Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune intercooler when perfect fitment is priority number one.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I installed my mountune intercooler today great fitment absolutely perfect. No modifications necessary whatsoever no bumper being pushed.

I have had this car for three years I'm finally glad to have this modification done.
I have been bouncing around with what intercooler to get for a long time. Perfect fitment was priority number one to me.

View: https://youtu.be/iji3qBD_mXk

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
Ford ST

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #2
So I was driving the car this weekend with my wife and she said the car feels stronger.
It definitely helps with the power consistency especially in this July heat.
I'm sure it's going to feel great in cooler weather.

Last edited:

Zormecteon

When I had mine done (at a Ford Racing Shop) the mechanic commented that all the parts from mountune that he's seen have been .. as you say... perfect fit, exactly as factory. He was particularly expressive about all the silicone hoses being so.

I installed my mountune intercooler today great fitment absolutely perfect. No modifications necessary whatsoever no bumper being pushed.

I have had this car for three years I'm finally glad to have this modification done.
I have been bouncing around with what intercooler to get for a long time. Perfect fitment was priority number one to me.

View: https://youtu.be/iji3qBD_mXk

Looks great! I just ordered a kit from Mountune that includes the intercooler, a RMM, air-filter and a Cobb AP for my 19. Hopefully it'll arrive by the end of the week, how tough was the install?

OP
Ford ST

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Looks great! I just ordered a kit from Mountune that includes the intercooler, a RMM, air-filter and a Cobb AP for my 19. Hopefully it'll arrive by the end of the week, how tough was the install?
Not that bad. The only thing I would recommend is a swivel socket to get the bolts between the fender and bumper cover.
Mountune, cobb and ATP all have instructions you can get from their websites. Plus many YouTube videos.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Are you planning on doing any logs to compare the BATs?

OP
Ford ST

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Are you planning on doing any logs to compare the BATs?
Don't give me a hard time, but I'm actually going to do the tune next year.
When I do I will definitely update this post with the temperatures.

With that said if anybody has a mountune intercooler feel free to post your temperatures. Just make sure you have the bar and plate one and not the older tube and fin.

Last edited:

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
My last car I hacked to death, so I appreciate not wanting to start cutting/drilling/modifying. Every owner needs to decide what the car is to them. If you have any doubts about keeping the car, I'd go your route which is easy to reverse and may not be noticeable to the untrained eye.

OP
Ford ST

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
My last car I hacked to death, so I appreciate not wanting to start cutting/drilling/modifying. Every owner needs to decide what the car is to them. If you have any doubts about keeping the car, I'd go your route which is easy to reverse and may not be noticeable to the untrained eye.
It really is a great part. I'm very happy with it. The stock unit is kind of a joke it weighs about as much as a feather.

Isn't the Mountune IC almost the exact dimensions as stock or just fractionally larger? That is why it fits so perfect? I was under the impression that it's basically a quality upgrade over stock, with minimal gain in volume or surface area?

Not ripping it, I have a few Mountune parts and love the quality but I am told the reason it fits best is because its basically not any larger.

OP
Ford ST

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Isn't the Mountune IC almost the exact dimensions as stock or just fractionally larger? That is why it fits so perfect? I was under the impression that it's basically a quality upgrade over stock, with minimal gain in volume or surface area?

Not ripping it, I have a few Mountune parts and love the quality but I am told the reason it fits best is because its basically not any larger.
The mountune intercooler is about a 1/2 thinner and 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch shorter than the other aftermarket intercoolers and that is why it fits perfect.

Stock FiST IC
Core Dimensions:
27.5" x 5.25" x 2"
Core Volume:
288.75 in

Mountune IC
Core Dimensions:
29.25" x 5.75" x 2.5"
Core Volume:
420.47 in
37.145% difference over OEM FiST IC
3.4401% difference over OEM FoST IC

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/fiesta-st-intercooler-info-thread.6401/#js-post-138571

If you haven't done it yet put a Mountune Radiator on your Next To Do list. I waited about a year with my 2019 because scheduling a lift at a friends shop was a bit difficult. Finally scheduled a Friday off and headed over to get the radiator in place. Now that it's done I don't EVER hear the cooling fan unless I decide to exercise the air conditioning. Even in 95 degree heat the engine temp stays nailed at 4 bars.

BTW, I grew up without air conditioning and still like the feeling of wind coming into the car. Thus my habit of Excercising my air conditioning about once a week. I have a 1985 Monte Carlo SS I bought new and found out the hard way that if you don't use the air you will lose it and replacing the compressor, evaporator, and every darned fitting gets expensive fast. Hopefully running the air once a week will keep it in operating condition on the FiST.

Anyhow since installing the Mountune radiator I've noticed a 10% increase in the gas mileage. Right now about 300 miles into a tank the fuel tattletail is showing 36.2 mpg and an average speed of 27 mph due to lots of stop and go driving. That is about a 4 mpg improvement in the City driving cycle. However I haven't really goosed the FiST much on this tank so I may do a bit of that this weekend. When I fill it up the actual mileage has gong from about 30 mpg to 33 mpg.

As for power, cant really say if I'm actually getting more power. However one thing is certain, I am not losing any power to Heat Soak. Passed a clown driving 22 mph in a 45 using second gear and was getting a lot of torque steer hits and occasional chirps from the tires so it was on the ragged edge of what the traction control could cope with. If I ever do get the MR230 tune I know for certain that I'll need tires wider than the 205's on the car now.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
With that said if anybody has a Mountune intercooler feel free to post your temperatures. Just make sure you have the bar and plate one and not the older tube and fin.
I don't remember if anyone ever posted up why they switched to a bar and plate from the tube and fin.
Did they ever give a rationale/engineering reason for the change? (NOT knocking it, or them, just curious [wink]).

Brianmc27

I don't remember if anyone ever posted up why they switched to a bar and plate from the tube and fin.
Did they ever give a rationale/engineering reason for the change? (NOT knocking it, or them, just curious [wink]).
The tube and fin one was super light-weight and high quality (Pro-Alloy, I believe) - I think it was better served in the UK where temperatures are generally cooler.

The bar and plate one is heavier but more efficient at cooling - so it served the US better, especially with Mountune USA being based in Sunny California.

I may be wrong, but that’s the way I understood it.

They are the exact same dimensions, just different designs for different climates.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Bar and plate tends to heat soak slower, but it also sheds heats slower once soaked.

You can find pro con videos and articles everywhere. For the daily commuter either is fine.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Bar and plate tends to heat soak slower, but it also sheds heats slower once soaked.

You can find pro con videos and articles everywhere. For the daily commuter either is fine.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I know/heard all of the arguments pro/con for each type, I just was wondering if Mountune's engineering department themselves ever gave a definitive reason for the switch. [wink]

Hoping they'll put it on sale again at some point. I'd love to do theirs, but it's a bit much at $600.

OP
Ford ST

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
I paid $509. They normally always has some type of up to 20% off sale going on. Spring 20, summer 20, fall 20 and so on.

I got 15% off.

Actually does seem they've got a Summer 20% sale going right now. Hmm... may be pulling the trigger on the intercooler/radiator a bit early.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
They switched over here because Mountune U.S. was getting a lot of complaints about the intercooler being a waste of time and inefficient. Partly because of the posts on this forum and all the early adopters that realized anything beyond a stock turbo with it here in the U.S. where we see higher ambient temps than the U.K.. .
Anyways bottom line rather than quoting all the other posts. IMO They went to to bar and plate because bar and plate cores are more readily available and due too marketing by certain bar and plate intercooler companies that are huge in automotive business people tend to think its better. Whether or not it is. It’s a debate.

Excellent tube and fin intercoolers are what the top end car manufacturer’s use not bar and plate.
That aside so they had a bar and plate core made for our market specifically much like our Mountune radiator is a company from here relabeled. They us a U.K. supplier for the radiator over there.
Its definitely a larger core than the old Tube and Fin model they used to import.

In fact the faq about it should be updated as it has more core area and capacity than currently listed.

It is sold with the MRX as a kit and they could not have done that if it was not a larger core that would work with an upgraded turbo.

With that said I bought a kit from Mountune for a great price that gave me my AP open for external tunes, Intercooler( bar and plate version) Intake, RMM,.

I am running the Mountune Bar and Plate and charge temps with tunes have not been an issue. I am planning on a Turbo upgrade shortly here so we will see how the Intercooler works with the bigger Turbo.

Last edited: