Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My official Race Chip thread 2.0 -

Maybe you were shipped a VW "chip" and thus the VW instructions? Anybody think of that? Needless to so say if somebody from Germany or Austria or whatever sends me some VW instructions and some extra wires to plug into my relatively new and valuable daily driver I am getting a little concerned.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #22
Maybe you were shipped a VW "chip" and thus the VW instructions? Anybody think of that? Needless to so say if somebody from Germany or Austria or whatever sends me some VW instructions and some extra wires to plug into my relatively new and valuable daily driver I am getting a little concerned.
I don't get why you guys insist on assuming the worst. So first off i called the company today to get the tracking number, and he had my unit listed for the FIST 1.6L EB. So from his end, it was for the right car. Then there's the fact that the instructions show the VW unit only having one male/female wire clip, mine has 4 of each.

So much for that theory eh? What's next, the factory put the wrong "chip" in the unit casing? For real, you guys are about as chipper as a twice neutered cat.

jeff

2000 Post Club
I don't get why you guys insist on assuming the worst. So first off i called the company today to get the tracking number, and he had my unit listed for the FIST 1.6L EB. So from his end, it was for the right car. Then there's the fact that the instructions show the VW unit only having one male/female wire clip, mine has 4 of each.

So much for that theory eh? What's next, the factory put the wrong "chip" in the unit casing? For real, you guys are about as chipper as a twice neutered cat.
It’s because we care about you and your car. You asked for advice about this on your other thread, we told you the truth, and you act like a victim.

You bought a part that makes impossible claims to add power to your car using sketchy shortcut techniques and they didn’t even sent you the right install instructions. Cobb, who knows what they are doing, claims a 2% HP gain using their no hardware tune; your device claims 22% but they sent you VW instructions. You’d think with all that great R&D and expertise they’d include install instructions for the right car. Yeah we’re gonna say glass half empty.

You’re going to get some great (and unusable) torque gains and you will feel happy. I’d hate to see what your ignition corrections look like though.

🔺Concern trolling. Btw, with ALL this concern about the OP and his car, who here has installed this exact chip? So he’s saying why assume anything and see what happens. If he doesn’t like it he returns it. No one is wringing their hands and telling people not to do burnouts which is way more detrimental to the car. I think trying to be right all the time is boring and pedantic.

jeff

2000 Post Club
🔺Concern trolling. Btw, with ALL this concern about the OP and his car, who here has installed this exact chip? So he’s saying why assume anything and see what happens. If he doesn’t like it he returns it. No one is wringing their hands and telling people not to do burnouts which is way more detrimental to the car. I think trying to be right all the time is boring and pedantic.
The man has been posting for the last two weeks asking for educated and experienced perspective as he prepares to modify his car. Many of us have spent a good while trying to help him sincerely. I don’t think its trolling in most cases, just a community trying to help a new member. You are right none of us have used this part on our car, but anyone with a basic understanding of tuning sees this product for what it is.

Last week he was asking about mod paths and I put 20 or 30 minutes of sincere effort responding to his posts. This week it’s all about the race chip and I have spent another 20 or 30 minutes posting trying to offer help.

HBEcoBeaST

I don't understand how the same piggyback controller can be used on both USA and EU spec FiSTs? I'm assuming at the very least they'd have to tap into the MAF sensor and fool something about how much air is coming into the motor and my understanding is the US and EU spec FiSTs differ in how they measure incoming air? (MAF vs MAP sensor)

Having used this exact technology before in other piggyback modules (they all work on the same principle) usually they tap into timing, intake, boost and exhaust sensors or whatever sensors the car uses to measure those parameters.

OP can you post a picture of the actual "chip"? The connections in particular. Maybe the OP is truly the first in the US to run this chip so the problem has never been encountered before.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #29
I don't understand how the same piggyback controller can be used on both USA and EU spec FiSTs? I'm assuming at the very least they'd have to tap into the MAF sensor and fool something about how much air is coming into the motor and my understanding is the US and EU spec FiSTs differ in how they measure incoming air? (MAF vs MAP sensor)

Having used this exact technology before in other piggyback modules (they all work on the same principle) usually they tap into timing, intake, boost and exhaust sensors or whatever sensors the car uses to measure those parameters.

OP can you post a picture of the actual "chip"? The connections in particular. Maybe the OP is truly the first in the US to run this chip so the problem has never been encountered before.
It's not exactly the same controller, at lest not from the install videos i have seen online. AFAIK the European version has two intercepts, the turbo boost sensor and the manifold pressure sensor, that's what i saw in videos where people showed the installation. The US 1.6L version is apparently different, it has 4 intercepts, boost pressure, intake manifold, air mass, and camshaft.

I doubt im the first to run it but im guessing 99.9% of all people in the tuning world play follow the leader, like how in the original FATF movie, the store owner says whatever Toretto runs in his car the kids all go out and pay cash for the same parts. Somebody mentioned in Europe they don't have our tuning options so these chips are maybe more popular, here probly not so much.

But this is exactly why i have taken the advice with a grain of salt, nobody here has actually used this product so they don't really know how it will work. Im willing to try. Here's a pic of the wires, there's 4 main leads, each having a male intercept and a female for the car's plug. 20190808_101937_HDR.jpg 20190808_101937_HDR.jpg

At the moment im waiting for my engine to cool then i will go install and test. Almost ready folks !

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's not exactly the same controller, at lest not from the install videos i have seen online. AFAIK the European version has two intercepts, the turbo boost sensor and the manifold pressure sensor, that's what i saw in videos where people showed the installation. The US 1.6L version is apparently different, it has 4 intercepts, boost pressure, intake manifold, air mass, and camshaft.

I doubt im the first to run it but im guessing 99.9% of all people in the tuning world play follow the leader, like how in the original FATF movie, the store owner says whatever Toretto runs in his car the kids all go out and pay cash for the same parts. Somebody mentioned in Europe they don't have our tuning options so these chips are maybe more popular, here probly not so much.

But this is exactly why i have taken the advice with a grain of salt, nobody here has actually used this product so they don't really know how it will work. Im willing to try. Here's a pic of the wires, there's 4 main leads, each having a male intercept and a female for the car's plug. View attachment 22548 View attachment 22548

At the moment im waiting for my engine to cool then i will go install and test. Almost ready folks !
Hahahaha nope. That looks like a nightmare. What if the connectors aren't OE spec, what if the thing is pinned wrong. Nope nope nope. I'd be more comfortable with tapping existing wires and playing match the colors.

I am very interested to see this installed.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #31
But he doesn't care about that. Just butt dyno results.
You have the personality of a turd. Don't tell me what i care about, i just don't want to spend the money for a dyno right now, id rather save it for my next part. But im willing to do what i can to show the results, if that's not good enough for you then too bad.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #32
Hahahaha nope. That looks like a nightmare. What if the connectors aren't OE spec, what if the thing is pinned wrong. Nope nope nope. I'd be more comfortable with tapping existing wires and playing match the colors.

I am very interested to see this installed.
Lucky for you im the one doing this, you are better off playing follow the leader and copying everybody else. Walk the line sheep boy.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You have the personality of a turd. Don't tell me what i care about, i just don't want to spend the money for a dyno right now, id rather save it for my next part. But im willing to do what i can to show the results, if that's not good enough for you then too bad.
Yes I understand that, I'm pretty sure we'd actually get along IRL, but online I'm an asshole and I'm not really sorry bout it. I understand the apprehension for the dyno and being costly, but you don't have any other gauges to measure any results do you?

Lucky for you im the one doing this, you are better off playing follow the leader and copying everybody else. Walk the line sheep boy.
LOL. Sheep boy. Ok. I tried and tested plenty of parts on this car to find out what does and does not work. I want to see this thing installed, I want to hear what you have to say about it.

Spork1569

I

But this is exactly why i have taken the advice with a grain of salt, nobody here has actually used this product so they don't really know how it will work. Im willing to try. Here's a pic of the wires, there's 4 main leads, each having a male intercept and a female for the car's plug. View attachment 22548 View attachment 22548

Wow that is a lot more cables than I was expecting.

jeff

2000 Post Club
With all due respect, @MagnetiseST actually has a point. Your only means of evaluating this product is your subjective impression. You don't have any real dyno data to back it up, you can't measure timing or boost or air flow or negative corrections or any objective data that would normally be used to create and evaluate a tune. You're only going on feel and what the manbuns in the white sneakers said on the videos.

You're sort of contradicting yourself, too. You posted last week wanting to know the best mod path, where we specifically talked to you about the different steps to take beginning with an AP. You acted interested in taking the slow path and building it right. Then you very quickly bought a product that cannot be used as a basis for your build and went against all the advice you supposedly wanted/listened to...

Your earlier thread, very different tone...

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/hp-upgrades-by-cost-including-labor.21234/

NOW

:unsure:

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but as I stand back and look at this it smells fishy.

1. New guys blasts into the forum, starts tons of threads, asks tons of questions.
2. These questions are "newbie" questions and therefore attract some new blood who are new to modding.
3. After all advice is given and (it seems) well-received, same new guy then introduces new product that goes against all sound experience and data and at the same time supposedly beats the other options in terms of performance. Rather than ask for advice this time though, new guy buys the product and prepares for review.
4. Same new guy vehemently defends his product but does so (mostly) nicely. Why get mean when you're trying to sell something?
5. Same new guy will (no doubt) prove us all wrong by experiencing amazing butt-dyno gains.

I don't really think that racechip gave you one at a discount to infiltrate this forum and sell product, nor that you work for them, but considering the way this is playing out, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ever the pessimist. I hope to prove your expectations wrong.
And you never listen to advice.
It seems like everytime people tell what you do not agree with you make it personal.

Oh and no I am not a pessimist. I just have been around the block a few more times than you and know better. Lol

Oh and one more piece of advice your argument loses all weight when you start making it personal.
I also learned that quite awhile ago.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
With all due respect, @MagnetiseST actually has a point. Your only means of evaluating this product is your subjective impression. You don't have any real dyno data to back it up, you can't measure timing or boost or air flow or negative corrections or any objective data that would normally be used to create and evaluate a tune. You're only going on feel and what the manbuns in the white sneakers said on the videos.

You're sort of contradicting yourself, too. You posted last week wanting to know the best mod path, where we specifically talked to you about the different steps to take beginning with an AP. You acted interested in taking the slow path and building it right. Then you very quickly bought a product that cannot be used as a basis for your build and went against all the advice you supposedly wanted/listened to...

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/hp-upgrades-by-cost-including-labor.21234/

NOW

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but as I stand back and look at this it smells fishy.

1. New guys blasts into the forum, starts tons of threads, asks tons of questions.
2. These questions are "newbie" questions and therefore attract some new blood who are new to modding.
3. After all advice is given and (it seems) well-received, same new guy then introduces new product that goes against all sound experience and data and at the same time supposedly beats the other options in terms of performance. Rather than ask for advice this time though, new guy buys the product and prepares for review.
4. Same new guy vehemently defends his product but does so (mostly) nicely. Why get mean when you're trying to sell something?
5. Same new guy will (no doubt) prove us all wrong by experiencing amazing butt-dyno gains.

I don't really think that racechip gave you one at a discount to infiltrate this forum and sell product, nor that you work for them, but considering the way this is playing out, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.
You know I read that thread, I didn't even realize it was the same person. How does one make the jump from wanting an AP to this? Anyhow... I like your deductions, no matter how far fetched they seem. I think its interesting that this thread got a 2.0 after the shit show that was the last one. But even if my tone isn't amazing, I am interested to see how this thing does, even if it is just his own impressions. The only real data he could collect would be racing a car with an AP with a stage 1 tune I suppose, and doing multiple runs.

HBEcoBeaST

This looks similar to the flowmaster Delta boost module my buddy had on his raptor although his only had 3 sensor taps and something that gets power somewhere. The dealer could tell he had it installed even after removed because it makes the ECU look like it's been running lean and abnormal. (Which wasn't an issue with his mod friendly dealer). Different brand but all piggyback units work the same way.

Hope they get back to you with instructions. I'm sure you will get gains but calling everyone else a 'sheep' for getting an AP isn't cool. At least we make more power.

I'm all for people trying new things but it seems like everyone is so defensive about their own choices and what this guy does. You have to at least give him credit for being honest about the actual product he received and it's lack of instructions vs the default "it works great! I told you so!" that he could have posted.

Dpro

6000 Post Club

NOW

Ya I forgot about that. It does start to seem like we are being sale trolled. There is a certain business in Texas that has recently started tuning that is running around giving out free tunes for the sake of these kind of posts and social network credibility.