Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Let's talk +300whp and beyond for the Fiesta ST

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Since there's been a lot of discussions on ATP releasing upgraded turbo parts for the Fiesta ST, let's use this thread to discuss different ways on how we can build a +300whp Fiesta ST.

To start, I would like to know at which point will the Fiesta ST's stock motor will require a bottom end build to sustain high levels of horsepower.

Does anyone know if the stock motor has forged rods and pistons or will they need to be upgraded?

We have a lot of smart minds on this forum, so let's discuss...[raceflag]

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
It has forged rods and die cast aluminum pistons.

I personally think this motor will be good to 300whp/300wtq no problem. And if fueling becomes a problem, we can run an e85 mix because of the DI (as long as your tuned for it) or meth which is also good on DI as it helps keep the intake valves clean.
ATP seems to have gotten the Fiesta up to at least 270whp on stock cat back exhaust, I imagine once they lose that they will be knocking at 300whps doorstep.

250 wont be a problem for this vehicle at all. Hell I bet you could drop in an ATP kit on a completely stock car, and as long as it is tuned for it, youll make 250whp.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
The 1.6 motor has a cast crank, forged rods and pistons, I think that's correct from the ST supplemental [raceflag]

I would love to know/ learn more from the fueling stand-point because I have no idea what the limitations / capabilities of Ford DI are.

One thing that is awesome is that the 1.6 unlike the 2.0 actually has a real manifold, the stock one is a cast iron "log" but its better than nothing,

unlike the stupid cast into head set-up like the 2.0, a nice tubular manifold along with big turbo should see some nice power, fueling issues aside.

OP
MKVIIST

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Thread Starter #4
It has forged rods and die cast aluminum pistons.

I personally think this motor will be good to 300whp/300wtq no problem. And if fueling becomes a problem, we can run an e85 mix because of the DI (as long as your tuned for it) or meth which is also good on DI as it helps keep the intake valves clean.
ATP seems to have gotten the Fiesta up to at least 270whp on stock cat back exhaust, I imagine once they lose that they will be knocking at 300whps doorstep.
Very cool Colin, I've updated the title to push the bounds of the Fiesta ST's limit[twothumb]

OP
MKVIIST

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Thread Starter #6
Can we really run E85? When I spoke to Ford they said that it's not recommended that our motors use E85.

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
Can we really run E85? When I spoke to Ford they said that it's not recommended that our motors use E85.
I don't know why you couldn't? You'd need a tune but after you should be good .
I ran 3 gallons of e85 on my speed6 when I had a GT3076 on it.

OP
MKVIIST

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Thread Starter #8
Here's a quote from Jayson D at Ford.
The 1.6L EcoBoost Engine is capable of E85 but not in the Fiesta ST application (vehicle fuel system items, etc. haven’t been upgraded for E85). It is a vehicle to vehicle decision. Some other Ford vehicles with the 1.6L EcoBoost are E85 capable.

TheStig

I wouldn't necessarily say that. E85 did funny things to O-rings and some rubber/plastic when it was exposed to it. So our fuel system may need upgrades to run it, otherwise it may "eat" through components if you will.

A friend doing fuel pump internals on his 2008 MS3 accidently soaked an o-ring in E85 instead of gasoline and it expanded at least 15% past its original size and made it not fit. Had to let it dry out then it became brittle. Not sure if that's a possibility for us, but just fair warning.

^^305 to 320 you say? By July? Sure you will....

When you do that, post the photos of the dynographs with a red cup next to it and then be sure to send us photocopies of the bill for a new transmission and longblock because you'll be running your car on borrowed time.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. E85 did funny things to O-rings and some rubber/plastic when it was exposed to it. So our fuel system may need upgrades to run it, otherwise it may "eat" through components if you will.

A friend doing fuel pump internals on his 2008 MS3 accidently soaked an o-ring in E85 instead of gasoline and it expanded at least 15% past its original size and made it not fit. Had to let it dry out then it became brittle. Not sure if that's a possibility for us, but just fair warning.
That's a common issue for e85 use. It just comes with the territory and most likely boils down to the chemical makeup used to produce o-rings (most likely petroleum based).

I'm interested to see what a stock Fiesta makes with an adjusted tank full of 101octane/C16. Might have to try that one myself.

ATP has been doing clutch dumps on their +300hp ST w/ stock drivetrain and it hasnt failed yet.

I had over that on my duractec focus and never had any failed components.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Difference is between Buna-N and Viton o-rings, also the type of fuel lines used. This determines whether a fuel system is compatible with e85. Viton is compatible, buna-n is not. If the same materials are used on the ST that are used on the Mustang, we're not e85 compatible. But this means changing out materials.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Even a 50/50 mix of e85/93oct would do wonders. e85 is some awesome stuff. Stock bmw 2.0L motors ( x1 and other smaller models) are putting down damn near 300whp with just E85 and a tune with an auto trans.