Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mtune Handset

Hi guys, I bought a third hand dealer tuned ST with what I assume was stage 1 Mountune tune.

The guy I bought it off was never given the handset, but have recently come across the original owner who still has the handset who is willing to sell it.

Now, I know the Mtune handsets are massively restricted over the Cobb and there's lot you can't do with them.

Long story short... I'm only interested in this handset because I don't think the car currently has the tune on it and that's what I'm after. With the Mtune, could the previous owner have pulled the tune off the car before he'd sold it? Or with these standard Mtune tunes are the tunes in the car for good untill over written?

Additionally, is the Mtune handset which came with my car able to be used with another Fiesta? Or is it linked to my vin?

Any help would be appreciated, don't want to spend the money for the handset only if the car still has the tune...

Thanks

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ask him specifically if it's the MP215. It will have mountune printed on it instead of Cobb, and a faux carbon fiber cover on it. https://www.mountuneusa.com/Fiesta-St-Mp215-Performance-Upgrade-p/2364-215-aa.htm
If it has the aluminum airbox, too, that's probably what it is. It's unlikely that the tune was removed.

Mountune does other tunes, too, but the handset will look like a regular Cobb.

OP
D
Thread Starter #4
Ask him specifically if it's the MP215. It will have mountune printed on it instead of Cobb, and a faux carbon fiber cover on it. https://www.mountuneusa.com/Fiesta-St-Mp215-Performance-Upgrade-p/2364-215-aa.htm
If it has the aluminum airbox, too, that's probably what it is. It's unlikely that the tune was removed.

Mountune does other tunes, too, but the handset will look like a regular Cobb.
Yeah man, has the metal air box, short shift kit, mountune matt's, mountune badging etc so I'm assuming it's whatever the Stage 1 tune was the dealers were selling them with was which I assume was the MR215?

Is it possible to remove the tune with the Mtune handset? Could that have been done? Other people have said once the MR215 is on it can only be over written or the ecu refreshed by ford and that you can't remove the tune with the MTune handset...

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah man, has the metal air box, short shift kit, mountune matt's, mountune badging etc so I'm assuming it's whatever the Stage 1 tune was the dealers were selling them with was which I assume was the MR215?

Is it possible to remove the tune with the Mtune handset? Could that have been done? Other people have said once the MR215 is on it can only be over written or the ecu refreshed by ford and that you can't remove the tune with the MTune handset...
I believe that's correct. Talk to the original owner. I'm sure he didn't pay money to remove the tune. You probably have that tune, and the handset is pretty useless, but it can scan codes, so it's worth having, just not all the time. I didn't install it permanently, but kept it in the car for that.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
You can use 3rd party tunes with the Mountune handset?
Only if they are not MP215 handsets reading from your description you could have a MP215 or MR230 Tune. Those were sold in the UK. Being you are in New Zealand there is also a possibility those handsets may not be locked as the locking thing was for the U.S. per our smog laws. XR650 is correct you should check with Mountune UK about it.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Only if they are not MP215 handsets reading from your description you could have a MP215 or MR230 Tune. Those were sold in the UK. Being you are in New Zealand there is also a possibility those handsets may not be locked as the locking thing was for the U.S. per our smog laws. XR650 is correct you should check with Mountune UK about it.
I'm pretty sure those were locked, too. They were sold as warranty-friendly, so they wouldn't want people messing with the tune.

I replaced mine with a hotter tune and an intercooler after 3 years. I'd have saved a bundle just by doing that in the first place. It's not a "hot" tune, but the MP215 is definitely spicier than stock, and you don't need any other hardware to run it.