Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune vs Cobb Tuning RMM

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Looking to upgrade the rear motor mount at some point in the near future. However, I'm concerned about rattling and vibrations.

Between the Mountune and Cobb Tuning RMM, which is more liveable on a daily basis?

Zormecteon

Haven't tried them both...... have the mountune... don't even notice it except that the car doesn't seem to "scrabble" when I mash the pedal in first or second gear, it just goes.

My Cobb RMM has broken in nicely after almost 2 years. The a/c hardly causes any vibe now at idle. It did at at first.

Zissou

Looking to upgrade the rear motor mount at some point in the near future. However, I'm concerned about rattling and vibrations.

Between the Mountune and Cobb Tuning RMM, which is more liveable on a daily basis?
I've never had the Mountune, so I can't speak to that. But the Cobb is very livable. I hear the Mountune is about the same, so either one should have minimal NVH once they break in.

I wrote up my thoughts on the Cobb, as well as the Boomba (which you will absolutely not want - lots of NVH)
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/7995-Cobb-and-Boomba-RMM-Review

I believe it was mod bargains that wrote a comparison between the Cobb and Mountune mounts, both of which are considered to be on the tamer end of what's available. Their conclusion was that the Mountune was softer than the Cobb. I bought the Mountune because of this review and can attest that it is pretty tame. It broke in pretty quickly IMO, I've only had the car for a year and with 6k miles on it I don't do much driving, maybe 1-2k on the Mountune and it's really tame. Sometimes I'll get a bit of buffeting (taking a James May line there) with the A/C on and the front windows down, but cracking a rear window fixes this. Plus it's only temporary to let all the hot air out after the car has been sitting in the sun all day. Otherwise it's hardly even noticeable once it breaks in and if you do a good amount of driving it won't take long.

I considered both but wound up getting the Cobb. The reason is because you have to do a slight bit of drilling to install the Mountune and I didn't want to do that. I have about 300 miles on mine. The NVH is very little but you can definitely feel it with the A/C on - and only at idle. Small price to pay, and mine haven't broken in yet.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is why I went with the boomba....direct fit....no drilling ....end of story. Love it....not as much wheel hop...imo. All the mounts "break in" after I certain amount of time. All which in my opinion are better than the stock RMM.

Zormecteon

I'm not much of a mechanic, but the one who did my mountune one didn't drill it out, but rather used a chisel and "unbent" the folded over metal that retains that part. It may have taken a little longer, but it came off much cleaner with no loss of metal.

I've had my Cobb RMM since about 1500 miles, so... 7000 miles now? I don't love it, but I don't hate it. I also don't really remember what the oem mount was like. I do remember feeling like the shifts and traction became noticeably better after I installed the Cobb RMM. One thing in particular I noticed about my RMM is that it seems to come slightly loose over time and requires a re-torqueing to me once in awhile. After that the car magically feels so much better, but gradually develops more "slop" back into the driving not long after. I don't know what's going on down there, but the RMM definitely develops some play or gets loose in some way. I've been torqueing it back to the 50 ft/lbs required of it with the engine studs, so I'm not sure what it could be. I have not re-tightened it more than twice because it's a pain in the ass. It's fine as it is and it's not like it's going to come out. It just loses some of that magic from first install. Shifts feel glassy smooth when it's newly tightened, though.

People say it breaks in, but I've never really experienced this; it's my opinion that most people just become desensitized to it. Mine still gives a decent amount of feedback at startup and with the AC on. Especially with the AC on and sitting idle at a stoplight or something. It's much better while moving.

Haven't had any experience with the Mountune RMM, but the only thing they drill out is the bracket. You can buy another one of those if you decide you want the oem mount back on, I guess.

Just a note, in Mountune's install video they say the tighten the bolts to 24nm, which is like 17 ft/lbs of torque. It's wrong and they correct it on the paper instructions to be 70nm, or 50 ft/lbs of torque. Also be careful of shearing the nuts and part of the stud off when reinstalling the downpipe bracket. It happened to me and the nuts are a pain in the ass to find. They are mislabeled in Ford's parts catalog and they will send you m10 bolts instead of the m8x1.5 bolts it needs to thread properly.

As for the Boomba mount; it's pretty harsh. Quality, but harsh. I like that they include a new bracket with it, as it is less hassle overall. It breaks in, but I don't know how long that takes. If you really want to keep the engine in place and don't mind a bit more NVH, then get this or the CPe mount.

I'm not much of a mechanic, but the one who did my mountune one didn't drill it out, but rather used a chisel and "unbent" the folded over metal that retains that part. It may have taken a little longer, but it came off much cleaner with no loss of metal.
I just installed my Mountune RMM this weekend, and the CJPonyParts video on Youtube shows the install of the Cobb RMM reusing the factory bracket by just tapping it off with a hammer. I just used a small pry bar to pop the bracket off the factory RMM and then just carried on with the installation of the new RMM. Everything seemed to fit fine, so unless anyone has experience to the contrary I don't see why drilling out the factory bracket is mandatory.

There is mild but noticeable vibration transmitted into the interior at idle, but there is also noticeable improvement to everything else you'd expect. Better hookup and better shift accuracy. I think tit is a reasonable tradeoff.

I've had my Cobb RMM since about 1500 miles, so... 7000 miles now? I don't love it, but I don't hate it. I also don't really remember what the oem mount was like. I do remember feeling like the shifts and traction became noticeably better after I installed the Cobb RMM. One thing in particular I noticed about my RMM is that it seems to come slightly loose over time and requires a re-torqueing to me once in awhile. After that the car magically feels so much better, but gradually develops more "slop" back into the driving not long after. I don't know what's going on down there, but the RMM definitely develops some play or gets loose in some way. I've been torqueing it back to the 50 ft/lbs required of it with the engine studs, so I'm not sure what it could be. I have not re-tightened it more than twice because it's a pain in the ass. It's fine as it is and it's not like it's going to come out. It just loses some of that magic from first install. Shifts feel glassy smooth when it's newly tightened, though.
I'll be curious to see if mine does the same thing. I suppose I can tighten it while I'm under there for an oil change. Also a good time to check the charge pipe couplings notorious for coming loose.