Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Master Cylinder Leak

2016 Fist 1.6T Manual

Brake fluid is dripping from the clutch master INSIDE of the car as pictured:

Would this be as simple as swapping in a new master cylinder and bleeding or am I looking at something big all together you guys think?

Attachments

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
2016 Fist 1.6T Manual

Brake fluid is dripping from the clutch master INSIDE of the car as pictured:

Would this be as simple as swapping in a new master cylinder and bleeding or am I looking at something big all together you guys think?
Mileage?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

correct,i replaced just the cylinder and not the whole pedal although you have to take out the whole thing including the pedal as it is built into each other.hope that makes sense.

OP
B
Thread Starter #7
Yeah I saw the torx screws in there holding it together. It's actually not a.... Terrible design I dont think, the older models with it integral are sketchy though lol

OP
B
Thread Starter #8
correct,i replaced just the cylinder and not the whole pedal although you have to take out the whole thing including the pedal as it is built into each other.hope that makes sense.
How did you go about bleeding the clutch after installing btw? I'm not too sure where the bleed nipple is on these.

here check this utubewww.youtube.com/watch?v=-1AGBuwuzVg
you will need someone to help you.they will have to push the clutch pedal down so you can bleed the line. i had to take the battery and the battery holder out of the car as well as the air filter system so i could see what i was doing.it is fairly simple to do.good luck!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1AGBuwuzVg

sorry i messed up the utube address this should work
That is a great Video! Doesn't look to be a horrible job. Minus how to bleed the system. That would've been even better and more of a complete repair. I hope others see this and it helps!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
........... you will need someone to help you.they will have to push the clutch pedal down .............
When I did the master cylinder with my previous car, I used free weights to hold the pedal down. A proper length board to wedge between seat and pedal may also work. This clutch pedal is a heckovalot lighter than previous vehicle.

Reverse bleed the clutch took me 3 minutes and only had to do it once. And one person can do it. Screenshot_20210415-225101_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210415-225109_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210415-225117_Chrome.jpg

This is the tool I used to push fluid into the slave cylinder. Really don't need it you can just used a 20 oz bottle with hose attached with fluid in there.
Screenshot_20210408-140027_Chrome.jpg

OP
B
Thread Starter #14
Reverse bleed the clutch took me 3 minutes and only had to do it once. And one person can do it. View attachment 39778 View attachment 39779 View attachment 39780

This is the tool I used to push fluid into the slave cylinder. Really don't need it you can just used a 20 oz bottle with hose attached with fluid in there.
View attachment 39781
So with this I:

1. Put the new master cyl in.
2. Push fluid in.
3. And that's it?
4. Do I need to bench bleed the master first?

So with this I:

1. Put the new master cyl in.
2. Push fluid in.
3. And that's it?
4. Do I need to bench bleed the master first?
No need to bench bleed anything.
Basically that is all.
Work gear shifter and test reverse. If you notice any grinding then remove some of the fluid in the reservoir and pump it full again.

OP
B
Thread Starter #20
Yeah, just pushed the fluid through the new master cylinder from the slave cyl and hey presto no more issues.

The lower line from the master with that little seal did leak a biiiiiiiiit... but I got it sorted right.

The white plastic pin that hold the master to the pedal was a pain to push out too. but other than that. not a problem using that OEM tools syringe.