Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

modestly priced intercoolers?

I live in hot year round S.Fl. Im looking to put my 2014 Fist on a tune... Ill probably start witha cobb stage 1 93 octane tune, and go from there.... Maybe later bump it up with adding a stage 1 dizzy, or stratified tune or a cobb OTS stage 2 once I get bored with stage 1..Id like to upgrade the intercooler with the inital tune to keep the inlet temps down in my climate, with out of course, paying more then I need to.... and with out noticeably increasing turbo lag with the increased intercooler core volume... Depo racing, Woosh motor sports, mishimoto all have resonably priced intercooloers. assuming the downpipe and exhaust remains stock, how well do they dump heat? is the lag noticeable and are which one would work best with inital tune and possible "stage"increases?

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
I live in hot year round S.Fl. Im looking to put my 2014 Fist on a tune... Ill probably start witha cobb stage 1 93 octane tune, and go from there.... Maybe later bump it up with adding a stage 1 dizzy, or stratified tune or a cobb OTS stage 2 once I get bored with stage 1..Id like to upgrade the intercooler with the inital tune to keep the inlet temps down in my climate, with out of course, paying more then I need to.... and with out noticeably increasing turbo lag with the increased intercooler core volume... Depo racing, Woosh motor sports, mishimoto all have resonably priced intercooloers. assuming the downpipe and exhaust remains stock, how well do they dump heat? is the lag noticeable and are which one would work best with inital tune and possible "stage"increases?
In my opinion, the Whoosh V3 is the best bang for your buck, especially if you think you're gonna go big/hybrid turbo (cause it will support it, otherwise go with the V1) Boost lag stays the same and temps drop to about 5 degrees above ambient. The V3 FMIC works on a Dizzy stage 2. The only other I would consider is the Bravo Alpha (also on Whoosh's site) and is the biggest Intercooler you can fit without major changes to the crash bar and fitment area. The intercooler, a RMM (Whoosh is also great), some colder plugs, and E30 will pretty much max out the stock turbo.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
In my opinion, the Whoosh V3 is the best bang for your buck, especially if you think you're gonna go big/hybrid turbo (cause it will support it, otherwise go with the V1) Boost lag stays the same and temps drop to about 5 degrees above ambient. The V3 FMIC works on a Dizzy stage 2. The only other I would consider is the Bravo Alpha (also on Whoosh's site) and is the biggest Intercooler you can fit without major changes to the crash bar and fitment area. The intercooler, a RMM (Whoosh is also great), some colder plugs, and E30 will pretty much max out the stock turbo.
Yep this is what I went with. Haven't looked back.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

SrsBsns

I'm using the Depo IC and I'm running a Stratified E30 tune on the stock turbo. When I'm driving and actually moving, charge temps are always just a little over ambient. I'm super happy with it.

If you're going to keep the stock turbo, you don't need anything bigger than the Depo or Whoosh V1.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Also on a DEPO intercooler and a Stratified tune. No noticeable lag.

I paid $200 new for mine through a member though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
To the op, I've always wanted my car to have more headroom in case I decided to upgrade further. I've always gone bigger than I needed, if it was too expensive I waited. With that being said, I'm almost certain whoosh, depo and cpe all use Garrett cores which are very good intercoolers. You'll get very miniscule differences in temps using these types of intercoolers. I installed whooshes v3 intercooler and saw 15 degrees difference in charge temps cruising 5 degrees under wot which made a huge difference, I was able to tune harder. What I would do is get a solid goal of your power level, research the forums, buy when your educated. This will give you the least buyers remorse.

OP
B
Thread Starter #8
To the op, I've always wanted my car to have more headroom in case I decided to upgrade further. I've always gone bigger than I needed, if it was too expensive I waited. With that being said, I'm almost certain whoosh, depo and cpe all use Garrett cores which are very good intercoolers. You'll get very miniscule differences in temps using these types of intercoolers. I installed whooshes v3 intercooler and saw 15 degrees difference in charge temps cruising 5 degrees under wot which made a huge difference, I was able to tune harder. What I would do is get a solid goal of your power level, research the forums, buy when your educated. This will give you the least buyers remorse.

Thats why im asking. I do research the products I buy. Im not looking for "cheap".... Im looking for value. Ill pay more if it suits my needs better. Im not looking to win a bunch of drag races, just increase the fun to drive factor without killing reliability. Most entry level tunes dont require an intercooler upgrade, that may be all I think the car will ever need (probably not)... Im upgrading before I need to because I think it is worth the cost to minimize the increased wear and tear the additional heat levels will cause.

OP
B
Thread Starter #9
I'm using the Depo IC and I'm running a Stratified E30 tune on the stock turbo. When I'm driving and actually moving, charge temps are always just a little over ambient. I'm super happy with it.

If you're going to keep the stock turbo, you don't need anything bigger than the Depo or Whoosh V1.
I have been kicking the tires on an E30 tune that allows me to switch back to a 93 octane map when I want... other then locating E85 fuel and decreased fuel efficiency... what is the downside to an E30 tune? does it place more stress on the engine then 93 octane conventional fuel tune would? Basically... is running e30 going to blow my motor?

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
I have been kicking the tires on an E30 tune that allows me to switch back to a 93 octane map when I want... other then locating E85 fuel and decreased fuel efficiency... what is the downside to an E30 tune? does it place more stress on the engine then 93 octane conventional fuel tune would? Basically... is running e30 going to blow my motor?
Not at all. The max the stock turbo can output is 230 HP if you're lucky. The internals of the engine can withstand 300+. Technically, E30 runs cooler than 93 gasoline so it should be more beneficial. Not sure if that's true or not.

Se7eN

I agree with this.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
All of the intercoolers that are right at the $300 price range $299 are all basically the exact same if not the exact same.
The Cpe and V3 are basically the same.
And of course you have the bravo intercooler the king of all of them.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

SrsBsns

I was worried about that too, but the more I read, the better I felt. It doesn't sound like E30 puts a ton more stress on the car. Really, the stock turbo is limited in what it can boost, so boost levels are similar between the 91/93 tunes and the E30 tunes. Since you're mixing to get E30 instead of running pure E85, I understand that the fuel filter and injectors are able to handle it without any negative effects.

The hardest part is consistently finding E85 to fill up and to make sure that you've got the right mixture. I'm not sure if my gas mileage really dropped that hard from the fuel, or if it's just that I'm having a harder time keeping my foot out of it.

OP
B
Thread Starter #14
I was worried about that too, but the more I read, the better I felt. It doesn't sound like E30 puts a ton more stress on the car. Really, the stock turbo is limited in what it can boost, so boost levels are similar between the 91/93 tunes and the E30 tunes. Since you're mixing to get E30 instead of running pure E85, I understand that the fuel filter and injectors are able to handle it without any negative effects.

The hardest part is consistently finding E85 to fill up and to make sure that you've got the right mixture. I'm not sure if my gas mileage really dropped that hard from the fuel, or if it's just that I'm having a harder time keeping my foot out of it.
Yeah fortunately I have a few stations on my daily route that have E85. Id probably have switchable separate tunes for both 93 and e30 though in case I come across a reason to not use E30. Is it really that much more noticeable then Just a 93 Octane tune?

SrsBsns

Yeah fortunately I have a few stations on my daily route that have E85. Id probably have switchable separate tunes for both 93 and e30 though in case I come across a reason to not use E30. Is it really that much more noticeable then Just a 93 Octane tune?
Yeah, I have different map slots for E30 and for 91 on the same tune file. It makes switching back and forth super easy.

I would say that E30 is pretty significant. It's not this huge crazy jump in power or anything, but the car just feels stronger.

OP
B
Thread Starter #17
Yeah, I have different map slots for E30 and for 91 on the same tune file. It makes switching back and forth super easy.

I would say that E30 is pretty significant. It's not this huge crazy jump in power or anything, but the car just feels stronger.
Thanks... I have to do some more research. According to what I know now from my research, your gas mileage has actually dropped, Standard gasoline is hard to beat in power efficiency, its why we still use it as much as we do. I need to know how an E30 tune changes the maintenance requirements of the car. I can get the fuel just fine. Its not that big a deal to mix them. But if it makes more power, additional stress is placed somewhere. I want more power (of course), but not if its going to wreck a pretty fun car already because now it needs ___ oil viscosity and changes at ___ intervals that I'm ignorant to... etc. Power adders seem to never be a "free lunch" and always have some downside. So forgive my skepticism with E30. Has anyone ran this for awhile? what was your experience like? What do I need to monitor more closely?

Last edited:
OP
B
Thread Starter #18
I bought mine from alibaba for 150 dollars
Thanks.... but Im not looking for cheap alibaba/ebay one offs. Maybe they are as good as the models that cost 2X as much... maybe not. Id rather go with the 2X as much model now, then learn I guessed wrong and then buy the 2x as much model I should have bought to begin with, and repair the issues the cheaper model has caused because I didn't...... Im looking for a reputable value, from a reputable manufacturer. I'd rather "buy once and cry once" like Typhoon Fist said... Just cry as little as possible for a modest needs.

Last edited:
subscribing - I have similar plans as the OP (Stage 1 or 2) but don't want to limit myself
- Will going bigger, e.g. V3, BA, etc. have any detrimental effects if staying Stage 1/2?
- Any known long term corrosive effects of running E30?

SrsBsns

Thanks... I have to do some more research. According to what I know now from my research, your gas mileage has actually dropped, Standard gasoline is hard to beat in power efficiency, its why we still use it as much as we do. I need to know how an E30 tune changes the maintenance requirements of the car. I can get the fuel just fine. Its not that big a deal to mix them. But if it makes more power, additional stress is placed somewhere. I want more power (of course), but not if its going to wreck a pretty fun car already because now it needs ___ oil viscosity and changes at ___ intervals that I'm ignorant to... etc. Power adders seem to never be a "free lunch" and always have some downside. So forgive my skepticism with E30. Has anyone ran this for awhile? what was your experience like? What do I need to monitor more closely?
You sound like me from 6 months ago haha. I was doing all of that research too because I wasn't comfortable just pulling the trigger on E30.

My gas mileage probably has dropped, but it hasn't been significant. From here in SD, I generally use about 1/2 a tank driving to LA on 91. With E30, I'm probably burning an extra quarter tank on the same one-way trip. What works for me now is to use E30 whenever I'm around town but then switch back to normal 91 for any longer drives. With the different map slots on the same tune, that's very easy to do.

From what I read, E30 doesn't put additional stress or wear on the fuel pump, filter or injectors. The ECU is pretty good at determining your fuel mixture, so as long as you're close to E30, you're safe. I've read that you don't need to make any changes to your fuel system until you start running E50 mixtures.

In regards to more power, from what I understand, the stock turbo can only handle around ~25lbs which is reachable using 91/93 tunes. E30 helps to keep temps lower and reduce/prevent knock, so the ECU can increase timing. E30 doesn't necessarily mean more boost.

On my AP, I'm always watching boost levels, charge air temps, oil and coolant temps, and then corrections on cylinders 3 and 4. With E30, I've never seen positive correction. With these monitors always on, I feel pretty good about running E30 safely. I've been running it pretty consistently now for about 4ish months.

subscribing - I have similar plans as the OP (Stage 1 or 2) but don't want to limit myself
- Will going bigger, e.g. V3, BA, etc. have any detrimental effects if staying Stage 1/2?
- Any known long term corrosive effects of running E30?
I don't think going bigger will have any adverse effects if you're going to stay with stage 1/2. It's just more than you need. You could get coilovers and corner balance them but it's overkill if all you're doing is getting groceries. It won't hurt, but there's really no need.

I haven't heard of any long term negative effects, but I'm only about 4 months into my experience with the corn juice. Car starts and drives exactly the same, just feels stronger on E30.