Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My official Race Chip thread 2.0 -

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #122
Thanks man I appreciate the support here. Feel like I'm trying to extend goodwill here and it's continually rejected along with further attack.

Sorry to the OP that this went so far off topic. Looking forward to more thoughts on your product.
No apologies necessary but i will say this. Im a very good "driver", i was just commenting on the fact that if my car can't go full out without losing grip, these other cars must bc very hamstrung with their power. As for my understanding of the physics, as i mentioned in the other thread i think, i have been a student of that for a long time, including the parameters of friction coefficient (static vs dynamic). Years before i got into the camera world, i read a book called The Story of Light (Ben Bova), when i bought my first camera i was very aware of how light behaves, which is what photography is all about. Cars are a similar story for me.

Even though i've never been "into" cars, i've always been into them if that makes sense. I was the guy who played video games and was spending hours tweaking the gear ratios and doing time laps, i've just never taken the plunge and bought a sporty car IRL till now. I'm kind of a big picture guy, i might not know the small details yet as that comes with experience but i know the essence.

I love to drive, i love to drive fast and im pretty good at it, perhaps when my little ones are older and i have more time and freedom, i will end up doing track days and such. Or change my name to Toretto and form an underground racing league!

jeff

2000 Post Club
No apologies necessary but i will say this. Im a very good "driver", i was just commenting on the fact that if my car can't go full out without losing grip, these other cars must bc very hamstrung with their power. As for my understanding of the physics, as i mentioned in the other thread i think, i have been a student of that for a long time, including the parameters of friction coefficient (static vs dynamic). Years before i got into the camera world, i read a book called The Story of Light (Ben Bova), when i bought my first camera i was very aware of how light behaves, which is what photography is all about. Cars are a similar story for me.

Even though i've never been "into" cars, i've always been into them if that makes sense. I was the guy who played video games and was spending hours tweaking the gear ratios and doing time laps, i've just never taken the plunge and bought a sporty car IRL till now. I'm kind of a big picture guy, i might not know the small details yet as that comes with experience but i know the essence.

I love to drive, i love to drive fast and im pretty good at it, perhaps when my little ones are older and i have more time and freedom, i will end up doing track days and such. Or change my name to Toretto and form an underground racing league!
Good stuff. I still can't agree with your current mod choices, but I'm here if you need perspective or assistance as you further your build.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I have heard a few reports of this chip making the throttle more "sensitive", but im not so sure they are labeling it properly. Granted im no old hand at this but the company RaceChip also sells a throttle tuner they call the XLR, i wouldn't think they would risk their XLR sales by adding that kind of feature to their other chips.

I could definitely be wrong but my hunch is people are just feeling more low end tq. I can still tell there's turbo lag till somewhere around 2300-2500, but when it kicks in it hits like a truck now. But yea i do get you, a more linear curve makes the power come more gradually and less likely to out tq the tires.
I dunno, there's a big difference between "feeling" more powerful and "being" more powerful. They could get away with a pretty small power increase
@jeff

Yeah I just ordered one of JDG's default "off" stock ESC modules. I don't trust the stock traction control either.

I've been playing around with the COBB AP TC slip multiplier and it's funny I was using your video as a tutorial ha.

One thing I've noticed is running the Federals and my set-up is I can't always tell that the tires are slipping. Pretty sure @Clint Beastwood said he didn't even know he was roasting his tires until he put a camera on his fender lol

I should be getting a fresh tune from JST on Monday for some recent changes I made and I'm really gonna start focusing in the TC multiplier. Pretty sure JST has custom multipliers as well but like you said I just need to play around with the settings first and get a feel for it.
Yep, with the Cobb RMM and my Indy 500's, I thought my car was just really really slow. I didn't realize that first and second gears just spun. I am on track to kill a set of Indy500's in about 12k miles. Once I realized what was happening I just get into third as quickly as possible before hitting the fun pedal.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thanks man I appreciate the support here. Feel like I'm trying to extend goodwill here and it's continually rejected along with further attack.

Sorry to the OP that this went so far off topic. Looking forward to more thoughts on your product.
Altruism is so rare that people don't trust it :(

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
LMAO All you did was shit on him in the most condescending of ways. Now you want to know more about the product. What a joke!
I think it amounts to morbid curiosity. We waved the OP off of trying to do this, but he did it anyways and now we're all just watching to see what happens. Nobody wants anything bad to happen but we can't help but be curious. I *hope* that everything turns out fine, I really do.

I think MRX and Jeff are probably both swell guys, but everyone needs to remember that tone doesn't carry well on the internet so it's easy to accidentally come across as a dick. If you are gonna serve up some shit, at least throw a lil' frosting on there too :p

Last edited:

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I think MRX and Jeff are probably both swell guys, but everyone needs to remember that tone doesn't carry well on the internet so it's easy to accidentally come across as a dick. If you are gonna serve up some shit, at least throw a lil' frosting on there too :p
I'm going to continue the OT path a bit more. I don't think that @jeff has ever come across as a dick. In fact, I think that Jeff goes out of his way to toss a bunch on frosting on all his posts. @MRX does come off as a dick, I think that he's ok with that; that's kinda his thing on 'webs and gives me a chuckle every now and again, even though his 'web personality is that of a wack job.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I think it amounts to morbid curiosity. We waved the OP off of trying to do this, but he did it anyways and now we're all just watching to see what happens. Nobody wants anything bad to happen but we can't help but be curious. I *hope* that everything turns out fine, I really do.

Just a a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down ...medicine go down... medicine go doooown

I'm going to continue to OT path a bit more. MRX does come off as a dick.......even though his 'web personality is that of a wack job.
you said it I. didn’t. No offense to MRX.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #130
Just a a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down ...medicine go down... medicine go doooown
If you guys are interested i started a tuner thread, just a few questions about the actual handheld units. LIke i said, i have 30 days to decide and im still looking and assessing.

If you really plan on proving it’s a viable option you really should run some instrumented testing.
Hi Clint, quick question in relation to monitoring parameters, I do not have access to a Cob/Mountune handset but use the Torque App and Bluetooth module what specif info should I ideally be logging/monitoring my ST is Euro speck as I am based in the UK.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Hi Clint, quick question in relation to monitoring parameters, I do not have access to a Cob/Mountune handset but use the Torque App and Bluetooth module what specif info should I ideally be logging/monitoring my ST is Euro speck as I am based in the UK.
You'd want OAR, knock, and ignition corrections. I do not know if Torque is bound deeply enough to the ECU to pull those parameters.

Brianmc27

You'd want OAR, knock, and ignition corrections. I do not know if Torque is bound deeply enough to the ECU to pull those parameters.
I followed some advice you gave about putting a gallon of E85 in with our crap CA 91 and it really helped with the negative corrections, so, thanks!

At what point would you be concerned about knock? I stopped monitoring so I would t drive myself crazy, but I got 1 knock count on my 20 minute drive to work today.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I followed some advice you gave about putting a gallon of E85 in with our crap CA 91 and it really helped with the negative corrections, so, thanks!
Glad it helped! Remember, if you don't run your tank empty every time, but still add a gallon at each fill-up, eventually you'll work up to a much higher ratio of E85 to premium fuel. I tend to add the gallon and a half of e85, go through 2 tanks of fuel filling at 25% remaining, then on the next fill-up add a gallon to a gallon and a half again.

At what point would you be concerned about knock? I stopped monitoring so I would t drive myself crazy, but I got 1 knock count on my 20 minute drive to work today.
I'm not the be-all end-all of tuning, but I recently posted a thread about occasional part-throttle knock/corrections (and got some great feedback) as well as contacted Dizzy about it (I am also obsessive about research. Literally.). The takeaway was, the occasional part-throttle knock isn't a good thing but it's not necessarily bad. If it's extremely infrequent AND it does not happen at full throttle AND your OAR stays in the same place all the time it's *probably* ok. If you're running a specific tune, it might be worth poking the tuner just to confirm. Jason@Dizzy said they could pull more timing in the midrange to compensate for me being lazy and lugging in third, I decided to just shift more. Totally called out :p

This was enlightening as well: https://stratifiedauto.com/blog/und...ons-in-your-high-performance-ecoboost-engine/

Also, false knock:
- my MBRP was occasionally hitting the mid-chassis brace, and would trigger a knock/correction.
- My 2J intake would occasionally flap around, and I'd hear it think then immediately see a correction as well.

This is all still new to me, with new-school electronics you can safely run *much* closer to the edge than what I came up with - for me, we did maps based on pure AFR's and either tuned super tight for a specific gas station/grade of fuel, or tuned conservatively enough that nothing would blow up if we went to a lower tier gas station.

My part-throttle negative correction isolation/remediation process went like this:
1. Stop boosting at 3k rpm, be less lazy and downshift more = fewer neg corrections on hot days.
2. Replaced 12k mile old sparkplugs = even fewer neg corrections on hot days.
3. Added a gallon and a half of E85 to a full tank of gas = almost no negative corrections. (car ran great, smelled like fuel more after stopping though. Not sure if related)
4. Avoid a bumpy road by my house that makes the MBRP hit the chassis brace = no negative corrections.
4.1. Went over train tracks on the way home from testing, MBRP thumped, instant negative corrections/knock.

Last edited:

Se7eN

3. Added a gallon and a half of E85 to a full tank of gas = almost no negative corrections. (car ran great, smelled like fuel more after stopping though. Not sure if related)
I keep a Gallon of E85 at home, and usually just do a small splash after add fuel (I rarely ever top off the tank), found out even a little bit goes a long way. Usually maybe 1/4 of a gallon, sometimes less. Also the smell thing is normal with E85.

PS. Gas where I'm from is shit, so this is a good way to keep the knocking away.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I keep a Gallon of E85 at home, and usually just do a small splash after add fuel (I rarely ever top off the tank), found out even a little bit goes a long way. Usually maybe 1/4 of a gallon, sometimes less. Also the smell thing is normal with E85.

PS. Gas where I'm from is shit, so this is a good way to keep the knocking away.