speed quickly.

Aluminum flywheels are usually a terrible, unnecessary idea in a street car that sees any kind of stop and go in traffic or stoplights/signs. Middle of the road “chromoly” flywheels are a good compromise.

Flywheel weights are a bit deceptive when it comes to comparing between vehicles, but on this car, 11 lb is probably a bit on the light side. A 15-18lb single mass flywheel is probably a decent compromise.

On a Miata (which I’m more familiar with having done a chromoly and driven a car with an aluminum flywheel once), the equivalents are 8lb and ~11-13lb flywheels.

The slightly larger flywheel on the Fiesta means the larger flywheel has a lot more “dead” weight at the core as the vast majority of the “work” is done by the very outermost rim of the flywheel, and the actual inertia of the flywheels is probably similar (8->11, 13->17)

Aluminum flywheels are also a terrible idea for the street because the separate friction surface insert is not well cooled by the rest of the flywheel, so they are much easier to overheat.

TL;DR if you’re not absolutely sure of what you’re doing, and aren’t building a race car that will never see stoplights, hills or traffic, but you still want a lighter flywheel, go with the middle of the road single mass chromoly flywheel (15-18lb) which is still much lighter than stock, and I guarantee you won’t totally hate it.

You also won’t be disappointed in the difference it makes compared with the stock one, but it will still be forgiving enough on the street to drive around town.

Last edited:
I don't have a lot of experience with lightweight flywheels, but I didn't like it when I drove a Miata with one. It didn't feel much "zingier" and revs dropped very quickly leading to stalling, etc. I'm sure one could become accustomed to it, but I didn't during the short experience.

I had a RX-7 Turbo II which came with a very heavy flywheel (28lbs). My Mazda RX-8 had basically the same engine with a much lighter flywheel (17lbs) from the factory and a little lighter rotating mass in the engine. The lighter flywheel in the RX-8 was a nice improvement from a feel and rec matching perspective.

I think the factory FiST flywheel is 25lbs. Based on my experience I could see a potentially worthwhile experience reducing some weight, but I don't know if I'd want a super light flywheel.

Last edited: