Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Tuning

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #21
I'm just wrapping up my tuning with Randy and things have been going well. I did "back to back" data logs at sunset when the roads are clear, and sent Randy 2 data logs at one time every week. A week later he replied back with a new tune with small adjustments. I just sent him my last two data logs, but sent 12 in total over the 45 day tuning period. Make sure you scout out a nice flat and smooth road ahead of time. My first two data logs were taken on a bumpy road, and Randy noticed.
Appreciate the feedback, advice and your experience. I will certainly make sure I find a good stretch of road. So how is your tune and car running now? You have a final tune?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It should be the time limit doesn't start until your part is actually shipped and on its way to your abode or if until you make first contact to start it Via Email. [driving]

I've also been happy with Randy. I'm now going through the second round of tuning due to adding more hardware. The first time made a huge difference from stock and my current round is also going well. I think he tunes a little bit more on the conservative side versus some of the other tuners, but I'm willing to give up a few hp for great reliability/ worry free driving. Just like everyone else has said, do what he says and you'll come out happy at the end.

There is a ceiling for the amount of air every turbo can move which is the ceiling for power generally speaking. Don’t expect miracles from tuners on the stock turbo (or any turbo)

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #25
I've also been happy with Randy. I'm now going through the second round of tuning due to adding more hardware. The first time made a huge difference from stock and my current round is also going well. I think he tunes a little bit more on the conservative side versus some of the other tuners, but I'm willing to give up a few hp for great reliability/ worry free driving. Just like everyone else has said, do what he says and you'll come out happy at the end.
Good to hear and appreciate it. I agree, I rather have a more conservative tune then have issues and reduced reliability.

Appreciate the feedback, advice and your experience. I will certainly make sure I find a good stretch of road. So how is your tune and car running now? You have a final tune?
Tune is running well and has a noticeable increase in torque. You're not going to get a lot of HP, but the throttle response and torque is where its at and I'm OK with that. I don't feel my tune is conservative, and I'm letting Randy do his job. Personally I want as much performance as he safely can get out of my engine. Mind you that I'm at elevation here in the Mile High City running 91 octane. You should have no problem getting more HP and torque out of that thick NJ air and High Octane Rocket Fuel available in your parts. Another tip, be sure to drive the tune and get some miles in before data logging. It takes some time for your car to learn and make adjustments. I will provide an update once Randy closes me out after reviewing my last few data logs.

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #27
Tune is running well and has a noticeable increase in torque. You're not going to get a lot of HP, but the throttle response and torque is where its at and I'm OK with that. I don't feel my tune is conservative, and I'm letting Randy do his job. Personally I want as much performance as he safely can get out of my engine. Mind you that I'm at elevation here in the Mile High City running 91 octane. You should have no problem getting more HP and torque out of that thick NJ air and High Octane Rocket Fuel available in your parts. Another tip, be sure to drive the tune and get some miles in before data logging. It takes some time for your car to learn and make adjustments. I will provide an update once Randy closes me out after reviewing my last few data logs.
All good to hear and glad everything is going so well for you. For sure keep me updated on your progress and final product. I am looking forward to receiving my order and getting it all installed and running.

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #28
My car only has approximately 600 miles on it as I just got it. Any issues, pros or cons on install the Mountune FB2 package parts and tune on it with this low mileage? Does the car need any type of brake in period before doing so? Or is it better this way because it will really be all the cars knows right from the beginning?

green_henry

1000 Post Club
My car only has approximately 600 miles on it as I just got it. Any issues, pros or cons on install the Mountune FB2 package parts and tune on it with this low mileage? Does the car need any type of brake in period before doing so? Or is it better this way because it will really be all the cars knows right from the beginning?
Go for it! Cars are so much easier to wrench on when they're new, clean, and corrosion free ;)

All good to hear and glad everything is going so well for you. For sure keep me updated on your progress and final product. I am looking forward to receiving my order and getting it all installed and running.
Just wrapped up my tune with Randy. I asked if it was worth purchasing more time to really dial in the car. He said we could go after a little more power, but since my time limit was up it was going to cost a couple hundred dollars more for another block of time. He hinted that if I was satisfied with the power gains and the car was fun, that it was not worth the extra time and money.

If I were to do it again I would ask Randy if he preferred 3rd or 4th gear pulls. In his instructions it mentions either, but it sounds like 4th gear pulls put a more realistic load on engine for collecting good data. I kind of wish I did 4th gear pulls as I have capable roads near my house. I usually did one or two scouting passes before data logging, and always waited for a clear road. Just be safe, smart, and honest about what you’re doing. I had one guy catch me off guard when he passed me during a data log pull. He popped over the hill behind me doing 100mph in hisTacoma pickup. I didn’t make that mistake twice.

Overall, I’m very happy with Mountune Randy’s calibration. It seems the more I drive his newest calibration rev. the better the car runs.

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #32
Just wrapped up my tune with Randy. I asked if it was worth purchasing more time to really dial in the car. He said we could go after a little more power, but since my time limit was up it was going to cost a couple hundred dollars more for another block of time. He hinted that if I was satisfied with the power gains and the car was fun, that it was not worth the extra time and money.

If I were to do it again I would ask Randy if he preferred 3rd or 4th gear pulls. In his instructions it mentions either, but it sounds like 4th gear pulls put a more realistic load on engine for collecting good data. I kind of wish I did 4th gear pulls as I have capable roads near my house. I usually did one or two scouting passes before data logging, and always waited for a clear road. Just be safe, smart, and honest about what you’re doing. I had one guy catch me off guard when he passed me during a data log pull. He popped over the hill behind me doing 100mph in hisTacoma pickup. I didn’t make that mistake twice.

Overall, I’m very happy with Mountune Randy’s calibration. It seems the more I drive his newest calibration rev. the better the car runs.
Appreciate the update and helpful. Sounds like all good news. How many data logs / revisions did you do and how often?

Appreciate the update and helpful. Sounds like all good news. How many data logs / revisions did you do and how often?
Sent 4 data logs the first time (2 stage 0

The first set of 4 data logs is used to compare stock tune vs. Mountune (2 each). Then I sent 2 data logs a week following each new revision. You should drive the tune at least 4-7 days before logging to allow for adjustments. Went through 4 revisions total.