Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Radiator vs Mishimoto Radiator

Mishi or Mountune Radiator Upgrade?

• Total voters

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I would say if you want one buy it don't wait.
They are not the type of company to continue to make stuff forever they discontinue stuff.

Example I wanted a chassis brace they made they no longer make it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #43
I paid $625 for mine and don't regret it one bit. Just wish I had bought one sooner..
Same here. I had it on the list for a long time. But because it was normally in the 600 range I mentally considered it a big buy. With as easy as it was to install and the benefits it provided it would have been my second modification following AP and Tune if I was to do it again.

OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #44
First real hot day to test the Mountune radiator since upgrade.

>95*f ambient
intake temps ~105*f
charge air temps ~110*f
90 minute drive / max 85mph mean 35mph

At their peaks the coolant went to 199.9*f (normal temp I see even in cold weather) and oil got up to 218*f with my a/c blasting the whole way. This same ambient temperature, environment, and drive *last year* saw coolant temps of 237*f and oil temps of 230s*f. Change of almost 40*f on coolant and 12-15*f on oil. F* Yeah Mountune, F* Yeah.

View: https://media.giphy.com/media/xUPGctzUJGYIUnQNqw/giphy.gif

>95*f ambient
intake temps ~105*f
charge air temps ~110*f

At their peaks the coolant went to 199.9*f (normal temp I see even in cold weather) and oil got up to 218*f with my a/c blasting the whole way. This same ambient temperature, environment, and drive *last year* saw coolant temps of 237*f and oil temps of 230s*f. Change of almost 40*f on coolant and 12-15*f on oil. F* Yeah Mountune, F* Yeah.

Awesome. Got my Mountune sitting in the garage for install soon. And considering it hit 95 here in SoCal yesterday, and we are now lots of 90-100 days through mid October, that is great to hear.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club

>95*f ambient
intake temps ~105*f
charge air temps ~110*f

And that's with our mild weather here in NoVA. Imagine how much it helps our southern and SW friends. I'll get one eventually.... I just mailed out my Reserve Retirement Pay package. However, an LSD is my first splurge item.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

>95*f ambient
intake temps ~105*f
charge air temps ~110*f

Did you use anything in place of the factory foam around the sides of the radiator to take up the gaps and help direct airflow?

OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #48
Did you use anything in place of the factory foam around the sides of the radiator to take up the gaps and help direct airflow?
I did not. Along this line of thought, but slightly different, is that I recently plugged the snorkel. I'm running the 2J Racing Cowl intake (so the snorkel does nothing) and realized that the snorkel being open would likely lower the airflow through the radiator. Duct tape for the win.

OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #49
And that's with our mild weather here in NoVA. Imagine how much it helps our southern and SW friends. I'll get one eventually.... I just mailed out my Reserve Retirement Pay package. However, an LSD is my first splurge item.

Oh, I'm sure. With any luck they don't have the stop and sit nonsense we do. That is awesome! LSD will be epic!

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Oh, I'm sure. With any luck they don't have the stop and sit nonsense we do. That is awesome! LSD will be epic!
West Palm Beach has become horrible.

I'll start getting paid by NYE. I'll buy the LSD from my rainy day (emergency/unemployment funds) and put it back in two months easy. After that, 90% of net pay will go on the mortgage...

Last edited:

TemecFist

Figured I'd tag on to an already existing, relevant thread as opposed to starting a new one -

Since I plan on occasionally tracking this car, I'm looking to improve cooling based on folks that have run these on the road course. Planned upgrades:
- Whoosh V3
- Mountune radiator
- Whoosh coolant hoses
- Motorcraft (orange) coolant, 2 gal

Any other bit & pieces to upgrade while i'm in there?
Are the clamps that come with the Whoosh hoses adequate?
Suggestions on different parts, e.g. Mountune hoses?

Lastly, any potato head instructions available for the radiator removal from the bottom?
If your going to do silicone hoses, just remember that they are permeable and you can actually lose coolant thru them (as well as always having a coolant smell). Just keep an eye on the coolant level a little more religiously.

If your going to do silicone hoses, just remember that they are permeable and you can actually lose coolant thru them (as well as always having a coolant smell). Just keep an eye on the coolant level a little more religiously.
Interesting...I didn't know that. Now I'm wondering if I should stick with the stock hoses as I don't want to smell coolant

TemecFist

Interesting...I didn't know that. Now I'm wondering if I should stick with the stock hoses as I don't want to smell coolant
It's kind of hit or miss tbh. I have had silicone hoses before where I didnt smell anything and had no loss of coolant, and then I had ones where I did smell coolant. Maybe there are different types of silicone? I actually have the Mountune hoses now but haven't put them on, they are prob the same as the Whoosh hoses. My car goes back to my guy on the 21st and I'll be getting it back on the 27th. Those hoses will be put on then. If you want, I'll let you know how it goes. I'm like you, I hope they dont smell. Lol.

This is a great point that many don't realize!

Silicone is something like 15 times more permeable than EPDM rubber for water vapor. The actual coolant/water itself usually doesn't escape, but vapor will. And not all silicone is created equal.
Cheap stuff will leak more than a higher end composition.

Silicone composition will make a difference in how much you lose, heating and cooling cycles, and also the amount of trapped air in your coolant circuit.

They are seldom recommended for a daily driver, but are fine for more dedicated race cars where you're under the hood every weekend checking stuff anyway.

Here's a link from a silicone hose supplier that does a quick comparison:
https://www.siliconehose.com/blog/silicone-vs-rubber-hose/

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If/when I install an aftermarket radiator, it is getting all new OEM EPDM hoses.

I had some built by Samco (which is a premium hose company) silicone coolant hoses on my LS1 Z28, and they absolutely 'sweated' coolant which yes, you could smell, and make you worry about a leak. [:(]
No thanks.

TemecFist

If/when I install an aftermarket radiator, it is getting all new OEM EPDM hoses.

I had some built by Samco (which is a premium hose company) silicone coolant hoses on my LS1 Z28, and they absolutely 'sweated' coolant which yes, you could smell, and make you worry about a leak. [:(]
No thanks.
The Mountune hoses are made by Samco.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The Mountune hoses are made by Samco.
At least they used to be.
The ones that do NOT have the little Samco logo under the Mountune stylized race flag M printed on them, are NOT made by Samco any longer.

This is according to Mountune themselves, because I asked a while ago when my charge hoses showed up without that Samco logo on them. [wink]

TemecFist

At least they used to be.
The ones that do NOT have the little Samco logo under the Mountune stylized race flag M printed on them, are NOT made by Samco any longer.

This is according to Mountune themselves, because I asked a while ago when my charge hoses showed up without that Samco logo on them. [wink]
Interesting, I'm going to have to check mine now. I wonder who makes them for Mountune now?

OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #60
I stayed OEM original for hoses. After reading this I would probably choose OEM if I needed to replace otherwise I would choose original (again). I’m not pushing crazy horse power though. I don’t think a hose would make a difference on my car.