Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Learnings from installing the 2j intake, since I couldn't find much install help.

Erick_V

Everyone says the intake is 13/10 loud. I agree with you on how audible (perhaps inaudible) it is inside the car. The sounds you hear in videos is what you hear but its seems like its louder in videos than in person. With the radio above like 10 you hardly know its there. Even cruising at 70 you can hardly hear it unless you're going uphill. Also I didn't have any fitment issues. Mine fit fine with no rubbing anywhere, I purchased his most recent batch

exactly, I normally drive with the radio turned very loudly, so it wont bother me at all. I also bought his most recent batch, but I didn't use the hard black silicone piece and just reused the original input because of the weird sensor that's there.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #43
Everyone says the intake is 13/10 loud. I agree with you on how audible (perhaps inaudible) it is inside the car. The sounds you hear in videos is what you hear but its seems like its louder in videos than in person. With the radio above like 10 you hardly know its there. Even cruising at 70 you can hardly hear it unless you're going uphill. Also I didn't have any fitment issues. Mine fit fine with no rubbing anywhere, I purchased his most recent batch
It’s much more annoying with the stock dv than with my turbosmart em2 installed. With the turbosmart it does less “Vader breathing” when the dev vacillates between open and closed.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #44
exactly, I normally drive with the radio turned very loudly, so it wont bother me at all. I also bought his most recent batch, but I didn't use the hard black silicone piece and just reused the original input because of the weird sensor that's there.
I popped the hard black hose off the stock pcv thingy and connected the 2j to that to accommodate that sensor and it fit perfectly.

Does the 2j make your cowl “buzz” during decel in gear? Mines great when freshly installed when the filter is “wedged” into the cowl area, but once it comes un-wedged it vibrates the cowl pretty loudly. I like the turbo sounds, but the vibration (and occasional thunking of the filter bouncing around) are a bit annoying. I’d like it more if it was easier to get to the filter to re-wedge it lol :)

I did that as well, for the sensor

And I can't really tell if it's vibrating it it's just the sound it's making when trying to suck air, on decel no I haven't heard any vibrating yet but only have like maybe 10 miles on it so far

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #46
I did that as well, for the sensor

And I can't really tell if it's vibrating it it's just the sound it's making when trying to suck air, on decel no I haven't heard any vibrating yet but only have like maybe 10 miles on it so far

Gotcha. Where I notice it is decelerating it makes a loud hum in the dash because it’s vibrating (something) in there. Follow up if you hear the hum!

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #48
An update - I've eliminated all the drone from my exhaust and various chassis vibrations, and I finally tracked down the last buzz/drone I get in the passenger compartment. The intake tube for the 2JR intake is touching the frame of the cabin air intake (rests right behind the 2jr pipe) - when it touches it I get a loud buzz in the dash/cabin. I've been trying to adjust it, but if I rotate the intake pipe away from there, the Filter doesn't fit on quite squarely. Anyone else?

Clip included, where you can hear the loud drone/buzz.
at roughly 7 seconds, and any other time I sweep through the RPM range, you can hear it.
The buzz makes it seem like my exhaust is a lot louder than it is, all that hum/buzz is coming from the dash.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #50
Here's what I got of mine, the video makes it sound louder than it is, but i dont necessarily detect any drone really that is noticable

View: https://youtu.be/-IP5awM6vno

Was it kinda hard to get your filter squarely onto the pipe? Since it (intake pipe) doesn't have a lip I wanted it waaaay on there so I had to rotate the pipe and it wound up resting against the cabin filter thingy. I can probably rotate it out a bit more, but the filter will barely be on the intake pipe, with no lip for grippage.

Was it kinda hard to get your filter squarely onto the pipe? Since it (intake pipe) doesn't have a lip I wanted it waaaay on there so I had to rotate the pipe and it wound up resting against the cabin filter thingy. I can probably rotate it out a bit more, but the filter will barely be on the intake pipe, with no lip for grippage.
Not necessarily I guess because I got lucky with how we positioned it the intake only touches the top bar and everywhere else inside the cowl doesn't seem to touch anything that I recall, maybe this next weekend I'll get back into it to double check as it's only been maybe a week

Erick_V

My intake probably has at least half an inch before it touches the metal part of the cowl. I never checked how close it was to the cabin filter. I don’t think it’s that close but after seeing pics it makes me think it’s really close if not touching. My only complaint is the lack of a bead on the filter side. It made getting the filter on a complete nightmare because it kept wanting to push off the end while tightening

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #53
My intake probably has at least half an inch before it touches the metal part of the cowl. I never checked how close it was to the cabin filter. I don’t think it’s that close but after seeing pics it makes me think it’s really close if not touching. My only complaint is the lack of a bead on the filter side. It made getting the filter on a complete nightmare because it kept wanting to push off the end while tightening
yeah it makes me worry that vibration will make it slip off. Luckily its quick to take off the upper cowl and check.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #54
I loosened the silicone hose where it attaches to the turbo and rotated the entire intake a bit so the filter wasn't wedged against the firewall. It flops around a bit more when starting the car, but the metal pipe is no longer resting on the cabin air supply filter... thingy, so there's a lot less hum/buzzing.