Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Lightweight Advanti 17x8 (4x108) Wheels

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
[MENTION=1333]BoostBumps[/MENTION] the Super mod strikes again. I don't how you keep all those old threads in ur head but I'm glad you do!

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
uh yea. the one on the rear is a different style of wheel. did you buy them as a set?
Good eye. I bent a rim, so I decided to buy 2 Advanti to do a sort of test fit/trial run. I like em. I figured run them with the same caps as the XXR 527 since hey look so similar. 17x8 on 215/40/17 on Mountune Springs and no rub.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
uh yea. the one on the rear is a different style of wheel. did you buy them as a set?
Good eye. I bent a rim, so I decided to buy 2 Advanti to do a sort of test fit/trial run. I like em. I figured run them with the same caps as the XXR 527 since hey look so similar. 17x8 on 215/40/17 on Mountune Springs and no rub.

How strong are Advanti wheels typically? I was thinking of wrapping Direzza ZII Star Specs 215/40's around these, but there are definitely some shitty roads around where I live.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
I don't know what type of strength testing they do, but I will say that they're flow formed which makes them nearly as light and strong as Forges wheels. I've driven around for years on crummy New York roads on all manner of wheels while being lowered and never had issues with breaking or bending wheels unless I hit a huge pothole at speed. I'm pretty confident theses will hold up to anything I throw at them.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
They are very strong wheels and will take most any abuse except major potholes I am sure, made by Konig, lots of cars are racing on their other roll formed wheels now.

Really great to seen another color option for those wanting it:)

OP
G
Thread Starter #133
I have no idea where you're getting that figure, as it is not listed on the Ebay page or their website. I looked on Good-Win Racing (proven trustworthy in this thread) to compare weight for an estimate. They don't carry the 17x8 in Hyper Silver, so the closest comparison is 15x9 Black and 15x9 Hyper Silver. He noted a 0.2- to 0.5-lb difference. Let's say it's slightly more due to wheel being bigger in the case of 17x8.

My highest estimate is 17.5 lbs per wheel, but probably less. If anybody gets the wheel in this finish, please verify weight with a photo of it on a scale! Unfortunately, these wheels are barely available, and with that comes inaccuracies on vendor sites. You would be doing those on the fence a great service, like the fine gentleman who verified the Matte Black finish for us.

Edit: Thanks to [MENTION=4532]posts[/MENTION] for the mentioned weight verification.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
They do carry 17x8 hyper silver
http://www.ebay.com/itm/332023319991?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

My question is, if I put 215-40-17 will there be rubbing? I believe the offsets on the 17x8 is 45
Depends upon how much camber you want to run. I'm using 6UL 17x8ET45 and had to use 12.5mm spacers so that I could run 2.5? of camber without hitting the shock tube on my ST XTA coilovers with the inside lip of the wheel. I didn't have a problem with stock-ish camber.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The 17x8 Storm S1 in 4x100 +45mm in Goodwinracing.com shows 16.8 lbs and I know they weigh every size wheel they sell, the 4x108 will be the weight same or damn near it.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-1649.html

Also the wheel is significantly stronger being flow formed than a cast or heat treated cast wheel.

If one is worried about bad roads then stepping down to a 15 or 16" wheel is the best option no matter how good the wheels are made in 17, more sidewall with the right tires is going to ride better and take out a great deal of the load the wheel has to endure, doing so with lighter strong wheels will be even better.

---------------

For those wanting 17's you must pick tires by actual specs, not by the generic sidewall numbers which can be very misleading.

Most wider tires are to tall for this car, another reason to switch to smaller diameter wheels but these will work well though spacers may be needed depending on camber settings.

Weights are rounded up or down, not specified in most cases but all things being considered saving weight that far out from the center is an important consideration.

Summer only super stick tires meaning they do not last long:

Bridgeston RE71R,
205/45/17 24.3" diameter which gains .5" sidewall from rim to ground compared to the stock tires, will help on bad roads
8.1 section width is good, 7.0 tread width is rather narrow, $143 in Tirerack
21 lbs, $143

Dunlop SS II,
205/45/17, 24.3" diameter as above
8.1 section, 7.6 tread width is better than above
20 lbs, $153

Dunlop SS II,
215/40/17, 23.8 diameter, .25 sidewall gain
8.6 section, 8.0 tread (as wide as I would put on an 8" rim)
22lbs, $162

Falken RT615K (I have no experience with these tires but the older version road like a brick and noisy, got greasy fast, these are supposed to be much better)
205/40/17, 23.4 diameter, close to stock so ride likely stiff, not as good over bad roads due to stiff sides and lower profile.
8.5 section, 7.2 tread, not that wide
20lbs, $126

RT615
215/40/17, 23.9 diameter which is better than above
8.7 section, 7.3 tread, barely wider
20lbs, same weight, $131, not sure why they made them so close to the 205/40/17 in actual specs

Federal RS-R
215/40/17, 23.7 diameter
8.7 section, 7.5 tread
22lbs, CHEAP to buy, very good things written about these tires for the price hard to beat I hear but I have never tried them.

----------
Best summer only longer lasting, fitment, etc...:

BFG Sport Comp 2
205/45/17, 24.3 diameter, good for bad roads
8.1 section, 7.8 tread which is a very good fit on an 8" rim
21lbs, $94, great price, longer lasting than the above and a very competent tire

------------

Best high performance AS tires which are really 3 season and what you want if you drive below 50 degrees in the rain and light snow, some summer only tires may even crack if to cold!

Mich PS A/S3+
205/45/17, 24.3 diameter
8.1 section, 6.8 tread (rather narrow but not always a bad thing in the snow, rain, cold)
22lbs, $152
(note, I ran this size in the none plus version, W or Y rated, road like a brick, very noisy, gave them to my daughter and went to 15s
they looked quite wide on 7" wheels and a bit more stretched than I liked on her 17x8 Enkei wheels)

Nitto NeoGen
Damn good AS tire for the money, what I now run in 205/50/15 on 15x8 6ul and love them, far nicer to drive on than the Mich I had on 17's and I am very impressed in the cold and wet on my car with a big turbo, tight suspension, etc)

205/40/17, 23.54" diameter so close to stock
8.5 section, tread width not listed but they run quite wide, the size I run above is perfect on an 8" rime
weight not listed but they are not super heavy. $80 each on Discounttiredirect

205/45/17, 24.33 diameter (best pick for bad roads)
8.23 section, width likely good on an 8
Weight likely not an issue, $94

215/40/17, 23.9" diameter (better than the 205/40 on bad roads)
8.86 section so likely nice wide tread but good on an 8" wheel
Weight should be a none issue, $97 each

I have not used the NeoGen in 17's but I would buy them over the Mich AS/3 if I ran 17's again, since selling the car I might put some on the 17x7 feathers I have since all my 15's are wanted by others here.

-------------

These recommendations are based on looking at real specs and my real use or info from those that are actually in the business and have far more experience than us on the forums.

There are other lessor tires to pick from as well but not many that will do what these tires will do, if you need a more hard core AS tire as in more than a dusting of snow then others will likely suite your needs better or run dedicated winter wheels and tires.

Thousands of racers now run flow formed wheels instead of forged or cast for good reasons, cost to strength ratio, etc, there are some good heat treated cast wheels used by members here.

Hope this helps, I just spent an hour on it:)

Rick

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Spacers:
1) make sure you have at least the number of threads left to engage the lug nuts as the diameter of the studs but longer is always better, if not then you need longer studs
2) if running up to 5mm you can use simple flat spacers, I make my own thinner ones usually
3) if over 5mm you should be running hub centric spacers.

Hub rings:
1) aluminum ones only for any serious track use or even hard canyon run, plastic can easily melt at higher temps
2) tight fitting is best
3) $20 or so on Ebay, great ones to be found

Lug nuts:
1) my favorite is open ended Gorilla spine drive, close to the weight of longer closed end aluminum but far more durable, I have race on them for years without issue.

Valve stems:
1) I just love to run good aluminum stems as long as they are not sticking out where they can get damaged I always do so.
2) If you run rubber stems make sure of good quality as some are not so and not safe to run.