Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

M12X1.25 Pitch 3.5" 15 Degrees Bent Shifter Extension

airjor13

2000 Post Club

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281184508562?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So some of us have complaints about the reach of the 3-5 gear shift, I got so annoyed with my seating position that I started looking around for a solution to this.

I really like a tall shifter closer to the driver, I found this very well made and reasonable priced shifter extension, the fit and finish is incredible good and its bronze not aluminum.

Here is how it looks installed with my JBR shift knob, it's not parallel to the driver but about 20 degrees towards the driver, but 15 degrees bent back.

I can sit further back into my seat and the taller shifter is amazing at least to me. This isn't for everyone but it's just another option for those that like a taller shifter!

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
That came out looking fairly decent. How much taller is it over stock?

OP
airjor13

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
That came out looking fairly decent. How much taller is it over stock?
The manufacture quoted it as an 3.5 inch extension, but I just measured the increase to be right under 3 inches over stock. I will try and get some better, further away pictures in daylight [biggrin]

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
The manufacture quoted it as an 3.5 inch extension, but I just measured the increase to be right under 3 inches over stock. I will try and get some better, further away pictures in daylight [biggrin]
So basically you untwist the stock knob and screw on the extension correct?

OP
airjor13

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
So basically you untwist the stock knob and screw on the extension correct?
Yes, but I forgot to add that if you are using the stock or a knob like the Cobb, you will need to thread down a M12x1.25 wide hex nut to push down on the reverse lockout to retain the function.

The JBR knob came already with the hex nut so just re-use that to push down on the lockout spring. It will take some time to make sure the everything is lined up perfectly to your liking! I like mine pointing slighting towards myself, some will like it directly parallel to the driver.

OP
airjor13

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
How difficult is it to raise the reverse lockout collar?
Not difficult at all, I just kind of grab the stick/extension, pull up on the lockout collar. Its definitely different and might take a few days to get used too, but not bad at all.

You can screw the hex nut down closer or more up to the collar to increase / decrease the tension of the lockout pull if you like.

So..... You could use any old shift knob with this right? Since it no longer has to clear the lockout?

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I'd recommend a black washer and nut at the original shift knob location to finish it out, and hide the spring. I just purchased mine. I like the fact that it allows you to use any correct thread shift knob. Thanks for the info on this.

JPGC

2000 Post Club

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281184508562?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So some of us have complaints about the reach of the 3-5 gear shift, I got so annoyed with my seating position that I started looking around for a solution to this.

I really like a tall shifter closer to the driver, I found this very well made and reasonable priced shifter extension, the fit and finish is incredible good and its bronze not aluminum.

Here is how it looks installed with my JBR shift knob, it's not parallel to the driver but about 20 degrees towards the driver, but 15 degrees bent back.

I can sit further back into my seat and the taller shifter is amazing at least to me. This isn't for everyone but it's just another option for those that like a taller shifter!
Nice find and I like it. After watching all of the Gymkhana video, I really want to do this, lol.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Nice, quick, easy mod to fix the way to low shifter location:)

--------------------

I love a much taller and closer shifter and went to great pains to make it happen on my car then later figured out an easier way and it can be added to this to raise it quite a bit more if you wish. By itself it raises the whole shifter mount assembly around 2.75" but could be any depth lower than that wanted.
Very low cost mod as well.

---------------------

One thing about extending the lever as in this thread, it will lengthen the throw quite a bit so a short shift kit is a must I am sure but now available from Boomba for a great price.

------------------

Great to see more and more fun mods coming out that are functional:)

I just ordered one.

Rick

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I was looking at this thread again and it might be possible to put a sleeve over the extension and use the lockout with a shift knob made for it.

I will see what I can figure out when I get it.

If that works just get or make a custom boot, good to go:)

The stock boot is stretched as far as possible on my raised setup so I need to get one made or DIY anyway.

OP
airjor13

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
I was looking at this thread again and it might be possible to put a sleeve over the extension and use the lockout with a shift knob made for it.

I will see what I can figure out when I get it.

If that works just get or make a custom boot, good to go:)

The stock boot is stretched as far as possible on my raised setup so I need to get one made or DIY anyway.
Yea that would be cool, let me know how it goes Rick!

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I love the ease of reach and angle that this would provide...nice job!

How difficult is it now to engage reverse?