Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My official Race Chip thread 2.0 -

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #141
@Clint Beastwood thanks for the reply!

I’m on Dizzy Stage 1. What this is all *really* telling me is to get my FMIC so I can load up my e30 tune.
Is that a must? Im ready to get my e30 going and don't have my FMIC yet, but i thought that was just a matter of heat. As i understand it, e30 lets you push more boost without building as much heat, reducing both knock and heat soak. So in theory, wouldn't e30 help in a similar way that a FMIC does, reducing heat all around? If so it would seem, if we are pushing a specific PSI, you would need a FMIC sooner running normal gas than with e30. Just looking for clarification.

Brianmc27

Is that a must? Im ready to get my e30 going and don't have my FMIC yet, but i thought that was just a matter of heat. As i understand it, e30 lets you push more boost without building as much heat, reducing both knock and heat soak. So in theory, wouldn't e30 help in a similar way that a FMIC does, reducing heat all around? If so it would seem, if we are pushing a specific PSI, you would need a FMIC sooner running normal gas than with e30. Just looking for clarification.
Nope, ethanol burns cooler in the engine allowing for a more aggressive tune.

FMIC increases air-cooling volume for the turbo, allowing cooler intake temps. Heat-soak has to do with rising intake temps. Different systems are affected.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #143
Nope, ethanol burns cooler in the engine allowing for a more aggressive tune.

FMIC increases air-cooling volume for the turbo, allowing cooler intake temps. Heat-soak has to do with rising intake temps. Different systems are affected.
Gotcha makes sense thx brian.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I ran my e30 Stratified Tune without an upgraded intercooler on the stock snail without any issues....FYI.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
FMIC increases air-cooling volume for the turbo, allowing cooler intake temps. Heat-soak has to do with rising intake temps. Different systems are affected
Not different systems. When we talk about heat-soak we mean that the I/C itself is hot and is not cooling the charge as effectively. Smaller intercoolers heat soak more quickly. In other words, heat rejection is how effectively the intercooler can throw off heat while thermal mass is how quickly the intercooler itself heats up. Intercoolers with a smaller thermal mass heat soak more quickly.

HBEcoBeaST

Do you keep track of intake charge temps on your AP? Just curious as to how they look especially considering the engine is probably being pushed harder on E30.
Not since I got my last ticket. AP stays disconnected atm. I'm running a canned tune for my current mods (intake only). Stratified can request another ~10whp with an intercooler they told me. The tuner should compensate for your IC stock or not.

I don't experience heat soak. Don't track the car but it does get driven like it was meant to be around cones and around town🤪

Although an intercooler and radiator are due by the end of the year as I slowly progress towards a new turbo. Really enjoying every stage of this car's transformation.

Spork1569

Not since I got my last ticket. AP stays disconnected atm. I'm running a canned tune for my current mods (intake only). Stratified can request another ~10whp with an intercooler they told me. The tuner should compensate for your IC stock or not.

I don't experience heat soak. Don't track the car but it does get driven like it was meant to be around cones and around town🤪

Although an intercooler and radiator are due by the end of the year as I slowly progress towards a new turbo. Really enjoying every stage of this car's transformation.
Whats your plans for the turbo? I wanna eventually go hybrid but smog worries in CA are my main concern. That and the possibility of being pulled over and ref'd.

HBEcoBeaST

Whats your plans for the turbo? I wanna eventually go hybrid but smog worries in CA are my main concern. That and the possibility of being pulled over and ref'd.
Hybrid but I'm probably a year out realistically.
Trips, my wedding and work....

Pay only if you pass stations are your friend. If it can pass the systems check and sound not obnoxious you're good.

Getting state refd really sucks happened first week I had the car. She poked at the turbo and anything beyond a hybrid and st200 intake would have been noticed. It was my AP, lack of plates, lack of registration and going 90 in a 45mph that did me in. Basically stupidity

Spork1569

Pay only if you pass stations are your friend. If it can pass the systems check and sound not obnoxious you're good.

Getting state refd really sucks happened first week I had the car. She poked at the turbo and anything beyond a hybrid and st200 intake would have been noticed. It was my AP, lack of plates, lack of registration and going 90 in a 45mph that did me in. Basically stupidity
I guess my worries are on the visuals, I have an st 200 intake I'm 50/50 on removing when smog time comes.

Other things like the crossover and upgraded silicone charge pipes will have to go but I do wonder how strict the stations would be. Like would a symposer delete attract attention or can you easily explain it doesn't affect emmisioms?

HBEcoBeaST

S
I guess my worries are on the visuals, I have an st 200 intake I'm 50/50 on removing when smog time comes.

Other things like the crossover and upgraded silicone charge pipes will have to go but I do wonder how strict the stations would be. Like would a symposer delete attract attention or can you easily explain it doesn't affect emmisioms?
Smog stations usually don't know or don't care. If they plug into your obd2 port and if it passes, they take your money and get on with their day. Pretty sure my smog they didn't even pop the hood

Spork1569

S

Smog stations usually don't know or don't care. If they plug into your obd2 port and if it passes, they take your money and get on with their day. Pretty sure my smog they didn't even pop the hood
Cool just gotta find myself a station like that lol. I don't have anything that really affects emmisions so I don't doubt it would pass pretty easily.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #155

Excellent i will be following your progress young sir, i'd love to upgrade my turbo but being married with 3 kids, i just can't budget it yet. Im hoping in a couple years i can free up the dough, probably from tax returns. My condolences on the marriage, all pain will fade though 🤪

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club

See I’m not clear on the charge pipes, since there’s a provision for “functionally equivalent replacements” but that isn’t well defined. Probably worth it to just throw the stock ones back on.

Spork1569

See I’m not clear on the charge pipes, since there’s a provision for “functionally equivalent replacements” but that isn’t well defined. Probably worth it to just throw the stock ones back on.
Mines a 2016 so I think I have at least a few good years of smog abatement left.

I wonder if it's a different length of time when you buy used or whether I still get the full 6 years or whatever it is.

Brianmc27

Mines a 2016 so I think I have at least a few good years of smog abatement left.

I wonder if it's a different length of time when you buy used or whether I still get the full 6 years or whatever it is.
It is actually 8 years in CA now. Used or not. Enjoy! We have until 2024!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HBEcoBeaST

Honestly for smog you guys are overthinking. If it passes the computer test you're good. I'm not even sure they do the sniffer test anymore?

I bought my car used from out of state so I had to smog. Left my AP tune installed on stage 0 bc I thought that was the 'stock' tune. I had the AP itself disconnected though. It passed

State inspection is a different story and you were either doing something you shouldn't have been or you're very unlucky.