Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Manual Override for Amp Turn-On ?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
EDIT 22y04m30d15h49m38s: This thread has been abandoned for this one...
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/guide-amp-remote-turn-on-relay-12v-outlets.29095/On
/EDIT

On occasion, I like to listen after parking with the engine off.
Amp/Sub turns off with engine/ignition.

I'd like a timer based, manual override button for turning the amp/sub back on.
I don't want the unnecessary drain of it remaining on, (timer or not,) after every ignition off.

I'll need to verify whether Sync 3, de/activates its USB ports with the radio.
If that's the case, it will serve as a good method for signaling the amp on/off.
That might require adding an additional relay, but won't need a second** timer-delayed independently powered switch.

===== Additional Detail ================================

Not aware of any purpose-built amp turn-on signal for the radio.
The R9 Accessory Delay relay operates (windows, rear outlet, etc) independent of the radio.
The rear outlet for the 2016 is switched off on a long delay along with everything else, like the power windows.
You'd have to periodically open a door or briefly turn on the ignition back on to reactivate the rear outlet.
Front outlet is hot-at-all times for the 2016 model year but may be different for other model years.
How does the OEM sub built into the base-Fiesta get their turn-on signal? (the sub is an option for the non-ST Fiesta)
My 600RMS Alpine amp doesn't have an auto on/off based on speaker input. (and in the distant past that was prone to issues anyway)
Though the amp is over ten years old, not buying another.

Currently have my amp turn on tied in with the passenger compartment fuse panel; been this way for years with no issues.

** I also installed a manual interrupt; this nice blue lighted pushbutton switch on the removable panel beside the shifter in the driver foot well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S8R2DC0/
1635599339043.png
This allows me to turn-off the amp when the engine is running; handy if you've unloaded the sub or are parking in an area where you'd rather not "advertise" your sound system.

=====================================================================

Fuse for "Cigar Lighter" circuit is 20A.
Selected 5v SPST-NO Non-Latching relay. Coil will consume 180mA of available USB power. Contacts are 30A rated.

DigiKey Search Results - Link1
Relay Ordered from DigiKey -
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/T9GV1L14-5/PB2362-ND/8345122?itemSeq=386187231

Last edited:
OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #2
So, last night, waiting in car for someone to come out, the radio timed-out and turned off.
The USB port turned of with it, on short delay.
Hit the radio power button and the USB ports activated with the radio.
Hit the radio power button again, and the USB ports switch off on short delay.

So the plan is to add a relay, triggered by 5v power from the USB ports.

Current setup is:
* Fuse tap on hot with ignition on.​
* Manual interrupt switch (mentioned above)​
* Amp​
Planned setup is:
Circuit A
* Fuse tap from hot-at-all-times
* Hot-at-all-times wire from front 12v Outlet (unique to 2016 models)​
* Relay (switch side)​
* Manual interrupt switch (mentioned above)​
* Amp​
Circuit B
* Tap from 5v USB power wire (might need to pull up console but maybe not)​
* Relay (coil side)​
* Ground​
So the way this will work is, anytime the radio switches on the USB ports, the amp will get its turn-on signal.

For the 2016 models, the front 12v Outlet is hot-at-all-times. I plan to run the wire, powering that outlet through that same relay. The effect of which, that front outlet will be switched on/off with the radio as well.

I'll post up more detail once I implement the plan.

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Even with the radio turned off, it keeps its USB ports active until the Accessory Delay (presumably R9 Relay) disables the power windows, rear outlet, interior lights, etcetera. The Accessory Delay is triggered either by timer or when the driver door is opened; whichever comes first. Once the Accessory Delay is triggered, the radio begins switching the USB ports on/off, as the radio is switched on or off. The USB ports are reactivated as soon as a door triggered. This gives the radio the head-start it needs to boot and index the USB drive's content. If the radio is shutdown again (by closing the door) the USB ports are shutdown with it.

Since the front 12v Outlet for my 2016 is Hot-At-All-Times, this will be my circuit setup.
1636943959670.png

Last edited:
OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Finally got my wiring diagrams to work; had to reinstall the Adobe SVG component.
For whatever reason the installer from the disc no longer installs it automatically; must look on the disc and install it manually.

This shows why the Auxiliary Outlet in the rear turns on/off while the front stays hot-at-all times.
The wire is red. But following C314 junction it will match color with the switched outlet. So I will need to test and confirm which red wire needs to be cut and routed through the relay.
1637202483935.png

No specific detail for the USB ports on Sync 3. But it's likely that the only difference is, they were relocated to being inside the console, away from the "cigar lighter".
1637203691770.png

1637203890872.png

1637204272092.png

1637204320976.png 1637204399303.png

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
EDIT 22y04m30d16h13m29s: This thread has been abandoned for this one...
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/guide-amp-remote-turn-on-relay-12v-outlets.29095/On
/EDIT

Even with the radio turned off, it keeps its USB ports active until the Accessory Delay (presumably R9 Relay) disables the power windows, rear outlet, interior lights, etcetera. The Accessory Delay is triggered either by timer or when the driver door is opened; whichever comes first. Once the Accessory Delay is triggered, the radio begins switching the USB ports on/off, as the radio is switched on or off. The USB ports are reactivated as soon as a door triggered. This gives the radio the head-start it needs to boot and index the USB drive's content. If the radio is shutdown again (by closing the door) the USB ports are shutdown with it. ................
One additional detail with operation. The USB ports stay active during engine crank. Whether or not it's good for an amp to remain powered during crank is something I'll look into.

The relay I selected...
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/T9GV1L14-5/PB2362-ND/8345122?itemSeq=386187231
1644541997047.png

Last edited: