Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune's new MR230 Upgrade Kit Revealed

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
FYI....

https://www.facebook.com/Mountune/posts/1059526794064543

"Revealed exclusively at the Cars and Coffee event today in Essex is the Mountune MR230 upgrade for the mk7 Fiesta ST. As the name suggests, the MR230 upgrade kit delivers a performance uplift to 230PS (227bhp) at 5500rpm with 340Nm (250lb-ft) of torque available from 3000rpm."

MR230.jpg

MR230b.jpg

MR230c.jpg

Revealed exclusively at the Cars and Coffee event today in Essex is the mountune MR230 upgrade for the mk7 Fiesta ST. As the name suggests, the MR230 upgrade kit delivers a performance uplift to 230PS at 5500rpm with 340Nm of torque available from 3000rpm.

As with almost all MR upgrade kits, the base hardware used in the MP kit is retained, in this instance the induction kit, to enable and easier and less expensive transition to MR level performance.

Joining the induction kit is a high-flow silicone induction hose and charge pipe upgrade kit, an uprated alloy intercooler, high-flow downpipe with 200-cell cat and a twin-tip cat-back exhaust system. All hardware can be added in a modular fashion except the downpipe, which is recommended to be installed together with the MR230 calibration.

The MR230 calibration is supplied using an mTune handheld device - for customers who are currently running an MP215 installed with an mTune, an in-field downloadable firmware update is available at a greatly reduced cost.

mountune's engineers spent a great deal of time developing this kit to ensure that it delivers the optimum level of performance with the OE turbocharger, whilst maintaining the maximum possible reliability of the engine and transmission components.

To help do this, the MR230 upgrade kit is also supplied with a mountune locking tool to adjust the cam timing. Working with the OE turbocharger compressor map, it was evident early into the development process that simply adding the appropriate hardware wouldn't be sufficient to maximise what was, in reality, a small operating window to extract additional performance.

As part of the upgrade, the cam timing has been optimised and to ensure a quicker, more accurate method of timing them accordingly, a bespoke tool is included for the installing technician.

The altered cam timing provides a definite improvement in power and also helps hold on to the torque higher up in the rev range.
The end result is the docile, OE-like day-to-day driving experience you've come to expect from a mountune calibration, which, at the depression of the throttle, spools into action, delivering a wave of torque that's difficult not to smile at, with an induction and exhaust note that's hard not to enjoy in equal measure!

For customers running the market-leading MP215 upgrade, the MR230 delivers a whole lot more of the same torque-related characteristics, but with a noticeably stronger top-end, and for those with a standard Fiesta ST, the change in performance is understandably, dramatic.

With the kit installed, the 0-60mph time drops to 5.9 seconds, a full 1-second improvement over the standard model In-gear and midrange acceleration is improved upon even more substantially thanks to the 340Nm readily on hand.

As an MR upgrade, your warranty may be affected as it does not benefit from the same exemption that the MP upgrades provide. However, the cat-back exhaust is covered by a limited lifetime warranty and our standard 12-month / 12,000 mile warranty against manufacturing defects is applicable to the remaining hardware.

MR230 from MP215 costs - 1995 inc. VAT
MR230 from a standard Fiesta ST costs - 2295 inc. VAT
Bookings are being taken now at MT HQ with April installation dates.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
This looks like a great kit.
Too bad Ford won't authorize it here in the US as the downpipe/CAT most likely will never get CARB approved.

I already have everything, just a different exhaust system.

Dave

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #3
"As an "MR" upgrade, your warranty may be affected as it does not benefit from the same exemption that the MP upgrades provide. However, the cat-back exhaust is covered by a limited lifetime warranty and our standard 12-month / 12,000 mile warranty against manufacturing defects is applicable to the remaining hardware".

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Still a nice kit.

I would love to hear the sound of this exhaust.
It should be a little higher pitch then my 3 inch.
With a little more crackle and pop because of no resonator.

Dave

Mechanical cam timing tuning vs computer cam timing tuning? Anybody else do this already?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Lot of loot for a non warranty friendly option.. Great stuff but spendy..

me32

1000 Post Club
Pretty cool kit. Seems like a pretty big gain. I would like to see a real world car with this kit an its gain.

meFiSTo

Any word on the specifics of the octane requirements on fuel for this tune? I'm not seeing anything in the above. The MP215 is a 91 octane tune (I believe). Same for this? At some time downstream, might be interesting to go this route (means adding some intake plumbing and swapping exhaust bits to what I have, plus the tune).

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
[MENTION=9]rodmoe[/MENTION] I would wonder if they would just sell the tool to reset the cams.
Then have Randy revise our tune to take advantage of it.

Dave

Any word on the specifics of the octane requirements on fuel for this tune? I'm not seeing anything in the above. The MP215 is a 91 octane tune (I believe). Same for this? At some time downstream, might be interesting to go this route (means adding some intake plumbing and swapping exhaust bits to what I have, plus the tune).
I think the mtune is 93 by default but I got my MP215 installed at mountune and they specifially asked what octane I was using and I think I got a 91 octane version of the same map.

Why is Mountune holding back? It's an MR kit afterall...
Completely agree. I have the MP215 and have ben waiting on this for so, so long now and, I have to say, I'm a little dissapointed. I expected something like a new MP230 and then an MR250 at least. Also the price is steep in my opinion.

Don't know if anyone could answer this but...say if you already have the MP215 with the charge pipes and induction hose that come with the MR230, then you went out and spent 450GBP on the cat-back. Then a few months down the line you decided you wanted the full MR230...could you just buy an mTune and re-map the ECU yourself?

Yes (I think for 2 reasons)
1- No real ETA on the MR230; MP215 is here now
Mountune are officially taking orders for the MR230 today (Monday 23rd March) for April fittings. Not sure about US though, would imagine a good few months before it goes over there.

MOFiST

Personally think my Borla sounds better then that. Looks good but I wouldn't buy it.
Love that Borla sound B)

the favorable exchange rate for us Aussies make this Mountune exhaust competitively priced for us. Our US exchange rate make your exhausts more expensive once shipping is factored in. Just bought the Milltek cbe oh well. I'm sure I'll love it.

Completely agree. I have the MP215 and have ben waiting on this for so, so long now and, I have to say, I'm a little dissapointed. I expected something like a new MP230 and then an MR250 at least. Also the price is steep in my opinion.

Don't know if anyone could answer this but...say if you already have the MP215 with the charge pipes and induction hose that come with the MR230, then you went out and spent 450GBP on the cat-back. Then a few months down the line you decided you wanted the full MR230...could you just buy an mTune and re-map the ECU yourself?
There was a post on the Mountune facebook that covered something like this. If you have all the parts for the MR kit but didn't buy it as a kit, they'll upload the MR map to your mtune free of charge. I'll find the reference.