Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

my super-budget mind blowingly simple powered sub setup.....that beats.

HaveBlue83

Well, i was going to spend $600 on a sub box amp and install fee for the FiST.....but i cancelled the appointment. I wanted something different.

I picked this up from my audio/electronics guy. He made a bastard setup with a ported Klipsch home audio/computer sub box and a factory Sub from a car. He said he thinks it was a Bose setup. The Amp is matched for the sub from the factory....100w. The sub is 4". He retrofitted them into the box and found a nice 10ga sheathed cablw bundle for the connections and wired it up. He sealed it up with silicone as well.

The completed package cost me $50 cash. The wiring and connectors and all cost me $48 from autozone. Took about two hours to install. I ran a 10ga wire to the stereo fuse and used an Add-a-circuit. now, since its only 100w and 100w/12v = 8A. So its only pulling 8Amps lmao. I put it on a 10A fuse and it works awesome.

Screw big heavy setups! Im forever a 4"-6.5" man now! It makes my rearview mirror dance when the audio lows are set to +0. Sounds great. Im so happy.

Im getting a speaker grille for it. Dont worry.

Bring the hate!

image hosting over 5mb

iso100

1000 Post Club
Nice. I'm surprised that a 4" can kick like that.

OP
H

HaveBlue83

Thread Starter #4
It looks like hell in the sun and with no grille. It's no pretty thing but it's functional and only weighs 12lbs!

I might repaint it in black or carpet cover it so it's nice looking.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
It looks like hell in the sun and with no grille. It's no pretty thing but it's functional and only weighs 12lbs!

. I might repaint it in black or carpet cover it so it's nice looking.
Yeah, that's what I was going to say...paint or carpet it and it will look just fine! I've always liked the sound of smaller subs. Don't get me wrong..10"s, 12"s, 15"s+ hit hard, but in a car this size, you can get decent sound from smallers subs, if your not trying to win bass comps or annoy everyone around you.

OP
H

HaveBlue83

Thread Starter #7
yeah it hits hard and is barely noticeable outside the car. smaller subs keep it inside the cabin.

I don't have a remote bass controller, so until I add one in I moved the fader FORWARD, and that took some of the power away from the rear speaker that I tapped into, so it's less boomy. -yes, I had to turn it DOWN. LOL. it's effing boomy. I'm sure that 4" doesn't distort so the bass is tight and quick.

I need to just go get some 3m spray adhesive and some black carpet and do it right. cheap enough to do.

Waterfan

NEVER rule out a properly implemented ported box with a "small" driver. From the looks of it, the enclosure is WAY "too big" for the woofer, but that's what makes it awesome when ported properly. (Gets lower and louder than it has any "right to")

Reminds me of the "pinnacle of my amateur subwoofer career". I built a 4 cu ft, ported (4" port, 6" long) box with dual infinite baffle 10" subs (isolated with 2 cu ft each) crossed at 80Hz. (I forget how much wattage, but it was "sufficient"). DEEP and loud bass rivalling any other sealed 15" setup I had ever heard.

Yes, it was huge and took up >80% of my trunkspace, and yes, it was glorious :)

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Pretty much anything will beat in a hatchback. The only thing that really matters is the power to get the lows to reproduce clearly.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thump, boom and panel resonance is usually the outcome of lower priced "bass" ported bass solutions but the factory audio system is so horrid it can still help:)

For a more realistic sounding system one of these may be better.

Sealed box with decent sub and amount of power it needs, placement, enclosure size, etc all add up, is the easiest.

Ported, has to be tuned to the vehicle, most end up being one or two note wonders and a few sounding a bit like music, really well done can be incredible.

IB, not going to happen in this car so not worth discussing.

A hatch is really easy to get serious and very musical bass and I prefer to just fire a single sub up at the roof from the trunk well.

My Scion TC with a sealed 15" sub, ultra low weight enclosure and 1KW watts would do 138.4 db on music and sound incredible. That car also took second place in a national TT Race and won every audio comp for sound quality it was entered in.