Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My Story

February 22nd, 2014. I bought the car I had spent months researching, hours of reading, watching reviews from people who know how to drive better than I can. I am a car guy, however, this is my 12th car. I spent a little time pricing out options and checking availability. I walked into my local ford store and dropped off a check. Paid... in full.

Please be aware that I am not a rich guy at all, this was the vast majority of my earthly wealth here.

I got what I wanted, Really good seats and performance blue. The car also happened to have some things I didn't necessarily want, like the moonroof, but it was in stock and the offer was great, so I took it.

I picked the car up in the morning and dutifully reported to work. After work, I obviously wanted to enjoy my new car, so I took a ride. Nothing crazy.

I spent about three hours total in the car, grabbed my best friend, and got some dinner. Hooters, of course.
On the way back from queens, to my house on the south shore, the car was flawless.

About a block from the house, 5k rpm in first, go for the change to second, POP. chuggachuggachuuga.

I was shocked. I am not a young kid, not old, but not new to this game. This is my third turbo car, and having owned problematic turbo cars led me to believe that it was a massive vac leak... perhaps plumbing?

I get under the car and check all the fittings. Tight. Dammit. Pop the hood, intake intact. Dammit again. Coil packs? Injectors? I have no diagnostics tools on me. No recourse, I call the complimentary Ford RA and they dispatch a hook. The car has 144 total miles on it.

The call comes next day, its the worst possible case. Cam phaser failure caused the timing belt to jump. I have a complete lump for an engine.

The service manager gets on the phone, the cat that ate the canary. He is apologizing up and down. Arrange the rental and get the ball rolling for FoMoCo to authorize an engine.

Few days pass, corporate authorizes an engine instead of repairing the old one. The dealer and FoMo have both been great about this whole thing, and I have nothing but praise for them.

The catch is, the engine not been made yet. Today, a month later, its supposed to have cleared customs. We are expecting the car back by thursday or friday. Wish us luck.

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
Man your like the 2nd or 3rd person I have heard about this happening too! That sucks, good luck!

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Ouch man sorry for your pain this does suck and hope Ford makes reall good on it ..

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
That's just terrible. I can't believe this is happening on our cars.

Man your like the 2nd or 3rd person I have heard about this happening too! That sucks, good luck!
Catastrophic engine failure. Can happen at any time and any place. Design fault? Assembly fault? We don't need this. I wonder how many folks this has happened to if Colin knows of 2 or 3....................

Perry

Oy, vey. Not good, not good at all. I wish you hadn't had the problem, but am very glad the dealer and Ford are making good on it. (Though more slowly than one might wish!) I'm going to ignore the idea that this could be anything other than a one-off event, at least for the nonce. Should it come to pass that this is less than very, very rare, I guess I'll have to find ways of coping with the ensuing emotional crisis, but until then . . . cowabunga!

OP
ItMightBePizza
Thread Starter #9
Well, the car is ready. I'm going to pick it up in the morning. I have the day off tomorrow and I will see what's what. Probably going to take a drive out to Montauk if the engine is strong. I will stay on the south shore in case I have to take the LIRR back. The service manager at the store says it runs like a top and all is fine. I asked him if they put good mileage on the new engine and he said they did.

From the outset the car did not feel like a 200hp under 3k gvw machine. I chalked it up to break in (never did get to really put the berries to it) and not variable valve timing issues.

From what i gather the cam phaser used to be trouble in the F-150 as well... but these are two different systems I thought? am I wrong?

From what I gathered on the web I thought I was the first to pop one of these things. I am relieved to hear I am not, but worried that my investment may not have been sound!

Oh well, I didn't buy another little hot hatch for ROI, I bought it for SPG.

Well that's exciting to have it back. I was hoping to be the first FiST that drove the streets out here. Maybe I'll see you, pretty desolate place in the Winter, not many cars on the road.

OP
ItMightBePizza
Thread Starter #11
Well then I'll tell ya what, if I decide to make the hundred mile trip out, I will give you the honor of being the first down Old Mtk Hwy. I will take the 27 bypass and go up by the lookouts in Hither Hills.

That's a bastard because I love the hills and dips of Old Mtk Hwy.

Nah I can't take that fun away from you but maybe hit me up and I'll sit in the passenger seat. You make me doubt not getting the Recaros and I don't think it's too late to change it. So I think I need to sit in them again.